Tige Z1 more ballast ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tige Z1 more ballast ideas

I have 2008 Tige Z1 with 800# factory ballast.

Any ideas on how to properly add more ballast? I would like to add more without having sacs in the open part of the boat.

I was thinking about putting sacs in the back storage compartments. Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks.

For surfing or boarding?
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

We do both but mainly boarding.

Comment

The hard part to work around is going to be the fact that the Z1's really like weight upfront, so to use strictly hidden water ballast will be a trick.

If you wanted to spend the $$$, I would do a couple of custom sacs that would fit in the 2 storage consoles. Then depending on how much weight you can get up front, I would pull out the factory rear hard tanks and replace them with anything from the 400# v-drive sacs up to the 565# Gravity-games sac. The key is to keep at least a 50/50 front/back split.
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Ok thanks.

I thought about taking out the hard tanks. Good advice on keeping it 50/50. I always thought you wanted more weight in the back (40/60 front/back).

I assume you are talking about the rear storage consoles when you say "custom" sacs.

Comment

Originally posted by bdub1510 View Post
            Ok thanks.

I thought about taking out the hard tanks. Good advice on keeping it 50/50. I always thought you wanted more weight in the back (40/60 front/back).

I assume you are talking about the rear storage consoles when you say "custom" sacs.
            With the weight of the engine in the back of a V-drive, the 50/50 keeps the boat at about the same keel as it is now. You could even go 60ft/40rr but may find the nose a little low in the water at slow speeds and would require a very mindful driver

I'm talking about the driver's and passenger's storage amid ship and keep the factory bow sac (fills an est 300-400 lbs)

Comment

on the z1 i would say lean more towards 60 front 40 rear. If you switch out the hard tanks with 400lbs each then I would say your going to have to add weight in the floor uncovered upfront. I always put a big 600 lbs sack in the walkway all the way up to the bow, but that was only adding about 150 on each side in the back. Even with that the taps rarely ever could go about 4
              WAKE ZONE

Comment

I also find that riding at 70ft and longer is a little wide. By adding weight, would that solve this issue?

Comment

I rode at 75 feet behind mine between 22 and 22.5 We did try riding out longer but I found the best wake for me to be to right in that range. As you speed up that wake reall starts to get smaller. One of my friends rode at 70 and around 22 mph all the time behind my boat and he goes huge
                  WAKE ZONE

Comment

i think your gonna have to add weight in the bow ay no matter what. i run around 60/40 front/ rear.. i have a 22v so its a bit different. i had factory ballast but i took out my hard tanks and replaced them with 450's left in the factory front hard tanks which are about 150 a piece and made them over flow into a intergrated bow sack under the seats that is rated for 650 but prob only fills to about 400 or so. so i notice i was riding a little bow high and wake could get washy around 75 feet. so i added on 750 say to the walk way and it is a freakin sick wake. ride at 24 to 25 mph at 70 or 75 feet with taps on 2.5 to 3. massive and solid as oak baby!!!! 900 in rear/ 1500 in front .. i pull the 750 a little out of the bow way though. so the fron t of the bag would be at the back of the front seat and hangs out of the bow way about a foot. i am sure this set up would work awsome for you. and if you want i have my factory hard tanks from the rear of my boat i could hook you up with for cheap and you could stack em on top of the others and let them overflow into them.. good luck

Comment

We pulled the INT stop in Nashville w/ a Z1 this year. We used 2 350 lb sak's in the lockers and 4 100lb lead bars in the bow. With 4 people in the boat 65' to 75' looked pretty good.
                      Tennessee Tigé Boat Sales and Service
                      & Watersports Pro Shop www.tntige.com

Comment

Ok what about this.

Pull out the hard factory ballasts in the back storage by the engine. Replace them with 400# v-drive wedges. Use the existing plumbing.

Keep the existing factory bow sac under the seats (about 300#). Use a 1000# Pro-X open bow sac in the front.

Should be 1300# in the front and 800# in the back = 2100# total

Let me know what you guys think? I appreciate all the input. Very helpful. Makes me proud to be a tige owner.

Comment

would work. ,, might be a little nuch too far foward with the open bow sac. might want to use a 750 in the walk way so you can move it in or out of the walk way to fine tune it. either way you go you should be fine .. it will def make a big difference.

if you were gonna do that i would also get the 750 and lay it in the center of the boat..

it would give you almost 3 grand of weight and would be really sick at about 24 mph.. lol

Comment

Sorry to highjack, but I am looking to start my ballast intall on my Z1 soon. These are all great notes. Does anyone have a Z1 that could guesstimate what the integrated bow sac would fill to while in the storage area, and how would you split the weight for surfing?

Comment

Originally posted by DieselPWR View Post
                              Sorry to highjack, but I am looking to start my ballast intall on my Z1 soon. These are all great notes. Does anyone have a Z1 that could guesstimate what the integrated bow sac would fill to while in the storage area, and how would you split the weight for surfing?
                              The Factory Tige bow sac fills to about 350 to 400 lb's. 70/30 ft/rr split for surfing would be my starting point, the Z1 seems to like bow weight for surfing more them the Ve's

Comment

Working...
                              X