Want to add surf system to 2013 r20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Want to add a surf system to 2013 tige r20. We have the factory surf set up 1600lbs with vix plate. We have upgraded the rear bags from wake makers. I believe the new ones are 983lbs.

Has anyone removed the vx plate and put on an aftermarket surf tabs. Any input would be appreciated

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There are a few different options you can go with:

-Go Surf Assist. Probably the most complete kit and requires the least thinking. It is also the most expensive.
    -Home made. There are lots of options here, from a complete "trim tab" kit from Lenco to individually piecing parts together. Check out Wake Garage for some nice controllers that people have made.

You can read up on the homemade system I made for my old boat here:

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...hlight=taps+21

I could help put something similar together for you if you wanted to go that route.

Comment

Originally posted by UNSTUCK View Post
      There are a few different options you can go with:

-Go Surf Assist. Probably the most complete kit and requires the least thinking. It is also the most expensive.
      -Home made. There are lots of options here, from a complete "trim tab" kit from Lenco to individually piecing parts together. Check out Wake Garage for some nice controllers that people have made.

You can read up on the homemade system I made for my old boat here:

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...hlight=taps+21

I could help put something similar together for you if you wanted to go that route.
      Thanks that is great. I will keep you in mind when I get closer to it. -40 here right now. Was looking at trying to find dimensions for the 2019 r20 tabs and doing a similar thing like you did. My dealer doesn’t have any r20 in stock.

Comment

I'm 99.9% sure the taps 3 tabs are the same across the board. So R20 tabs are the same as, say, a ZX5.

Comment

I'm 99.9% sure the taps 3 tabs are the same across the board. So R20 tabs are the same as, say, a ZX5.
          Any idea how much deflection travel they have?

Comment

Negative good buddy. Angle of the section that mounts to transom to the hinge is different. Some are a straight 3" all the way across between hinge and transom and others have some angle built into the transom side plate.

Comment

Also I understand why Tige doesn’t want to sell an aftermarket system for my boat. However I love my boat, and I don’t believe the hull has changed at all since 2013. So to add a surf system even at 5k it is still way cheaper that upgrading my boat for 40k. Yes it would be nice to have all the new options. Just cost at this point. The boat is just 5 years old. Adding a surf system will increase value and my ability to sell, so that I can upgrade to a new Tige with some more options in the future. This will give a more affordable boat to someone wanting to enter in the sport. Then they will be hooked and want to upgrade as well. Not everyone can just go into a dealership and buy a boat every 5 years. The dealerships don’t u understand this, their reality is that people do come in and buy new boats all the time.

Last edited by Pmol32; 02-20-2019, 06:59 PM.

Comment

They don't really have a "retail" system package to sell. Also, one does not exist for a 2013.
                Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I had taps 3 on my r20 and the wave was significantly better than without.

If I were to do it again I would go to GSA for the benefit of the automated controller.

Comment

Originally posted by Pmol32 View Post
                    So to add a surf system even at 5k it is still way cheaper that upgrading my boat for 40k.
                    Correct. If you are looking for something that is a complete out of the box kit then GSA is probably your best bet as others have mentioned. If you are a DIY guy it can be done a lot cheaper if you build your own plates and order actuators and controllers seperately. Wake garage has lots of posts to inspire you .

Comment

If a person got the dimensions of the latest tab on the r20 and had them fabricated. Then bought some actuators that would have close to the same amount of travel, with some manual switches. I would assume this would out preform the GSA system as it is designed by Tige. I might have to sign up on wake garage here yet and look at these inspirations. Thanks Are they similaire to wakemakers. Upgraded my ballast and added a transfer pump from them last year and they were great to deal with. Only problem for me is the American dollar right now compared to the Canadian dollar, this is why it might be worth my own diy.

Last edited by Pmol32; 02-21-2019, 03:01 AM.

Comment

Has anyone installed a GSA on a R20. I assume I would take off my vx plate. I have seen one where they mounted the actuateurs back to the swim platform. I want to have a plan I place here soon so it is done by May 21. Our season is short here.

Comment

The dollar is stupid right now. Don’t even get me started.

For the R20 I honestly don’t know what is the best option, I ran an aftermarket taps 3 system with Lenco actuators anc controllers that I bought as a package from a dealer. The wave was definitely impressive for a 20ft boat but you really had to weight it down. With that being said I have just ordered gsa tabs for my rzx3 but that’s a different Hull.
                          Here’s the r20 tabs I added.
                          1DDD127A-CA1A-472F-B605-C87388377383.jpg

Where are you in Canada? I know a couple of dealers were working on something but I bought out of the states as it was a couple years back.

Comment

I wonder if GSA tabs would be just too big for an R20? Don't they just sell one size of tabs?

Just go to Lenco's website to find all the actuator parts you need. I believe I have them listed in that thread I posted of my old build. If you want more automation, check out wake garage for a controler. I'd be happy to build you a set of tabs to any shape you wanted. I do quite a bit of CAD/CNC work.

Comment

Working...
                            X