Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2015 ASR Ballast for rear locker (RZX)

Hey Guys,

Hoping to find out what is the largest ballast bag I can fit in the rear locker in my ASR? I assume its the same size as a RZX??.
    I have used the search and haven't come up with anything.

Thanks in advance.
    Zane
    Last edited by ZaneK; 02-04-2019, 07:49 PM.

550 pnp are the typical choice for the rzx. Do you have it already plumbed?

Comment

It is not plumbed.
      I currently do not have the Surf XL option, just the factory 3000lbs of ballast.

Comment

If you purchase bags off the shelf, the 550's are the biggest, at least for the RZX. I drew up some custom bags I wanted to have custom made. They were L bags that came forward under the seats on both sides. Want to say they were 900-950 on each side, but you lose all side storage. If you are interested in something like that I can look up all the info I had on them.

I also have some smaller PNP bags listed in the classifieds on here. I believe they are 350 pounds each and I think I have them listed for $200.

Comment

I would like at least the factory 550's and to keep my storage under the side seats. Maybe factory ones are my best bet.

Unstuck, can you please send me some pictures of your bags
          Last edited by ZaneK; 02-05-2019, 01:27 AM.

Comment

If it were me I’d pull the bags and do lead bags they take up no room at all and are easily hidden
            surf till u die.

Comment

Zane, I just picked up a 15' ASR What weight have you played with? I'm assuming your adding weight to the rear for surfing? Curious if you have tried a 750 under the surf side bench. I read somewhere this was a good set up on the ASR or RZX. They like weight midship or forward.

Comment

I’m with 18, run the factory ballast and get lead... I’ll have 1300# this year.. you can put it anywhere, it doesn’t leak, moving it around gives you a little tri and shoulder pump for that suns out guns out look on the boat.. only downside is having to move it around for trailering, but it’s like a 4 minute deal at the start and end of the day. Totally worth it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Lead isn't always the answer. I run a little bit of it, 300-500 max. After that, if you had an emergency, your boat wouldn't be neutrally bouyant and would sink to the bottom. I don't know how much more foam newer boats have, but it used to be close to the dry weight of the boat.

I am hopefully getting a 2015 asr and I will be doing as big of a ballast system in it I can stuff, then see how she can surf.
                  Build thread: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14787-Duffy-s-2005-24v-wakesurfing-mod-thread&highlight=duffys+24v

Comment

Originally posted by Zackdogg View Post
                    I’m with 18, run the factory ballast and get lead... I’ll have 1300# this year.. you can put it anywhere, it doesn’t leak, moving it around gives you a little tri and shoulder pump for that suns out guns out look on the boat.. only downside is having to move it around for trailering, but it’s like a 4 minute deal at the start and end of the day. Totally worth it!!!

For those who run with lead, do you remove any, some or all lead for trailering. There has to be a max load the trailer frame/axial can carry safely?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have 1,000 pounds of lead, and purchasing 400 more. If it's just to the launch ramp (3 miles) and back, I leave it in the boat. Any further, and I place it in the bed of the truck over the axle.

Comment

Shep72, I dont have the Surf XL. I only have the factory 3000lbs ballast. which I was able to get an "okay" surf to entertain the kids with just listing the boat. I was thinking of adding the rear locker ballast and then using another 500-1000lbs of lead in the midship to the bow.

Comment

Originally posted by Bamer View Post
                          For those who run with lead, do you remove any, some or all lead for trailering. There has to be a max load the trailer frame/axial can carry safely?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          That’s a whole different can of worms.. I had nothing but tire problems with the 18’s on my boatmate, so I’ve since switched my trailer to 16” wheels and E rated tires.. with a triple axle trailer, I wouldn’t worry about the extra weight, and with my new wheel and tire setup, I’m not worried about them... only thing I do is move the lead around until it’s evenly spaced over the axles, whether that’s lay it all midship, or leave even-ish weight front and back, and the throw the rest in the center.. I’m far happier trailering a little tongue heavy, so as long as the weight is kinda spread even and I have some tongue weight, I’m good.

Occasionally, depending how my truck is loaded, and where I’m going, I might yank half the lead from my boat and huck it into my truck... it’s one of those things you play with, see what works for your setup, and kinda go that route.. a lot depends on your truck and trailer setup.

Comment

Originally posted by duffymahoney View Post
                            Lead isn't always the answer. I run a little bit of it, 300-500 max. After that, if you had an emergency, your boat wouldn't be neutrally bouyant and would sink to the bottom. I don't know how much more foam newer boats have, but it used to be close to the dry weight of the boat.

I am hopefully getting a 2015 asr and I will be doing as big of a ballast system in it I can stuff, then see how she can surf.
                            If my boat can’t handle more than 500# in lead, without sinking, the lake can have it. Lead is a lot more versatile, as far as I’m concerned, especially considering all my bags have been changed twice this year, because they love leaking so much.. if I ever get into a situation where I need to lose weight, I can throw it overboard a hell of a lot faster than my ballast pumps can dump ballast...

And I can always throw the women and children overboard to dump weight, as well.. some of my fat friends would be a little more of a challenge!!

Comment

Ps, I have a hell of a time getting my boat to plane without the addition of lead as far up the bow as I can.. that will depend on the weight you’re trying to move, altitude, and motor and prop setup, but it’s just another reason to run lead on these..

Comment

Working...
                              X