24V - New Owner - Looking for Surf Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey everyone, I’ve been reading through a lot of existing threads on the 24V, and I haven’t really found the answers to my questions, so I’m hoping to find some 24V owners with some insight. I got a great deal on a ’05 24V last July so we sold the Pontoon and spent the rest of our summer surfing! The boat puts out a pretty decent surf wave with my current setup, but it’s very manual and not great when I have a small crew.

Current setup came with the boat:
    2X 750 LB Fat Sacs for the back
    Bow sac – I’m guessing 450 LB but I think I’m only getting it half-full due to space limitation
    Mission Delta – I purchased on the advice of a buddy with an older Malibu Wakesetter

If I fill all the sacs it’s hard to get the Delta in the right spot, as below the lip is a little lower than it should be, and above the lip is out of the water a bit and creates a lot of spray and doesn’t appear to function properly.

I’m looking to upgrade my wake enhancement in the off-season and I’m not exactly sure what I should do. I’m planning on taking it to the Tigé Dealer to have the Taps looked at, as it started to not work towards the end of the summer. I was going to ask for a quote from them on having the surf tabs (Go Surf Assist or something similar) installed. Any suggestions on what I should do for ballast? If I plumb in the ballast, is 750 lbs per side in the back good? Can I get more weight in the bow using Steel Ball ballast bags at 50 lbs a piece? I read something about 60% / 40% split, does that mean I’m weighting the back too much?

A couple of notes, I’m not particularly handy, so I’m not planning on installing anything myself, and I don’t want any of the ballast exposed when I’m loaded up, so I’m only looking for storage compartment solutions. I’m also not afraid to spend a couple bucks, if it improves my wave and makes setting up easier (modifying is cheaper than buying new), any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone has a suggestion for installers in Oregon for this stuff, that would also be considered. I’m headed to the Portland Boat Show next weekend, hoping to get some advice there too.

Depending on the bow sac, the bow cavity can hold about 600#. Thats about all thats needed for that boat for surfing.

For a transom mounted surf setup like GSA, Your current set up is about 1/2 you need for a good wave and about 1/4 for a great wave. For a side mounted surf apparatus, I think you are about 400# light in each locker.

Plumbing it in with all concealed sacs is doable for sure.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Can I fit 1500 lbs per side in the real lockers? What sacs do you recommend?

Comment

Yes, customs.
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Custom for the bow too? You make them? Should I PM you?

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Comment

Standard sac for the bow, as the cavity dictates the amount it can hold. Not cost effective.

Yes, I have custom sacs for this boat. PM me for more info.

Comment

Im also hoping 18cRacing will chime in. I'm interested in his aftermarket TAPS plate, but his PM is full.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Comment

I just sent him a message.

Comment

As far as ballast goes mike is your one stop shop he will get that boat dialed to the max. As far as fine tuning the wake and making it clean , long and smoother I offer custom taps plates and it replaces the factory center plate on your boat pm me and I can run you through the details
                  surf till u die.

Comment

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...ght=duffys+24v

Here is what I did, I would go custom if I was you. The lockers on the 24v are huge and beg for ballast.
                    Build thread: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14787-Duffy-s-2005-24v-wakesurfing-mod-thread&highlight=duffys+24v

Comment

Originally posted by duffymahoney View Post
                      http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...ght=duffys+24v

Here is what I did, I would go custom if I was you. The lockers on the 24v are huge and beg for ballast.
                      Hey Duffy, I have a couple questions about your bow weight... why are you running 2 bags up there? Is that because you are or were listing? It looks like you were moving to a suction gate, does that mean a single bow bag would be a better option if you had to do it again now? Also, can you remove the floors in the bow section to create more room? Or are you just working with the factory space up there? Finally, how's the suc-gate research going? Have you tried the Delta? Or are you using a permanently mounted or mounted before you launch suction gate on the transom? Is there a retail version of that out there somewhere? Thanks for showing me that thread, very interesting, and you have a great looking surf wake. I was especially impressed with the length on some of the last pictures on the thread. I feel like I'm getting good height, my issue is length and getting it to clean up with few people in the boat.

Comment

Those are very old pictures. My wave is better now, I still have yet to surf a boat with a better wave. I think the new centurion could give it a run for it's money. I run surf side rear full 1800#, then offside 50% or more full. The bow full, 200# of lead in the bow as well. Then a suck gate. I prefer the kind that have the gate part on the very back. In my testing they seem to work slightly better (nauticurl and mission delta). I like how easy to install a suck gate is. The tige doesn't have a ton of room back there for an installed setup. Maybe someday, but installing the gate takes 20 seconds.

Nothing more you can do for bow weight. I thought there was a void in the bow, but I gave up on that idea. A few bags of lead and it's perfect. I always fill both bow bags. They are 450# but honestly if they hold 200# each I would be surprised.

Lenght comes from taps, speed and bow weight. I normally run taps around 2.5-4 and speed is 12.5-12.7.
                        Attached Files
                        Build thread: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14787-Duffy-s-2005-24v-wakesurfing-mod-thread&highlight=duffys+24v

Comment

Wow. Duffy that wave is dam impressive, never mind on a 15 year old hull. Ive been on most of the newer surf boats and that wave right there truly something. So much length on a clean face. Only thing the new surf boats might have is a little more overall size just because of more displacement.

if I'm ever in Idaho again I know who I'm surfing with

Comment

Pictures can be very deceiving, so never trust anyone, including myself My wave is bigger in height then any I have surfed unless they are surfing super slow. I would say newer boats tend to have a slightly longer wave then mine. I only need 1-2 pumps for most tricks. So I don't worry about it too much. Most peoples boats I go on surf very slow, like 10-11 mph.

That being said, new boats are awesome. I have surfed competition loaded boats from Nautique, custom ballast Malibu MXZ. Huge ballast MB, new tiges, new mastercrafts, A24 with custom ballast,supremes, sangers etc... (Sadly no brand new centurions, the new FI/ RI hulls look great) The playing field is much more level then it used to be. That being said the old 24v hull is best made, especially for the money. It's a super heavy boat. Then add 3500-4k in ballast and then another 1k in people, full gas tank and a suck gate and it will rip. The wave is always a little finicky. I always have to adjust people or dump a little ballast, fiddle with taps etc... I surf a 24ve a lot, it's similar but not as good. I think my surf flap 3.0 is my favorite addition after the FAE. Happy surfing!

Comment

Your list is missing the premier offerings from Skiers Choice [emoji6].

Definitely will not compete with a 24V for bang for the buck, though. [emoji1360][emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like bananas!

Comment

Working...
                              X