Adding ballast system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding ballast system

Adding a ballast system to my boat. Will be a diy project. I have a 2007 24ve with no factory tanks. Motor is a PCM zr409. Will primarily be surfing but also wakeboarding. I currently use a homemade suckgate. I don't really think I will need to list the boat with the suckgate. I now get a decent wave with suckgate and no ballasts. There just isn't any push with the wave. I'm trying to decide between the 719 or 712 bags. I just really hate to eat up alot of my storage since my kids tube as well. Really looking for input on pump setup, where to buy parts etc. but any input is much appreciated. Will probably also be building a pair of the Malibu style surfgates but that's another thread for another day. Thanks in advance. Also, I have the e series tower(I think). It has the bungee style straps with the molded t handles. Of course, one broke. I'm not having much luck on finding replacements. Admittedly I haven't invested a ton of search time on this though.

Well I’m sure chpthil will chime in but I would get all your ballast bags and fittings ect from Mike he’s the man when it comes to diy ballast setups. Also I build a custom taps plate that is a great addition for what you are doing and it’s a noticeable change from factory wake.
    surf till u die.

Comment

18c is right with chpthrl. he was my 1 stop shop for the upgrades to my ballast setup on my old 22ve. same basic boat. I would think you would want enzo sacks on each side for surfing as my 22ve really woke up when I added chp's version of them knowing the 24 hull is longer and will require more weight to sink it. surfed thegerman's boat once and not sure what he was running but the wave on that boat was very good. believe it was an '06.

if it was me designing from scratch, make sure and use the largest fill/drain diameter you can and I would strongly recommend dual drain/fill. requires 2 thru hulls for the rears but worth the time to fill/drain.
      2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
      2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

We can most definitely help you with the ballast project.

If you feel the wave is good with no ballast then adding a pair of W719 in the rear lockers is going to be a HUGE improvement. Thats about 1800# in the rear. No loss of under-seat storage. W711 for the bow.
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I've got the same boat and Mike hooked me up a couple years ago. We love it!

I followed Jetdriver's build, except I only have one bilge thru-hull.

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...-Ballast-build

Comment

You definitely don’t need to lose under seat storage to have a great wave. Especially with the lead wake ballast bags that are available these days. You can put lots of weight in a smaller footprint. I’m running close to a 1000 lb in each rear locker (all bag weight) and a 750 lb U shaped bag in the front that probably only fills to 6-650 lbs. I run my boat with surf side full, offside about 75-80%, bow full and a wakeshaper of my design. Typically around 11.6-12.2 speed and TAPS between 4-6 depending on side I’m surfing and how many people are in the boat and where they’re sitting. I get lots of compliments on the quality of the wave and for the couple grand I invested feel it was a fantastic upgrade and well worth the time and $.
            I used reversible pumps in my system but aerators work well too. There are advantages and disadvantages to both types of pumps and setting them up correctly requires different considerations in your planning.
            Last edited by Jetdriver; 12-31-2018, 09:16 PM.

Comment

The 409 or zr6 in a 24ve is basically my dream boat. One more vote for Mike(chpthril). Main thing is deciding aerators or reversibles like Jetdriver said.
              Down side for reversibles are they cost more up front, have a higher amp draw, and eventually they will need impellers replaced. Plus sides are in the long run if mounted correctly they will last a long time and to me make for a cleaner install with less hose runs and will never have any priming issues. Reversibles can also be mounted further from your new thru hulls/ball valves and make for less stuff in the bilge around your trans and v drive if you have shaft/coupler service needed down the road. Also if you are doing a DIY the Jabsocs come with a polarity reversing switch thats almost idiot proof and is less wiring.
              Plus sides for aerators is less cost up front and less current draw. Otherwise it just means more hose, more holes in the boat, and more check valves(not always but usually), and 4 circuits to run 2 bags.

Those are just my opinions, and Im sure Mike can set you up on either. Regardless, any money you spend that makes putting weight in the boat simple and improves your wave is money well spent. Havent met abyone yet that wants ballast removed from their boat.

Look on Graingers website for molded handles and Im sure you will find what you want. I dont remember for sure but I think they are a 5/16. 3/8 seems too big and 1/4 too small, but thats me armchair calling it with no boat to look at.
              Last edited by freeheel4life; 12-30-2018, 05:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                We can most definitely help you with the ballast project.

If you feel the wave is good with no ballast then adding a pair of W719 in the rear lockers is going to be a HUGE improvement. Thats about 1800# in the rear. No loss of under-seat storage. W711 for the bow.
                I searched for the w719 on wakemakers. They showed dimensions to 50"x24"x24" with capacity at 1100 lbs. Am I looking at the right bag? Also, for the bags you recommend with complete system, what kind of money am I looking at here, ballpark of course. I need to see how many purses I'll have to buy my wife before I start buying this kit.
                Last edited by crabo227; 12-31-2018, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 18c racing View Post
                  Well I’m sure chpthil will chime in but I would get all your ballast bags and fittings ect from Mike he’s the man when it comes to diy ballast setups. Also I build a custom taps plate that is a great addition for what you are doing and it’s a noticeable change from factory wake.
                  Does that replace the current taps plate?

Comment

Originally posted by crabo227 View Post
                    I searched for the w719 on wakemakers. They showed dimensions to 50"x24"x24" with capacity at 1100 lbs. Am I looking at the right bag? Also, for the bags you recommend with complete system, what kind of money am I looking at here, ballpark of course. I need to see how many purses I'll have to buy my wife before I start buying this kit.
                    Although FLY HIGH does spec their W719 Jumbo Surf at 50"L x 24"W x 24"H and 1100#, the capacity of the rear locker holds it to about 900#. So thats were the 1800* comes from. More weight is going to require a custom "L" shape sac, taking up some under seat storage when filled.

Ill PM you an estimate.
                    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I used 45” x 25” x 20” bags in my build, think they’re just over 900 lbs if i remember correctly. I have a 22VE, I’m not sure if the locker is bigger in the 24VE. For my application the 50” bag woulda been pushing on the back of the rear in boat speakers and several bolt ends I didn’t want poking holes into the bag. The 45” bags avoided this. Get the biggest bag that’ll fit your space. Remember you can always supplement with a couple hundred pounds of lead weight under the bags.

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                        Although FLY HIGH does spec their W719 Jumbo Surf at 50"L x 24"W x 24"H and 1100#, the capacity of the rear locker holds it to about 900#. So thats were the 1800* comes from. More weight is going to require a custom "L" shape sac, taking up some under seat storage when filled.

Ill PM you an estimate.
                        An estimate with the L shaped bags as well would be much appreciated. If not too much trouble. That way I can weigh all my options.

Comment

Originally posted by Jetdriver View Post
                          I used 45” x 25” x 20” bags in my build, think they’re just over 900 lbs if i remember correctly. I have a 22VE, I’m not sure if the locker is bigger in the 24VE. For my application the 50” bag woulda been pushing on the back of the rear in boat speakers and several bolt ends I didn’t want poking holes into the bag. The 45” bags avoided this. Get the biggest bag that’ll fit your space. Remember you can always supplement with a couple hundred pounds of lead weight under the bags.
                          I used the w719 1100# bags in my 22v per Mike’s recommendation. They are a tad long for the space but they get pretty darn full (I figure they’re at least 950 lbs)and the rear seat back seems to keep the bottom of the sack from reaching the exposed connections on the rear cockpit speakers mounted in the corners near the floor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                          X