Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help! '15 ASR Surf setup...

First, thanks for reading.
    I have a '14 ASR Apex edition, avx plate removed and surf gates installed...
    Yes, I understand its a great wakeboarding boost and ok surf boat. But I love this boat and want to surf more now than ride.
    I can get an amazing wave surfing left side but the right is just bad. Washes out and just not great.

Left settings:
    Port aft: 100%
    Port forward: 100%
    Star aft: 40%
    Star forward: 0%
    Trim tab = 4
    Speed 11.1-11.5 depending on how high/long I want the wave.
    Lake elevation: 5000 ft.
    Yes I have elevation adjusted prop.
    I've tried flipping the settings and have spent hours trying to dial it in without success.

Please help,

Jason

Can I ask why you removed the AVX? I’m picking up a 15 ASR next weekend and I hear half the crowd bashing the Surf wake and the other half praising it. It’s very hard to find good info as it was only made two years. I’m really looking forward to playing with it and it does have AVX

Comment

The ASR evolved into the RZX, then the RZX3, so not actually dumped, just improved and a new name. The poor surf wave would be from the original hull design, un-modified, typically under weighted. The good waves are those with the hull mods, extra ballast and TAPS-3.
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Generally with the vx extensions to reach their potential one most really slam the boat down to get decent results. That’s why lots of people remove them as it essentially creates a shorter running surface, therefore easier to sink down.

If I were to by an ASR’s I would go spend some money and have the Hull modded to be like the rzx.

Comment

I can only echo what others have said and hopefully add to add to it. The ASR paved the way for the RZX but if you compare the rear corners at the transom between the two you will see the difference. RZX corners are a lot more square compared to the ASR. I think thats the main difference in why they surf different but are similar in relation to size, shape, deadrise, and convex hull. Just transom and chine changes at the corners.

That being said, the AVX attachment was a lot more angular at its trailing edge in the water. So if its left on it it should act a bit more like a bigger RZX(almost closer to a ZX5 but without any plates as a running surface) with the AVX still on. It will just need a lot more weight to prove it, so may need to reprop and talk about bags and or lead to get there.

These are all just late night ramblings and theorys. That diclaimer aside, I think that when the ASR came out so much emphasis was on rear biased ballast for surfing. As time has gone on people seem to be finding that the RZX and ZX lines like to add more weight miship and even in the nose to get ALL that hull in the water to maximize displacement. Hopefully elevatedconcepts chimes im as I am sure he has much more anecdotal evidence than my theory. Worth remebering as well that this setup was ORIGINALLY designed to be listed...

Regardless I think you could play around a lot and see if you can dial it in before doing things like hull mods or even retrofitting other surf systems like TAPS3, or GSA. Many different suction type devices as well to play with that are cheaper and less involved.

Btw, OP most likely removed his AVX because of "surf gates installed" not sure what was done as this thread died pretty quickly, but whatever was added wouldnt have worked with the AVX in the way.
          Last edited by freeheel4life; 01-10-2019, 04:47 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response. I am not a pro. I’m a dad now who still enjoys wake boarding. Our surf sessions usually start once the waters get rough. I personally think the ASR is a very good looking boat and I just got Finished climbing all over the 19’s at the Austin Show. From the waterline up not much changed with the RZX3. It blows my mind how much negative Talk as well as how little information is out there regarding the ASR. I even had one of the Tige factory reps tell me the AVX surfs better than the Taps 3. You just couldn’t do transfers with it. I’m going to keep y’all posted on what I find out this summer. I know there are happy owners of the ASR out there but they are tight lipped apparently.

Comment

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...light=ASR+surf

^^this was a good thread on how to set up the RZX. I think if you just ran a suction device like the Delta, Nauticurl, etc you should be able to put out a surfable wave. Good luck and hope you enjoy the boat.

Comment

I want to pick up a ASR on the cheap and build a surf machine out of it
                Build thread: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14787-Duffy-s-2005-24v-wakesurfing-mod-thread&highlight=duffys+24v

Comment

This^^^^

You can pick up a 15 asr for super cheap and you can basically make an rzx for cheap.

Comment

Saw a few gathering dust in the TX sun when we were at the factory for service training back in December. I wonder if Tige is looking to get rid of any of them?

Comment

They are 55-65k used right now, I need to wait a few more years till they are 40k. Then pounce.
                      Build thread: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14787-Duffy-s-2005-24v-wakesurfing-mod-thread&highlight=duffys+24v

Comment

Well when you do be sure to give us a stab at your dialed 24v here in the Classifieds

Comment

Originally posted by duffymahoney View Post
                          They are 55-65k used right now, I need to wait a few more years till they are 40k. Then pounce.
                          I think that's the price for the ones that were pulled from the bottom of the lake, put there by disgruntled surfers. Ones that still float are 10-20k higher.

Comment

put there by disgruntled surfers
                            Dumbass owners is more like it
                            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by duffymahoney View Post
                              Hey Duffy, check your inbox!

Comment

Working...
                              X