Leaky Connections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leaky Connections

I’m sure this is a simple answer. But I can’t seem to find info on it anywhere. Are you guys using any kind of sealant on your ballast bag connections? PVC or silicone? I have some quick connects that I can’t seem to get to stop leaking. Stainless steel clamps are as tight as they’ll go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BABz - babzusa.com
    Austin, TX

Are you talking about the hose to fitting section or the threaded fitting into bag section
    Germaine Marine
    "A proud dealer of Tige, Supra, Moomba and ATX performance boats"

Comment

Quick Disconnects- sorry just reread that. I would check those O-Rings. They should not leak.
      Germaine Marine

Comment

I’m talking about hose to connections. The quick connects themselves are not leaking.

BABz - babzusa.com
        Austin, TX

Comment

I’d look to see if the hose is cracked under the hose clamp.

Comment

They don’t appear to be. Is it standard practice to not use anything on hose connections besides the band clamp?

BABz - babzusa.com
            Austin, TX

Comment

I don't use anything on the smooth connections. I use a heat gun and warm up the hose until it starts getting soft. Then slide it on the fitting and get it clamped before it hardens. Haven't had the smooth quick connects leak.
              I have had a couple barbed fittings leak a bit though. I use Harvey's Formula 55 on the barbed fitting now. Then heat up hose and repeat above steps.

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
                I don't use anything on the smooth connections. I use a heat gun and warm up the hose until it starts getting soft. Then slide it on the fitting and get it clamped before it hardens. Haven't had the smooth quick connects leak.
                I have had a couple barbed fittings leak a bit though. I use Harvey's Formula 55 on the barbed fitting now. Then heat up hose and repeat above steps.
                Thanks for the info. These are all barbed fittings. I will take a look at the Formula 55.
                BABz - babzusa.com
                Austin, TX

Comment

Originally posted by BlackoutATX View Post
                  Thanks for the info. These are all barbed fittings. I will take a look at the Formula 55.
                  I've noticed the factory has started using some kind of sealant on barbed fittings as compared to years past. It's kind of brownish. Maybe PM Koolaid and see if he knows what it is.

Comment

3M 847 Rubber and gasket adhesive. Really good stuff.
                    Oh Yeah!

Comment

Thanks for the heads up. Going to order some in and try it out.

Comment

I use permatex aviation #3. Not hardening and it is damn good.
                        Germaine Marine

Comment

I went with the aviation #3 as it was available locally. Man this stuff is messy! Any tips on how to keep this stuff from getting everywhere? Are y’all using a heat shrink or anything to cover the quick connections?

BABz - babzusa.com
                          Austin, TX

Comment

Are y’all using a heat shrink or anything to cover the quick connections?
                            No, never, as it serves no purpose. Tige uses some to cover the stainless worm gear clamps, but I dont use that style of clamp, so again, no need for heat shrink.
                            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                              No, never, as it serves no purpose. Tige uses some to cover the stainless worm gear clamps, but I dont use that style of clamp, so again, no need for heat shrink.
                              I'm curious now. Do you use the plastic clamps with serrated teeth or are you using Oetiker clamps??

Comment

Working...
                              X