2003 Tige 22V Ballast Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2003 Tige 22V Ballast Question

Hi Tige owners, new to the forums....Have a 2003 Tige 22V that I just purchased. Previous owner removed the hard ballast tanks and plumbing. There are 4 pumps, connected to a PVC manifold, in the bottom under the V-drive, I assume for filling. There are wires hanging down in the rear lockers, under the dash and under the glove box, I assume fro draining. Would any one of you be able to confirm this? I plan on removing the old pumps in the bottom, under the V-drive and replacing with Shurflo Piranha 800. I may need 4 more for the drains based what information I get back. Also, when plumbing the the ballast sacks, should I incorporate a check valve for each fill / drain connection? Appreciate the feedback

I did a full ballast install on my 24V boat last year with a lot of help from Mike and others. The layout will be very similar as your boat. The pumps and manifold uder the v drive are no doubt for filling and I assume you have at least one thru-hull somewhere to suck up the water. If you use aerator pumps like I did you will need two pumps per bag. I used check valves on each fill and vent line but did not use check valves on the drain lines. The thought was the impellers in the drain pumps act somewhat like a natural check valve. You should also PM Mike (Chpthrill). He has supplied all of the parts for many owners ballast set ups and is a great resource.

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...Ballast-Thread

Hope this helps,
    Kyle

Comment

Aerator pumps in the bilge will be for filling only. You will need a pump for sec for draining, if you stick with aerators. Depending on the design, there are placed check valves are needed and/or beneficial.

I thing Tige was filling through the transom back then, so if its whats left of an OEM system filling through the transom. Move away from it. Prone to air lock and cant fill above idle speed.
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Thanks for the reply guys. Yes, there is an 1-1/2'' hole, or so, in the back of the transom where the manifold hooks up to with the 4 pumps. Is this not a good entry point for bringing in water to the pumps? How could I prevent air locking?

Comment

No good way to prevent air lock, but rather goose the boat in reverse to push water in and air out to get things primed.
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Wow, seems kinda troublesome. So, judging by this information, when air locking happens, the pumps loose prime or stop working? Will they burn up?

If I'm stopped, I assume this won't be an issue?

Comment

Wont burn up, just can fill until you purge the air out. Usually only happens after you launch then try to fill. One or more pumps can trap air. This is a concern anyway with aerator pumps, but worse with the transom mounted thru-hull.

Comment

Ok, thanks. I shall ponder this a bit...I'm not to keen on drilling new holes. If it's not too troublesome and I am educated on what to do in the event this should happen, I'm sure I can live with it.

Comment

Working...
                X