1996 22v Ballast/Bag Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1996 22v Ballast/Bag Setup

Hi all. New to the site. Hopefully posting in the right place...
    Wanted to know if anybody has set up a 1996 22v for wake surfing and would be willing to provide some info.
    I have had many boats (duck, fishing, flaty v drives) but this is the first family wake and hopefully surf boat.
    It has a 454 BBC and 4 blade.
    I got two of the kidos up by second try but just never quite had enough let go of the rope.
    I was thinking starting with ballast bags in rear locker and then moving on to maybe some kind of surfgate or??

Thanks for any input or help.

JC

That sounds about right. You'll also need a bow sack - there's a 600lb sack most folks fit under the front seat. Don't skimp on the rear sacks! Measure the compartment and get the biggest you can find. Mike @ Mike's Liquid Audio (Chpthrl) can get you set up in short order. You'll need the surf gate. Lots of options there or DIY. Don't be surprised if you get tired of filling the bags manually... I almost guarantee an automated system will be in your future.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Manually filling bags is almost enough to drive one out of the sport. It really does make a huge difference having them plumbed in.

If it were me, I'd get ahold of chpthril here by contacting him by phone at Mike's Liquid Audio. For the whole enchilada expect to drop at least ~$1000- $1500. It WILL be worth it. You could run a simple two bag set up (rears only) and do some surfing but eventually you'll want everything. Everybody does.

Yes to a sucgate. Diy or prefab, they all do the same thing. One way or another you'll end up with one. Mine is a diy.
      You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Thanks I appreciate the feed back.
        I wanted to make sure the 96 was worth throwing the money at.
        I got the boat before I really knew what I was after, the BBC is what really sold me ; )
        It's a really clean boat and I dig the lines.
        Is your 00 22i the same hull?
        I will plumb everything in,
        Who makes the most durable/best ballast sacs?
        Thanks again.

Comment

No, the hull is much different. It's a flatty! Your boat is very unique in the old Tige line-up. It's the only one without spray pockets. I've seen them be very good surf boats. The BBC adds roughly 300lbs over any SBC so you're ahead of the game there.

Comment

Ok Thanks again.
            Time to start throwing some cash at her.
            I post so pics and comments once I get it set up for any other old school Tige folks.

Comment

As for sacs, just about everyone uses the flyhigh sacs. Get with Mike. Seriously. Don't even bother shopping around. We, as a forum, have already done that. Mike has been our go to guy for...well, forever. When he sends you a kit, it's complete. It really takes so much off your plate. All you have to do is install it.

Comment

I will call Mike on Monday and get the order started. I need to ask him if I need to reinforce the locker walls on the V drive model.
                I was thinking about welding up some 1' sq tube frames to hold everything together back there for the locker walls.

Comment

Ya, you will need to beef them up.

Comment

Originally posted by jcr1st View Post
                    I will call Mike on Monday and get the order started. I need to ask him if I need to reinforce the locker walls on the V drive model.
                    I was thinking about welding up some 1' sq tube frames to hold everything together back there for the locker walls.
                    On Mike's advice I bought some 1" angle iron (aluminum) from Home Depot and mounted them at the bottom of the divider panels. They work fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                    X