Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

08 RZ2 or new owners weighting the boat

Hello everyone,
    I'm coming from an 01 21V. I thought weighting it was pretty easy.
    Now this RZ2 is way different, I have the stock ballast 2 hard tanks and a V bag up front. Which I think totals 900#. Most of that in the bow.
    With the hard tanks the rear lockers are not big at all so my large Flying high, around 800# won't fit. I could put that next to a seat. I do have a couple smaller one's, 1-250# I think the other around 400#.
    Do they make a large bag that will fit in the locker and just extends most of the way forward?
    How does every one else weight? I think this thing can throw a nice wave, I'm just not there.

Thanks

Sam
    15 Escalade ESV-Black
    08 RZ2-Blue

Get ahold of chpthril, he helped me get bags for my 08 RZ4. I am sure you can get 750# or more in each locker with the right bags. I plumbed mine in to the factory fill pumps with "Y" fittings and some butterfly valves to control flow so that my bags fill in the same time as the hard tanks (divert most of the water to the bags) then I added a larger drain pump for each bag and wired them into the same circuit as the rear drain pumps. This allows me to fill and drain the bags using the stock switches. I added some check valves to prevent passive draining, put another "Y" fitting into the existing vent lines from the hard ranks and had to cut a hole on each side for the new drain line from each bag.
    All in it took me a day to get it all done (take a hair dryer into the boat with you to help get the fittings on the hoses). I am very happy with the results. The weight was good when I was listing the boat for a surf wave and now I fill up both sides 2000# total and just move my wake shaper back and forth.

Comment

I still can't seem to get the Wake dialed in, it appears to me that the RZ2 want a lot of weight up front? Would other owners agree?
      I went out Wed the wake wasn't bad, just not very long, stock ballast and I added another 600# on the Port side under the seats. I'm thinking putting my last bag in the walk way.

Thoughts?
      15 Escalade ESV-Black
      08 RZ2-Blue

Comment

Speed and TAPS will also play a role in lengthening the pocket, along with bow weight. You are going to need as much weight as possible in the rear surf side, before adding too much bow weight though.

Yes, there is a custom sac that will fit that boat.
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

So you did not mention whether you are weighting for surf or wakeboarding. You weight totally different for each discipline. Properly weighted that boat can make a fantastic wave. Not so much with the stock ballast but with added. Get ahold of chpthril and he can get you lined out with bags that will fit your boat. Just a quick search will show how others weight that boat. General rule for surfing is weight as much as possible in the back surf side then add weight up front till the wave is to your liking. Speed is around 10.8 to 11.4 with taps in the range of 3.5 to 6.5. For wakeboarding sack it both front and back and go from there.
          Wake Up or Stay On Shore!

Comment

Here's my old 2014 rz2 wave if this is what your aiming for pm me IMG_4388.jpg
            surf till u die.

Comment

18C you private messages are full
              15 Escalade ESV-Black
              08 RZ2-Blue

Comment

I will say I don't have a bag directly in the rear locker. That locker is small, I only have bags along the port side under the seat.
                I can try and move them farther back. I also have a large 700# bag but I don't think it will fit. It may help just filling as much as I can.
                This is for a surf set up.

Thanks again.

Sam
                15 Escalade ESV-Black
                08 RZ2-Blue

Comment

has to be in the lockers or forget about it, these boats like weight, if you are surfing.

Comment

You really need to pull out the factory hard tanks and move the batteries to somewhere else to open up space in the lockers. Then you'll have plenty of room for bags in there. I'd recommend getting custom sacs or if your cheap like me a 1100lb sac will fit. It won't fill all the way but I'd bet mine fill to 85% or more.

I'm probably in the minority here but I fill my front sac as full as it will go. I stop filling when my front cup holders pop out. Then as much weight as I can on the side I'm surfing. Sometimes I add a little off side weight to get things how I want it. With my setup (1100s in the back and some tractor weights) I get a pretty respectable wave. Not as big as some of the guys with custom sacs but it works fine for us.

Comment

Does anyone have a diagram and parts required to plump ballast sacks into factory tanks?

Comment

I found for my RZ2 that slowing down to 10.4 helped SIGNIFICANTLY! I couldn't believe the difference slowing down made. I had TAPS3 at 7 or 8 and TAPS 3 wit ballast 100% full in all four bags (2015 RZ2, not sure if it has the Surf XL yet or not - I just got it less than a week ago). What also helped was having me or a buddy instructing from the back most corner possible.

Makes me think 200lbs of lead in each rear locker put as far back as possible will help make it that much easier to dial in!

Comment

I also have an 08 RZ2. Still playing around with settings but I have a very good push and medium length and height wave with the following
                          1. Both rear tanks full
                          2. Port side 400lbs in rear locker and 400lbs bag in passenger locker, although not completely full, so say 300lbs
                          3. Starboard side 800lb bag but only half full so approx 400lbs
                          4. Mission delta
                          Taps at 2-3
                          Speedset at 11.6-11.8
                          I weigh 205lbs and 6’1”
                          Last edited by JWehrheim; 09-12-2019, 12:50 AM.

Comment

Id have to agree with Retox1. We weigh my buddies 08’ down front and rear, 20% or so less on the offside, seat people favoring surfside, and use a good shaper you’re in business.
                            If you look around here at ballast threads of people that had the factory tanks you’ll see a common theme.
                            Most just remove the rear hard tanks, remove the battery box, relocate the batteries to the port side rear corner and build a simple wall to separate the compartments. You can fit 3 there but it’s tight. I put 2 on port and 1 on starboard side. I had to move the TAPs pump over but that was easy, R&R just a couple screws. You’ll then have room for you biggest bags you can get. Some just fill the box while others get bags that extend into the front storage compartments. You lose space for weight going that route. I decided to keep my storage and run a couple hundred pounds of lead under each rear bag.
                            You’ll also want to replace the pumps and the hose for best results, the factory ones aren’t up to the task.
                            The boat was designed with wake boarding in mind and the factory ballast option reflects that. You want bow weight when wakeboarding behind this boat.
                            Last edited by Jetdriver; 09-12-2019, 04:32 AM.

Comment

I have a 13 RZ2 only primarily surf now. The boat can put out a monster wave with 2 custom 1100lbs sacs in the rear lockers plus a surfgate. 100% front 100% surf side 90% nonsurf side. No need to move batteries or hard tanks. Taps 4 speed 10.8 all depending on water conditions. Also a 13.25 prop. I maybe bias but I have mine dialed in better than boats I ride in comps.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X