Aftermarket taps 3 help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aftermarket taps 3 help

So as some of you might already know, I purchased a kit very similar to the factories surf system but from Germaine Marine. After installing I have only been out a few times this past weekend and the results really weren't that promising, quite disappointing actually. But I haven't given up, I believe there are still many things left I can try.

First, we tried a basic setup, full rears (w004 on goofy) and full fronts, ranging from 10.5-11.5. The wave was very very long but lacked quite a bit of push along with all of its height. adjusting the tab up and down, even with the smallest amounts made a big difference. too high there wasn't a wave and the tab too low it just washed right out.

The next day we go out and I completely load down the rear of the boat, full rears as before but another 8-900 spread evenly to compensate for the smaller port ballast, with another 600 in people. With this setup we had many different results, the wave was just a complete wash of white with very little shape. Also, the boat did not want to get up on speed or hold any sort of speed, along with starting to cavitate and getting stuck at 9mph. Are other people having this problem, Am I in need of a new prop? on top of the speed issues, we weren't sure if the tabs were actually engaging properly into the water, the wave wasn't even there. Soon after blowing a fuse.

So basically what I'm looking for is some help on just how to set things up. I have a basic understanding of what the taps 3 guys are running for ballast, it seems like full rears and stock fronts. What I am mainly wanting to know is, how do you guys have your taps 3 set at, what I've found on other threads is all the way down or between 1-3. The only problem is, I don't have TT so the numbers really don't mean much to me, how much deployment really is that? Do little adjustments make big changes?

A friend of mine on my lake just bought a 2012 Z3 and man can that thing surf. Might have got me a little disappointed about mine.

IMG_3328.jpgIMG_3329.jpg
    This was the only wave that looked slightly decent, still not what I'm looking for and it's on the wrong side. IMG_3330.jpg

If you guys could give me any advice you've got, that would be great.

total stretch here, but the correct plate is deploying, right? W004 on STBD side, what about port side? Have you moved the actuators to the other holes for extra reach?
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

the w004 is on the STBD side and I had a portable bag on the port to even out. And the port plate was deploying for the goofy wave. I was thinking about moving the actuator pins for longer reach but when the plate is fully deployed it totally washes out, so the idea of more didn't seem the greatest.

Comment

Hey bsreid!
        If I can give you some advices I would say :
        - the taps 3 numbers work like this, 1 is fully deployed and 12 is almost off.
        Cause you don't have the numbers you have to judge by yourself so taps3 at 3 (like almost everyone ride for a decent wave) is barely fully deployed. Degrees between 1 and 3 are very minimal when you look at it.

I realized that RZR are very sensitive so it's really a matter of weight. Every setting change when we are more or less people.
        Example of setting on the rzr :
        - 2 people in the boat (1 driver the other sit on the rear) and 1 riding port side. All ballast full 2 stock front, port side 900lbs (w005), starboard stock. Speed at 10.8
        Center taps at 4 (it's half deployed) and taps 3 at 1 (fully deployed)
        - 4 people in the boat ( 1 driver, 1 siting on the bow, 2 at the rear) all ballast full. Center taps at 2 (barely fully deployed and taps 3 at 5 (half deployed).

I don't know why you have speed issues.. we have stock prop and the 360 motor and we don't have any problem. But I don't had the chance to try it with more weight than 4 poeople. Maybe too much weight or what I'm thinking about is that your taps may be deploying more or less than the original taps system. That could explain the speed problem and the hard time setting the wave if the taps are deploying too much.

Last thing. Your last picture.
        Maybe try to deploy more your center tap it will help to have a higher wave and for the messy white lip try less deploying the taps3 usually that's help getting rid of the white and have a clean wave.

Hope this could help!
        Last edited by Mike88; 06-17-2017, 02:30 AM.

Comment

Is the deployment all or nothing or is it adjustable from retracted to fully deployed? WHat about more bow weight?
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

The deployment is fully adjustable through a lenco controller with indicator lights. When we were running initially we had lots of bow weight and the length was there but just without the push or height.
            I feel like our tabs are actually deploying too much, we were getting way more list when up at speed and it was impossible to turn the opposite direction.

I'm hoping we can get out tomorrow is weather permits.

Comment

He isnt running the system through a TT so all of the advice on settings is pointless. The only thing hes running is the same taps 3 plates and the same actuators. If my mind serves me right you are running the system off a lenco switch correct?

Give me a ring and Ill get you straightened out.
              Germaine Marine
              "A proud dealer of Tige, Supra, Moomba and ATX performance boats"

Comment

Your boat will surf fine, if you are comparing it to a newer Z then you might be in line for a let down, but lets get you operating first. I wont be at germaine this weekend so just call me and Ill get you going... 714-306-3999
                Germaine Marine

Comment

Ill also get you some angle measurements......... so you can see how much you need but by looking at the picture you look good on pin placement.

The lenco switch is a little weird but I have set one up..... again im available most of the day tomorrow for a chat.
                  Germaine Marine

Comment

Yeah it's just the Lenco lighted switch. I know my boat won't surf comparable to a z but it should be at least as good as listed.

Elevated, you don't mind if I give you a call on the weekend?

Comment

The tabs wont hinder you getting to speed, however if you are running a ton of rear weight now that would. The boat shouldnt be having any issues getting to 12 MPH. If it is then you either have a center plate issue, are under propped or both surf plates are deploying.
                      Germaine Marine

Comment

Not at all..... I just sent up an older Tige with a taps 3 retrofit, thing surfs awesome just took some time to make sure the system was working properly.
                        Germaine Marine

Comment

Originally posted by bsreid View Post
                          Yeah it's just the Lenco lighted switch. I know my boat won't surf comparable to a z but it should be at least as good as listed.

Elevated, you don't mind if I give you a call on the weekend?
                          It will be better then you had listed once we get the weight right. If you can, call me while its on the trailer first so we can make sure it is all working and then we can talk when it gets wet.

No man, im available for everyone 7 days a week.
                          Germaine Marine

Comment

We did try engaging the surf side tab and that didn't work too well so maybe it never went correctly up again. We kept most of the weight in the rear and probably dumped 500 non surf side and just ran listed and everything was fine, so I don't know. We are at sea level.

Comment

Originally posted by bsreid View Post
                              We did try engaging the surf side tab and that didn't work too well so maybe it never went correctly up again. We kept most of the weight in the rear and probably dumped 500 non surf side and just ran listed and everything was fine, so I don't know. We are at sea level.
                              I'll see how thins go this weekend but I probably won't get it on the trailer. I can feel the tabs underwater moving and coming all the way up though.

Comment

Working...
                              X