Skiguy's 2005 22v Ballast Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skiguy's 2005 22v Ballast Install

I just completed my ballast install and wanted to share my fun project. Many thanks to Mike (Chpthrl) - Mike's Liquid Audio. I purchased the kit from him at a great price and he was a huge help, tons of great advice to miss the gotchas and definitely made the project easier.

I chose to go with the flexible vane pumps as this being my first install I wanted to keep things simple.

Install overview:
    - Qty 3 - Johnson flexible vane pumps
    - I decided to try for qty 3 1in. thru-hull intakes. Mike included the hardware to do a tee and depending on how much room I could find near the v-drive I would decide on 2 holes or 3 for the intakes. (I ultimately went with 3)
    - Qty 2 1100 jumbo v-drive sacs (I already had the w711 in my bow)
    - We did 3/4" hose for the sac vents. 1" hose for fill & drain

Step 1: Mount the switch bezel into the side panel where the throttle controller is located.
    I chose to mount the switches in the recessed pocket area. Fairly straightforward. I had some 1/8" plywood I cut the bezel hole into and then cut about 2 inches around it and mounted it to the back of the panel with a bunch of small screws (2 sides) to keep it rigid. I cut the vinyl in a pie shape and stapled it to the back of the plywood and inserted the bezel. (*Tip - Thinking the vinyl would affect the fit of the bezel I cut the hole in the plywood slightly bigger than the bezel - as it turns out this was not the ideal way to do it. I recommend cutting the bezel hole to exact size. The vinyl when stretched and stapled isn't very thick at all and would provide much needed friction. My bezel is not as tight as I would like it as with the switches mounted, the wires behind the panel put some outward pressure on the bezel and can push the bezel slightly out of the hole - it's not a huge deal and can live with for now)
    Photo Mar 17, 4 26 22 PM.jpgPhoto Mar 17, 4 26 42 PM.jpg

Step 2: Mount the Pump Fuse Panel
    Mike included three 30 amp pop breakers and I thought it was a great idea. Up to that point I was planning on using inline fuses but I like the breaker idea better - easier to troubleshoot if a pump stops working. I made a small breaker panel out of that same 1/8" plywood and some thin aluminum sheet metal I had on had for mounting brackets. I painted the whole thing black and mounted it underneath the helm against the side of the hull.
    Photo Mar 17, 4 56 35 PM.jpg

Step 3: Mount Pumps
    I picked the starboard compartment, behind the locker, where the TAPS controller is located to mount two of my pumps. These pumps would be to fill/drain the rear sacs. I chose to mount one up against the transom and the other on the huge expanse of horizontal space directly below. I mounted the pump for the bow sac in the compartment in front of the helm up against the front wall.
    Photo Mar 17, 6 13 25 PM.jpg

Step 4: Run Wires
    This was pretty simple. Mike provided 12 ga. marine grade tinned wire. For the rear pumps I simply used wire ties to secure the wire to existing wire runs underneath the gunnel. I used heat shrink butt connectors to splice the wires at the pumps. The switch connections were a bit different. Since the side panel is removable I elected to use disconnect spade connectors. I labeled all wires.
    Photo Mar 19, 1 19 32 PM.jpgPhoto Mar 19, 2 17 22 PM.jpgPhoto Mar 19, 2 25 59 PM.jpgPhoto Mar 19, 12 59 46 PM.jpg

Step 5: Drill baby, drill.
    When identifying the locations for the 1in. thru hull intakes I quickly discovered my mounting options were going to be limited. There was actually a respectable amount of space on strbd side of the v-drive. I made some initial marks - with consideration for the shut-off valve handles etc. Then with a magnet on one of the marked locations, I crawled under the boat and quickly discovered that I was going to be very limited on where I could mount the intakes due to the location of the trailer bunkers. Long story short. All the space next to the v-drive got shrunk by 70% as a bunker ran directly under that area. After much measuring and analysis (and a couple beers) a good friend and I figured out we need to mount the intakes very near the longitudinal stringer . This gave us about 1in. of clearance from the bunker. The holes for the sac vents were simple. I chose to mount about 1.5 inches below the rail. I used a rotary tool to bevel the edges of all holes. Assembling the thru hull intakes was a 2 man job. I worked under the boat while a friend assembled the valves and the hose barb connectors. A PIA to be honest as we improvised and used the end of closed-ended wrench held by vice-grips to hold in place while the other tightened the assembly from above. (*Tip - the magnets were a life saver - bought mine at a local hobby shop)
    Photo Mar 18, 1 18 36 PM.jpgPhoto Mar 18, 4 38 01 PM.jpg

To be continued
    Last edited by skiguy; 04-22-2017, 08:36 PM.

Skiguy's 2005 22v Ballast Install (continued)

Step 6: Run the hoses
    The hose run to the forward pump was the most challenging as it required us to fish the hose from under the floor into the compartment in front of the helm. Definitely a two man job. I drilled the hole a few inches behind the air intake hose and it took a few tries to get the hose to feed up. Hoses for the rear pumps were pretty straight forward. Just ran them under the insulated exhaust tube and brought them up at the transom and over to the strbd pump compartment. The hose run from the horizontally mounted pump was a loop around the pump and then to the 2" hole into the compartment (I did this to ensure any pressure the sac placed on the hose wasn't transferred to the pump). The hose run from the transom mounted pump to the port locker was slick. I used two tubes that had been glassed into the transom behind the engine. It was a perfect fit and allowed me to easily run the hose down between the batteries on the port side. All below waterline connections and pump connections utilized the steel hose clamps. All sac and vent connections used the fiberglass hose clamps provided by Mike. I used a heat gun for a few seconds to soften the tubing and coated all hose barbs with marine sealant. (*Tip - for the front hose entry into the compartment - drill the hole at a rearward angle so the hose enters the compartment at an angle. The hose is stiff and hard to bend forward if it enters straight up into the compartment.)
    Photo Mar 19, 3 23 04 PM.jpgPhoto Mar 31, 12 25 27 PM.jpgPhoto Mar 31, 12 52 57 PM.jpg

Step 7: Place Sacs
    Because of concerns around the pressure 1100 lbs would put on my engine dividers, I mounted a 1in. angle bracket at the bottom of each divider to ensure the weight doesn't pop the divider out of it's track. Sacs were easy to configure with the supplied quick releases and hose barbs. I made a best effort on centering the sacs, but will adjust after I fill them for the first time.
    Photo Mar 25, 1 06 03 PM.jpgPhoto Mar 25, 3 32 25 PM.jpg

Step 8: Lake Test
    I finally found an evening to lake test. I did the basics to make sure the bottom intakes didn't leak (they didn't) and then did some testing. Fill time on the front 650lb sac was only about 3 minutes. nice! Fill time on the 1100 pound sacs were different for some reason -- port sac around 7 minutes and strbd sac around 8:30. With PP set to 11.2 and suck gate install on port side the goofy wave looked pretty good. Switching the gate I tried the regular side but it was all washed out - It will take some experimentation - I will try draining the strbd sac a little and see if that cleans it up. With this much weight in the rear of the boat I suspect I don't have enough bow weight anymore. The bow was really high and I lowered the taps from it's usual 3-4 position down to 1 to get the bow down a little. I was the only person in the boat and suspect it will be slightly better if I have some people to move forward. If anyone has some advice on how to best tune please let me know.
    Photo Apr 20, 7 14 24 PM.jpgPhoto Apr 20, 7 22 16 PM.jpgPhoto Apr 20, 7 26 17 PM.jpg

It was a rewarding project. I estimate I had around 20 hours into it, stretched out over a three weekends. Many thanks to Mike (Chpthrl) for the materials and the advice. Happy boating!

Photo Apr 20, 7 47 24 PM.jpg

Comment

awesome, its a fun project, you'll have to change your name now, you won't be skiguy with all that weight. you mounted switches same place i did.

Comment

Mission accomplished! Nice work!
        You could wrap the outside of that switch case with with
        electrical tape or get some of that one sided sticky foam tape stuff and use as much as you need to snug up the fit.
        Last edited by Jetdriver; 04-26-2017, 03:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jetdriver View Post
          Mission accomplished! Nice work!
          You could wrap the outside of that switch case with with
          electrical tape or get some of that one sided sticky foam tape stuff and use as much as you need to snug up the fit.
          That's exactly what I did - had some 1/16" neoprene tape and did a single wrap. The fit is perfect now.

Comment

Subbed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
            X