Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Losing Ballast Prime on Fill- Help wanted

TO,

I know we have some GENIUS ballast gurus on here, so I need some help. On our new RZX3, with Plug and Play, we are having some inconsistent fill issues due to pumps losing prime. Some will fill, some won't. Ive tried hitting fill while underway, as well as stopped. I know hose routing is very sensitive, but I've heard you all typically mention installing check valves to cure.

Any suggestions to cure are welcomed. I am taking it out again Friday, and would like to get whatever parts needed and will install asap.

Thank you all for your help,

Brandon
    -Brandon Lucas
    Houston, Tx

Hey Brandon, same bag all the time or different bags?

On my Z3 the port rear bag has trouble priming after its been on the lift. Once I get it to prime its fine the rest of the day. Two methods that work for me:
    1. Pop the boat in reverse for a quick spurt and turn the pump on and off. (works sometimes)
    2. Tap/knock/hit the anti siphon valve on that fill line a couple of times. I think mine dries up and gets stuck shuts sometimes. (tapping works everytime).

Brand new...I'd be on the dealer to fix that!

Comment

x2 on the check valve. I've been seeing that quite a bit this season on my boat. I have to suck on the end of the hose to get it to release, the pressure from the pump is insufficient.

Comment

Interesting note 007.

Since we have only been out 4 times or so, it's really only been the rears that have given me trouble, but this last time it was not both, just port side. I don't believe the anti siphoning loop is accessible for me to tap on the check valve.

Either way, I want it as simple as my Z3 was, where I could rely on it filling on demand as soon as I hit fill. If anyone has any recommendations or suggestions, I'm all ears.

We trailer everywhere and I usually finish the day with a "drain all" while boat is on trailer and on the ramp to get out as much as possible. Let me know if y'all think that is doing any harm or a possible cause of this headache.

Thanks again!
        -Brandon Lucas
        Houston, Tx

Comment

On mine when I go to accelerate I turn both rear fills on and off three times and it primes the pumps. Something easy you can try anyways

Comment

Check valves so not likely fix a priming issue on a fill pump. Poorly placed a check valve can make matters worse. U need to inspect the pump outlet orientation.
            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
              Check valves so not likely fix a priming issue on a fill pump. Poorly placed a check valve can make matters worse. U need to inspect the pump outlet orientation.
              Chp, can you elaborate when you have time? Also feel free to reach out on my cell anytime, if easier for you. (eight3two) 878-77ninesix

Thanks all for the advice. I have the build pics, so I can always reference those if needed to decipher positioning. The boat is at the dealer now for break in service, so don't have it in front of me to reference.
              -Brandon Lucas
              Houston, Tx

Comment

Originally posted by BLucas86 View Post
                Chp, can you elaborate when you have time? Also feel free to reach out on my cell anytime, if easier for you. (eight3two) 878-77ninesix

Thanks all for the advice. I have the build pics, so I can always reference those if needed to decipher positioning. The boat is at the dealer now for break in service, so don't have it in front of me to reference.
                Thats a weird one...... are they still using tsunamis with fittings on the floor to draw up and send up to the bags in the rear?

If so, I dont know why you would have a problem there.. given they are standing upright with a 90 degree orientation for the outlet.

If its still tsunamis on the floor, and I know you prob checked but just making sure that the ball valves are open all the way and not half way etc...

Im also fairly confident that from 16 on their is not an anti siphon loop on the fill just check valves..... but I could be mistaken.

Its taken me a while to diagnose the system in my 16 regarding drain and vent which arent any of your issues given your exits are on the deck half and much higher, but...... I have not seen any anti-siphon loop when going through the system.....
                Germaine Marine
                "A proud dealer of Tige, Supra, Moomba and ATX performance boats"

Comment

Chp, can you elaborate when you have time?
                  Depending on the valve type and its location the plumbing, remaining fill water from the previous trip can sit on top of the valve and hold it closed. This will prevent any trapped air from purging.

What you want it a constant uphill flow of water all the way from the thru-hull through the outlet of the pump and up the fill hose. Otherwise, trapped air prevent water upon the next launch, from completely filling the pump. Theres your priming issue.
                  Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Thanks all for the insight guys. My dealer and Tige was able to get me dialed. No issues thus far, and filled on demand no prob.

The "issue" was that the hose was a bit long and dipped down and didn't head straight up..... causing a P trap effect.

Much appreciated.
                    -Brandon Lucas
                    Houston, Tx

Comment

Working...
                    X