No announcement yet.

suck gate keeps falling of...... pictures of placement would help thx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you guys moving from side to side in the water? And how many have had trouble with it falling off when wet?
    Wake Up or Stay On Shore!

Comment

We switch sides with no concerns. We lift the suction lip a bit to let air out and then burp it with the lever a few times. All while in water of course

Comment

Here are a few pictures of the suck gate I have been working on. I have no clue what angle will work best so I made it adjustable. It has a setting for 45, 60 and 85 degrees. I used a piece of PVC pipe as a spacer for the middle section where the adjustable bolt runs between the uprights. I also used a piece of PVC pipe to help keep the forward tab down on the suction hands. It slides through the handle and is held in place by the cross piece for the rear handle. I've been wondering if the gates that keep falling off are because the forward lever for the suction cup is being forced up and releasing, so that is why I added the extra PVC tube through the handle to cover the forward lever.

It's only a rough prototype with scrap pieces of starboard I had laying around and some nuts and bolts I had around here. If it works I'll make a nicer cleaner version with an aluminum handle I've ordered from Amazon and beef it up with SS hardware and anti-corrosion coatings on the springs and other moving parts.

2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
        2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

Ewok, I think you may be disappointed with all the water you will let pass under the tab.

Comment

suck gate keeps falling of...... pictures of placement would help thx

Thanks for the tip. I'll try to see how much water passes below. I might make a bigger plate that goes all the way to the hull. This plate is 7x9. I figured what matters is surface area, angle and speed to impose a yaw moment on the hull. How much of a yaw moment is the question for me, which is why I made it adjustable and relatively easy to swap out the main tab for a different size and shape. It'll be fun to play with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Last edited by Ewok; 09-12-2016, 11:29 PM.
            2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
            2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

There was a lengthy discussion on homemade surfgate with pics. Here is the thread.
              http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...ighlight=wedge

Comment

The plastic one I used fell
                Off all the time. The metal
                One just has more bite to it and has never fallen off once.

Only problem I have found is that the internal springs are rusting. Need to order a back up handle be user they are bound to snap.

Comment

Ewok, I like the design. Check out Quick Shift Wake Surfing on face book. Really like the adjustable design.

Comment

Working...
                  X