KillerBren's 2006 22VE Ballast Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KillerBren's 2006 22VE Ballast Install

Well here's my ballast install thread. I bought my boat last spring with zero ballast. I bought the 2 custom rear sacs and bow sac from mike last year and spent a year filling them with external pumps. Well, I don't want to go through another season of doing that, it was kind of a pain.

Fast forward to this spring, I talked to mike and bought the parts needed for an aerator fill/drain with a reversible port/starboard transfer pump.

First step is to decide where to drill the holes in the bottom, with some help from you guys I decided on the configuration below and marked the hull. I checked clearance, rechecked, then checked it another few times for good measure. Positioned this way I am able to turn off the shut off valves with a short stick from the V drive access port (if ever needed in an emergency).

With the spots marked, I used magnets to tape off and transfer the marks from the inside to the bottom of the hull.

Now the tough part, drilling a hole in your expensive boat. I heard it was easier if you had a beer or two first, so I had 3. It helped lol. I started with a small pilot hole first just so I was absolutely certain 100% that my holes were lined up where they were supposed to be. Turns out they were marked perfect. I found the small pilot hole was a good way to "ease in" to drilling a massive hole. After the pilot it was a lot easier to bring out the hole saw.

Before I drilled the holes for the thru hulls, I tested the hole saws out on a piece of wood first. 1 1/4" was just barely too small, and 1 3/8" was a bit too big. I decided to go with the smaller size and dremel sand out the holes a small amount for a perfect fit. I think it was a good decision and it worked out well.

Dry fitting the thru hulls:

Dry fitting the pumps making sure everything sits okay, everything looking good so far.

Next up is the thru hulls for the drains/vents.

Using the bilge thru hull position and measurements as a base, I measured and taped up all the spots for the 4 drain thru hulls. Again, I used a pilot hole to double check position, and used the small hole to cut away the carpet in behind in the right spot.

Then out comes the hole saw.

Like the other thru hulls, 1 1/4" was just barely too small so I took a dremel with a sanding bit and made the hole slightly bigger for a perfect fit. While I was at it I chamferred the edge of the gel coat.

Then dry fitted the thru hull. Looks good.

Then did the same thing for the rest of the boat.

Tonights job is to seal the two bottom thru hulls and start drilling holes through the partitions in the boat for fill/drain lines.

Comment

Here is a question for you guys, this is the port compartment under the stereo deck. I have two amps under there, and one of them is up on the wall next to the bow compartment.

Common sense is telling me that it isn't smart to run water lines next to an amp (obviously). But in your experience would I be able to lift that amp up 2-3 inches and run the bow drain line under it? I know I should move it, but it's in a good spot right there and if I can get around moving it i'm open to suggestions.

Comment

You might have an inch or little more, before those upper screws would be coming through above the seat base rather than in the locker. However, you may need to move that from the wall anyway. Those screws could be an issue for the bow sac.
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Looking great Killerbren! You got to have some stones to do the drilling, I didn't have to on this boat, but have put in clearance lights on my brand new Ram pickup and putting several 1 inch holes in the roof was a little nerve wracking.

I would move that app as well. I have one on the front side of the locker and the other on the outside wall.
          "Charlie don't surf"

Comment

Nice buddy! Sketchy part done!
            I'd move the amp to the inside wall where the bilge vent tube is. I've also seen them mounted on the inside wall below where the main door is. (Backside of the cooler area)

Comment

Lose the stick my man! image.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Jetdriver View Post
                Nice buddy! Sketchy part done!
                I'd move the amp to the inside wall where the bilge vent tube is. I've also seen them mounted on the inside wall below where the main door is. (Backside of the cooler area)
                I already have one of my amps on the inside wall by the cooler, so my only other option is to either move the amp up a few inches or put the amp on the wall by that vent. I'm a little nervous to put it on that wall because i'm not sure how thick that fiberglass is and dont want to have screws (or screw holes) poking into the walkway to the bow.

Originally posted by Jetdriver View Post
                Lose the stick my man! [ATTACH]43293[/ATTACH]
                I thought of doing that, but honestly i'm kind of lazy and thats a job that can be done whenever, so I may just do it down the road when everything is said and done.

Comment

If you feel around the inside of the port walkway wall, you will fell a glassed-in board. Its there for mounting the amps to.

Last edited by chpthril; 06-14-2016, 12:01 AM.
                  Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

^what Chpthril said. That's where all my amps are too.

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                      If you feel around the inside of the port walkway wall, you will fell a glassed-in board. Its there for mounting the amps to.
                      No way, I didn't know that, see this forum is filled with good information like this.

How thick is that board? 1/2 inch?

Comment

Not positive but the screws that are holding my amps in are 3/4" with no issues.

Comment

u are safe with .75 penetration.

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                            u are safe with .75 penetration.
                            Where I come from, that is called "just the tip"[emoji12]
                            "I think I am pretty smart for an idiot"

Comment

You beat me to it Dandy! I was gonna throw in the ol' "that's what she said!" Haha
                              Last edited by Jetdriver; 06-14-2016, 05:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X