No announcement yet.

2011 RZ2 Ballast Upgrade Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recently bought a 2011 RZ4 with the surf setup. For surfing I added a 765lb sac to the port rear locker. The sac was the 30x25x25 LBS customizable sac from www.wakemakers.com. I piped it in using the factory plumbing. I am having a lot of trouble with passive drainage and cannot keep the added sac full long enough to get a good surf session in. I have checked all of my fitting and connections and cannot find anything leaking. Can anyone offer suggestions to identify my issue?

Comment

Have you watched the drain and vent lines to see if anything is draining out of those? If so, and if they are exiting the same side of the boat that the sac is on, you may need to cross the lines to vent/drain out the other side.

If there's nothing coming out of those lines, you probably have passive draining through the fill line (yes, it can push its way through the pump). I had that when I upgraded my sacs and was able to cure it with a check valve on the fill line.

Comment

^^^^What coop said. My money is on the full line. If there is a ball valve or emergency shutoff on the intake, you can turn it off after the bags are full and see if they still drain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

I have not watched the drain/vent lines, I will definitely take note of them. I will order a check valve to install on 4th of July weekend. I have considered just adding a shut off valve to all the lines and just closing them all off after the bag is full, has anyone done this?

Comment

Originally posted by b_jackson_03 View Post
            I have not watched the drain/vent lines, I will definitely take note of them. I will order a check valve to install on 4th of July weekend. I have considered just adding a shut off valve to all the lines and just closing them all off after the bag is full, has anyone done this?
            You may already have shut-off valves at the pumps, but those might be difficult to get to. My worry about using a shut-off valve in this way would be forgetting to open them before filling again. Just another thing to remember (and potentially a hassle depending on where they're located).

Comment

Well guys, I installed a check valve on the fill line and it did not help. My aftermarket bag continued to drain. Since it was still draining, I reconnected my factory bag and now it has started to drain on its own. Anymore suggestions? I'm at a loss.

Comment

Well guys, I installed a check valve on the fill line and it did not help. My aftermarket bag continued to drain. Since it was still draining, I reconnected my factory bag and now it has started to drain on its own. Anymore suggestions? I'm at a loss.
                Although those are my custom sac, im happy to help.

First, you need to isolate where the passive draining is occurring. With a fill, drain and vent lines, there are 3 possible avenues for the draining and it can be happening in 1 or all 3.

Now, where in the fill plumbing did you install the check valve? It has to be after the pump but before the T fitting that splits off to the tank and sac

Next, Use a rubber or cork plug in the vent and drain outlets to try and stop the draining. Once you stop it, you can then backtrack to determine whether its one or both of those lines. Once the sac is full, plug the outlets and surf. Check the bag from time to time to see if it stays full or is draining.

For the fill line, I would sill use the ball-valve to isolate the fill plumbing. Once the sac is full, close the valve and surf.

If it stays full, open the ball valve and surf some more. if stays full, you know the check valve worked.

Pull the plug from the drain outlet and surf some more. If the sac drops, you know its draining through the drain plumbing. Now, refill the sac, plug the drain back up and uncork the vent and surf again. If the sac drops again, we know its also draining through the vent.

Once we know where its draining, the fix is easy.
                Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Thanks Chpthril! I installed the check valve in the fill line, near the sac. However, I don't think it is before the vent T. I will change the placement this coming weekend. I will also do the cork test and try to narrow down my possibilities.

Comment

Thanks Chpthril! I installed the check valve in the fill line, near the sac. However, I don't think it is before the vent T. I will change the placement this coming weekend. I will also do the cork test and try to narrow down my possibilities.
                    I had this same problem when I installed my check valve on the fill line, and chpthtil is exactly right about the placement. Once I moved it, problem solved.

Comment

I sure hope you guys are right! Otherwise, I'm going to build a control board with 6 shut-off valves to direct the flow.

Comment

I assure you it will be easier to resolve the actual problem, then it will be to do that.
                        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

chpthril, Coop,

I brought the boat home and filled the bag up, out of the water, it was definitely draining out of the intake port. I moved the check valve to just after the pump, problem solved! I appreciate all the help, thanks guys!

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

chpthril, Coop,

I brought the boat home and filled the bag up, out of the water, it was definitely draining out of the intake port. I moved the check valve to just after the pump, problem solved! I appreciate all the help, thanks guys!
                              Great to hear. I think that took me almost a season to figure out. I should have asked chp earlier.

Comment

Working...
                              X