Replacing Rear Bags In My Z3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing Rear Bags In My Z3

My 2015 Z3 was and early build and originally ordered with the 2300 lbs pro system for 2015, meaning it still has the hard tanks in it and the 350 lbs stock bags. I kept the W004 bags from my RZR and I'm going to install them in the Z3. I ordered all of the new quick connect parts I needed to make it work. Looking for some opinion's from you guys.

1) I'm having a hell of a time getting the stock ballast fittings out of the hose even with heating the hose up. What's the trick to this? Why in the world weren't stock quick connects used?

2) Tige was not very liberal with hose lengths back there. The ports for my W004 bags are almost identically except for the bottom. The stock 350 lbs bag has it's bottom ports close together towards the middle of the bag where my W004's are further apart like the old Tige ballast systems was. I could see myself having to extend some hose so I can make the fittings work down there. Should I just save my self the hassle of getting the fitting out of the hose and just cut them off and extend them all using a hose barb union fitting. I have to order 2 more sets of quick connect fitting's anyway because I only ordered 4 per bag and I need 5.

3) If I order hose barb fittings, should I order the 1" or the 1 1/8 inch. The new hose is 1 1/8 correct?

Here's the hose barb fitting picture.
    Attached Files

Why in the world weren't stock quick connects used?
    Cause they are not stock> The Tige sacs are tige sacs, not fly high sacs with fly high quick connect fittings. Sounds like your W004 from your rz2 was back when tige actually was having fly high build their sacs, so they came with the flu high threaded ports. This made using the quick connect fittings natural.

You do not want to try and compress a 1.125" coil reinforced hose down on a 1" barb.

Have you tried a radiator hose removal tool? Once you warm the hose up with a heat gun, give it a twist to break the grip. After that, insert the hose tool and they should work off. However, if you feel they wont reach the W004 fittings, then cut the hose and use the double barb.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I had to cut my hose to get them off. I agree they are too short. I had a challenging time particularly with the bottom hoses (to the hard tank)

I bought a conduit cutting tool and it helped cut that reinforced hose.

And yes it is 1.125"

Sent from my BlackBerry Priv

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnieMo View Post
        I had to cut my hose to get them off. I agree they are too short. I had a challenging time particularly with the bottom hoses (to the hard tank)

I bought a conduit cutting tool and it helped cut that reinforced hose.

And yes it is 1.125"
        That was my my fear. Like you said, I can see the bottom hoses being a nightmare. There is literally just enough hose to come up out of the floor from the hard tank and connect to the bag. Looking forward to it.....

Comment

I cut the hose length wise a bit to loosen. Maybe 3/4". That was enough to slip it off. Then I cut it clean with the conduit cutter.

The new elbow quick connects add a little length as I recall so that helps.

Sent from my BlackBerry Priv

Comment

Got a chance to jump back into the ballast bag swap today and got the starboard bag out. The fittings on the bottom of the bag were an absolute nightmare to get out, the radiator hose removal tool was a must have. I got all the quick connects installed but I am going to have to cut down the ballast hose on the bottom. The distance between the fitting on the bottom right now is about 8 1/2 inches from center of fitting to center of fitting. The ports on my W004 bags are about 15 inches roughly from port to port so I got a cutter and i'm going to have to shorten the lines. Here's a pic of the stock bag out and the plumbing and new fittings so far.

Comment

Working...
            X