GSA on an older Z3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GSA on an older Z3?

Looking at the '16 Z3 boats for sale I see that most of them are coming with TAPS3.

Personally I'm mixed about the set up. BUT what if a fully XL weighted Taps3 boat makes as good (or nearly as) wave as an AVX Z3?...AND what if it gets nearly the same gph as an AVX Z3? Does that sound good?

So why not find a '13 or '12 Z3 for thousands less and add your own XL size ballast and 'switch set up' tabs? Like GO SURF ASSIST?

I could save meelin$ of dollars over a '16!!!!
    Last edited by MooseX; 10-10-2015, 04:25 PM.
    my midlife crisis started at puberty and I plan on enjoying it all the way to the end..

Based on Ragboy's initial assessment of the TAPS3 RZX, I am guessing loosely through he transitive property that a very heavy GSA equipped Z3 would be quite impressive. It does not appear to me that the tabs on TAPS3 are anything special. I am sure through the adjustability of the GSA tabs you could get pretty close to the same thing--or possible better.

I think your idea makes good sense!

I really think the skinny is this: listed waves are best--but if you slam a Convex hull and add tabs you can make a pretty darn dece wave without listing. System waves that I have been on (Supra, Axis, MC) have no lip and produce rounded mushy waves. But the Tige waves with TAPS3 appear to keep a lip and some steepness. Why is that? Is it ConvexV?

Looking foward to Ragboy's vids. However I probably will not be able to ever afford an RZX, so I will have to talk a wealthy friend into it.

Originally posted by MooseX View Post
    Looking at the '16 Z3 boats for sale I see that most of them are coming with TAPS3.

Personally I'm mixed about the set up. BUT what if a fully XL weighted Taps3 boat makes as good (or nearly as) wave as an AVX Z3?...AND what if it gets nearly the same gph as an AVX Z3? Does that sound good?

So why not find a '13 or '12 Z3 for thousands less and add your own XL size ballast and 'switch set up' tabs? Like GO SURF ASSIST?

I could save meelin$ of dollars over a '16!!!!
    Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like bananas!

Comment

How does the GSA fit with the Convex VX? I emailed them a few weeks ago but never heard back.

Comment

With Convex VX it would not work, no place to mount the tabs. I would think.

On non VX boats, as long as there is clearance underneath the swim deck, I think there would be no difficulty (example, older Z3 as OP mentioned). There is a 22Ve with it already installed out there, but they had to install it 7" iboard of the boat corners instead of the recommended 4". However, it works fine.

Originally posted by dmbisbest View Post
        How does the GSA fit with the Convex VX? I emailed them a few weeks ago but never heard back.

Comment

Why can't you just cut out some tabs in the Convex vx and put the tabs in there? It's just fiberglass and wood. That's been my scheme for whenever I get the time and resolve to do it.

I'm also of the belief that 2017 will see a TAPS3 / Vx hybrid. You heard it here first

Sent from my Passport

Comment

I personally would relocate the swim deck higher if it was in the way

Now what I really really really want to see is a fully listed Z3 and then hit the GSA tabs. I mean really 'dump' it. More than Ragboy..just slam it..then tab it and see what happens. That might be a really big a*s wave from hell
            my midlife crisis started at puberty and I plan on enjoying it all the way to the end..

Comment

The kind of wave that one can't deny being the biggest and baddest......

Comment

When I was speaking with Ryan from GSA and described my 24Ve with custom sacs he said he would really love to see both customs full and hit the tabs.....I personally don't think my motor would handle that weight in the rear up to surfing speed.

Comment

I'm def looking for a Z3 with a motor upgrade. Not sure if the raptor was an option on early Z3'....

Comment

2015 I think was the first. You would most likely be looking for a 409. A very Z3-like boat that really looks like a good value to me is the MB Sports B52 V23--the newer ones. Looks like a very very solid boat.
                    Last edited by dakota4ce; 10-11-2015, 06:36 PM.

Comment

I've checking them out as well. They have true deep V hulls too!

Comment

Originally posted by MooseX View Post
                        I've checking them out as well. They have true deep V hulls too!
                        And Raptors....

Comment

yup I'd love to see that. Like I said I would move the swimdeck up no problem

Comment

i wanna see the 22ve with it also

Comment

Originally posted by jtryon
                              any pics and details on this 22Ve with GSA?
                              http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...er!&highlight=

Check this thread for pics. Its the brackets for the swimdeck that interfere, not the deck itself. Would be a little bit more work to move those I would think. I think the device is ideally placed 4" from corner but in this case had to be 7".

Comment

Working...
                              X