How to remove front ballast bags 2015 Z3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to remove front ballast bags 2015 Z3

I need to remove or at least partially remove the front ballast bags on my 2015 Z3 surf XL in order to completely empty them and dry out the bow compartment. Only problem is they seem to be affixed all the way in the front of the bow and I cannot pull them through the only access behind the front passenger seat and under the driver side dash. I have removed the entire bow floor cushion but there are no access holes in the fiberglass deck. Anyone else have this problem and find a solution?

I have never removed mine, but it looks like you can pull them out from either side in the locker storage areas. On the port side there is that black plastic resin piece with a few screws in it to remove and it allows a large access hole. The starboard side under helm locker where the heater is mounted will most likely have your pump sitting right under the heater and can access the bags from that side also. There isn't as much room on that side but can get to it and will have to disconnect the pump there anyway.

Comment

Thanks, JLG. I've gotten that far already opening up both sides and accessing the bags and pumps, however the bags are tethered at the extreme front of the bow compartment on both sides. I can't crawl into that space to get to the front to unhook them.

Comment

You might try to remove the front speakers & reach through one of those now open holes

Comment

No need to remove the bags to drain them. I just disconnect the drain pump from the bag and use a shop vac to suck the remaining water out of the bag

Comment

Thanks, Dil and Ric. I'll try both of these options and let you know how it works out.

Comment

Ok. I was able to drain the bags fully using a shop vac and covering the vent line thru hull. It's nice that the shop vac nozzle fits perfectly in the pump housing after you remove the pump motor/impeller from the housing. After I got the bags drained I was able to see how they are tethered in the bow. Each bag is tethered along the side just below the bow speaker. Sure enough as Dill suggested, if you remove the speaker you can untie the ballast bag. My port side bag was positioned nicely and snug along the port hull. My starboard bag was twisted and laying almost in the middle away from the hull wall and over lapping the port side bag. I will reposition it now that it is empty and winterized and watch it next season to see if it stays in the proper position. A day or two with a low flow heated dryer fan should dry the bow compartment out nicely now! Thanks for all your help!

Comment

JM great info thanks for posting back.

Comment

Working...
                X