Drying and Mold Prevention Under Big Ballast Bags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've seen a few solutions in older boats for getting the empty bags up off the carpet for drying. These were usually some straps connected high in the compartment that went under the bag and allowed the bag to be hung in the compartment off the carpet.

Does anyone know of better methods?

I just pull mine out if I am not using for a little while, takes just a couple mins.

Comment

It seems to me like unhooking vent, drain and maybe a couple of fill connections every time almost defeats the convenience of a fully plumbed, automated system. I should have noted that this is my intention. I'm tired of the scramble to get everything filled with portable pumps.

Comment

There is no way around it. You will get moisture under the bags. I do the same as Dukes. I pull the bags up as much as I can to get some air under them or completely out other times. Before the boat goes away for the winter everything gets pulled so it can completely dry. Regardless hitting a switch to fill bags is life changing from throwing pumps overboard and spilling water all of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by dreddy View Post
          It seems to me like unhooking vent, drain and maybe a couple of fill connections every time almost defeats the convenience of a fully plumbed, automated system. I should have noted that this is my intention. I'm tired of the scramble to get everything filled with portable pumps.
          With the use of quick connects, it takes about 30 seconds to pull or reinstall a sac.

For those times between pulling the sacs you could cut and lay in something like this http://www.nelinen.com/images/kitchenmats.jpg to allow for some air flow
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I think most of the new boats I have looked into have stopped putting carpet into the hidden areas of storage in the boat. Maybe I should just buy a new boat! I like the kitchen mat stuff (HUGE PIC by the way). Maybe I can find something along those lines to try out. The other thing that be better with the auto system is that I can fill and empty without loosing a drop. The amount of water going into the carpet is going to be much less than what I get now so it may not be as big of a deal as I'm expecting.

Comment

Even without spilling water, you will still get condensation under the sacs when you pump cold lake water into a hot closed up locker.
              Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I used Dri-Dek panels in most of my lockers, including under the sacks.

I also have some miner's moss (much cheaper) for a bow area but I have not used it yet.

Comment

Looks to be a little carpet in the lockers of this 2016 Malibu

Comment

Ick. My buddies newer Malibu has the 'shag' type of carpet EVERYWHERE and it is always soaked. I'll take the matted down 16 year old carpet in my 21v over that [emoji23].

Anywho - that kitchen mat stuff is a great idea. I may have to give that a go in my port locker...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                      Looks to be a little carpet in the lockers of this 2016 Malibu

I read a post somewhere once to the effect of "Malibu is as attached to carpets as Texans are to big belt buckles"
                      "I think I am pretty smart for an idiot"

Comment

Odd that their cheap brand (Axis) has taken the superior route and has no carpet in it--or at least very little. I don't know why any Malibu lover would buy one vs an Axis.

Oh well, something I won't have to worry about.
                        Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like bananas!

Comment

Working...
                        X