2008 RZ4 ballast question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2008 RZ4 ballast question

So this offseason I added 750lb bags, upgraded fill pumps and added separate drain pumps in my boat. (Big thanks to Mike for all his help) Last week I ran into my cousin that did some similar work to his 2006 X-Star, difference is he had his floor cut out and his bags put in the bottom of the boat on each side and then had a new "floor" made out of teak and installed over them so he can still use his lockers and if he needs to, get to the bags.

My question has anyone tried this in any of the mid to late 2000's Tige boats? If so was it worth it? How much room is under the existing floor in the lockers in these boats?

A few people here have pulled the floor in their 09+ Tiges so that they have useable space right down to the fiberglass. The hard tanks in those boats were under there anyway from the factory. My understanding was that in the 07,08s you can't do this because of how the floor is built.

You should do some digging and see what you can do back there. If it works in your 08, it should work in my 07.

Comment

I will keep digging and see what I can find

Comment

Not much to dig, but a saw would get you somewhere. The boat was built with no intention what so ever of that anything would ever going under the floor. The boats floor is a single piece, not a false floor type panel as the 09 and new models. It would take a say to get in there. At that point, how has the structural integrity been changed? Think about taking out a load bearing wall to make a room larger. Once a section of the floor is cut out, is it a cavity thats empty or filled with foam at most?
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Exactly the questions I am trying to answer. Wanting to find out if anyone has tried it, done it, is the room under there worth it? Did it cause any problems with the integrity of the hull?
          I am hoping to find out these questions before I go cutting up a ~$50k boat

Comment

Wanting to find out if anyone has tried it
            Not that they have posted on this forum. If so, I would have read it. Your questions are likely only going to be answered by A, doing it, B) talking with someone at Tige who knows that hull construction.
            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Have Mike build you a new custom sac or sacs. I just got mine installed and working from him last week. What a huge difference from the previous ones. Thanks again Mike.

Comment

I just got bags from Mike, I saw what my cousin had done and wanted to possibly get some locker space back if possible. I will give Tige a call tomorrow and see what I can find out.

Comment

Depending on the year and model of MC and CC, they had a below floor ballast, much like Tige started in 2009. What they really did was put a tank in the recessed locker floor and then cover it with a false floor panel. Right now, the MB's and CC's G boats are the only ones with a real below floor ballast. Centurion is close as it has true built in tanks, but its taking up under seat storage and not really below floor level.

The Tige ASR as some "below floor" ballast, but, it also has some thin "L" shaped sacs that are above floor, but hidden by panels.

Comment

I called tige when i got my 07 rz4 and asked about tanks under the rear lockers floor. i was told that they are filled with foam. However I did not ask about what cutting the floor out would do? In the event you did it you would need to remove all the foam that is in there before you could put anything in there. I am also interested in this although it looks like selling it and buying a different boat would be easier!

Comment

Thanks for the response, just the info I was looking for. Sounds like I will be keeping the saw away from my boat.

Comment

Working...
                      X