21v Ballast Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

21v Ballast Install

Hey guys. Got finished up with the first stage of my ballast install on my 21v last weekend and tested it out last night. Everything works as planned and I am really pumped to have the project done (for now )! I figured I would share a few details and pictures of the project as I worked through it.

Phase 1 of my project was to drill a through hull, wire and plumb in one reversible impeller pump to a port side custom surf sac. Phase 2 will either take place late this season or next spring when I will add a second impeller pump and a bow sac. Big thanks to Mike with Mike's Liquid Audio for putting together all of the parts, fittings, custom sac, and most of all answering about a million questions along the way. Also to my buddy, Yokes, who has a 21v as well and let me borrow his trailer.

IMG_2241.jpg

Drilling the through hull was what I was most concerned with. After working with a buddy for a while we found what would be the best location to drill. We checked the location in relation to the trailer bunks, fresh water scoop, transducer, etc. and marked everything up. I drilled a small pilot hole from the inside to use as a locator from drilling underneath. I used blue painters tape on both sides of the hull to ensure no damage to the gel coat. Tested the hole saw in a piece of wood just to make sure sizing was correct as well.

IMG_2217.jpg
    IMG_2218.jpg

After drilling I used a Dermel tool with a sanding attachment to bevel the hole edges, which worked very well. I put the epoxy on the flange of the through hull fitting and also in the bilge where the nut on the inside would press down. My buddy tightened down the nut on the inside while I was using a chisel and wrench to hold the fitting from spinning underneath the boat. We noticed that when the nut on the inside of the bilge was tightened down, the whole fitting still spun. I then spun the fitting from the bottom of the boat which really snugged things up. We actually forgot to attach the shut off valve before tightening, but lucked out and the direction of the handle ended up being correct.

IMG_2222.jpg
    IMG_2223.jpg

Next we drilled the hole for the vent and installed the fitting. We located it in the same place as the bilge fitting on the other side of the boat. I had already mounted the pump and ran the wires for it about a week ago when the boat was on the lift. I located the pump on the back of the rear seat, right behind the ski pylon in the engine compartment.

IMG_2226.jpg
    IMG_2231.jpg

I used a heat gun to soften up all of the hoses while connecting everything. This was very helpful to prevent damage to anything and make sure all of the connections would not leak.

IMG_2230.jpg
    IMG_2233.jpg

I used a Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel and router bit to cut out the hole for the rocker switch. I chose to mount it on the throttle wall right next to my tower speaker volume knob. This will leave me room to add one or two more in the future.

IMG_2235.jpg

Everything went very well and I am extremely pleased with this project. Will follow up with some more pictures of the wave and the sac filled up when I get some time to do some more testing!

Nice Pictures! Looks great!

Comment

Install looks great, lets seem wave now!
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

nice

Comment

Crossing my fingers I will make it out tomorrow night for a surf. Can't wait!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Went for a quick spin with the boat just now. Played with the wave a little bit. This is what I got right off the bat! Pictures really don't do it justice, it is so clean, big and the pocket is pretty long. A little more weight up front and I think she will be dialed! Thanks again Mike!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433539388.744150.jpg
            ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433539395.891566.jpg

Comment

looks great Mitch, nice clean job!
              2013 Z3 - Electric blue and black

Comment

Thanks Mike! You guys gonna be down at the MNWSC again this year?

Comment

Nice work. I was 100% sold on going with Aerator pumps till I saw how easy and clean this install looks. I'm just afraid I'm gonna leave one on am burn up impellers.

Comment

Originally posted by jbgp1200 View Post
                    Nice work. I was 100% sold on going with Aerator pumps till I saw how easy and clean this install looks. I'm just afraid I'm gonna leave one on am burn up impellers.
                    Thanks! Yeah you definitely need to keep an eye on them. I usually just empty until my boat is fairly level after a surf, and then look at the bag when it is back on the lift. It's pretty easy to judge. You really don't need to get every bit of water out of the sac, if there is still even a couple hundred pounds in there it shouldn't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by mdk681 View Post
                      Thanks Mike! You guys gonna be down at the MNWSC again this year?
                      We will be there, and the 10k. And I think we're going up to Alex to the tige demo weekend, July 11th and 12th.
                      2013 Z3 - Electric blue and black

Comment

Originally posted by mnpracing View Post
                        We will be there, and the 10k. And I think we're going up to Alex to the tige demo weekend, July 11th and 12th.
                        Nice! I'll be at the MNWSC again and hopefully make it to the 10k for one day just to watch.

Comment

I'm looking at doing something like this fairly soon...Where you have your pump located at is there an issue with the pump being "primed" or is that not an issue for this particular pump?

Comment

It is a reversible impeller pump, as opposed to an aerator style, so there are no issues with priming. It works great and I absolutely love the setup. Easy to install and still a great fill/drain rate

Comment

Gotta love the 21V wave. Not bad for a boat that was never intended for surfing! What weights are you running. We run a 400 rear locker and a 200 in the side under the seat.

Comment

Working...
                              X