Where to get lead for boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to get lead for boat

I'm looking to get 300lbs of lead weight to put in the nose of my 06 tige. Does anyone know where to get some. Or what to use.

Check pop products online. Troy is a nice guy

Comment

Go to a sports store and buy the round plastic covered lifting weights there easy to put where ever you want , we have the play it again sports stores here and you can get a good buy on used equipment.

Comment

Look up Leadwakes on Facebook. They sell 50lb bags that are flatter than the pop products bags. Very easy to deal with as well.
        A man can only be beaten 2 ways - give up or die!

Comment

Lead Ballast Weights

Comment

+1 Leadwakes. Great bags.
            Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like bananas!

Comment

Originally posted by Greeko View Post
              Check pop products online. Troy is a nice guy
              X2. I like that the bags have handles and are easy to move around.

Comment

50$ for every 50lbs will get expensive real fast since im trying to get about 350-400 lbs. Im thinking about using some old dumbells, rubberize coat them and stick them in the bow of my boat. And if i get bored on the water I can get some curls in lol

Comment

Some people have had luck getting old wheel weights from tire shops. It might be a cost effective solution. Dumbells might work, but they will take up more room.

Comment

I made these years ago. A customer of mine is a steel supplier. The blocks are the same as a block of paper. 8"x11"x2" and weigh about 55lbs each. I then had a friend weld on the round bar for handles and had them Rhino Lined. Rhino guy charged me next to nothing as he just did a few coats when working on other projects. I have 4 of them and they have worked great over the years. They pull great double duty as wheel chocks and have used all 4 when I got a flat on my boat trailer to put the truck jack on. I also use them as anchors out the front and back.
                    Attached Files

Comment

What is the advantage to using lead?

I would think that would just unnecessarily weight the boat down when just cruising and such...

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
                        I made these years ago. A customer of mine is a steel supplier. The blocks are the same as a block of paper. 8"x11"x2" and weigh about 55lbs each. I then had a friend weld on the round bar for handles and had them Rhino Lined. Rhino guy charged me next to nothing as he just did a few coats when working on other projects. I have 4 of them and they have worked great over the years. They pull great double duty as wheel chocks and have used all 4 when I got a flat on my boat trailer to put the truck jack on. I also use them as anchors out the front and back.
                        did you just get raw steal from him? how much did they cost you to build, and where did you get the handles? looks awesome though.

Comment

^^ yes, it was just cut out of a 2" thick sheet. I think I paid about $ 150.00 for all four in the end....it was about 10 years ago so don`t remember exactly. My buddy had the round bar already so he just bent it and welded it on for handles.

Comment

Lead in Vancouver costs 1.24 canadian per lb for lb. Metalex sells 60 lb ingots with handles. It isn't that bad considering its done for you and you don't have to mess around!

I just picked up a bunch of weight from pop-products, Paid something like 1.15 canadian shipped in the nice bags....

Comment

If you start asking around the lead just seams to start showing up. Lead flashing, lead wheel weights, shotgun shot, etc. I melted down and cast into small ingots (you can use muffin pan for moulds). I bought eight dollar tool pouches from lowes and put 100 pounds in each one. I have four bags. It takes up very little room and gives you some adjustability when you don't have enough friends in the boat to move around. Only thing to consider is that while the bag is small, at 100 pounds, it is pretty difficult to move around. Might consider 50 pound bags.

Comment

Working...
                              X