Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Test Driving 2006 22ve with no ballast, what to expect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Test Driving 2006 22ve with no ballast, what to expect?

Looking to purchase my first boat, will mainly be used for surfing, I am regular footed, will be financing, not leaning towards any certain brand or type just yet, just looking for the best wave for the money I'm willing to spend, $40k ish budget.

Question:
    I will be test driving this 2006 22ve tomorrow but it doesn't have any ballast in it. I asked how much it would be to add it and he said it is around $3k and it would add 1600lbs. Doesn't that sound high? How hard would it be to get a friend to help me install it? How should I approach the test drive without knowing what the wave will look like once the ballast is in? How is the wave on these boats, anyone use theirs for mainly surfing?

http://www.skidock.com/Page.aspx/dii...Tige-22Ve.aspx

Thanks in advance!

he said it is around $3k and it would add 1600lbs. Doesn't that sound high?
    Without knowing how many sacs, what sacs and what pump types. 2 custom surf sacs and a bow sac plus 3 impeller pumps and all the goodies to plumb them in will exceed 2K in parts. Factor in a typical dealer p/hr labor rate of $90 or higher.

How hard would it be to get a friend to help me install it?
    Lots of folks here have done their own ballast installs. its not an easy job, but certainly doable.

Looking to purchase my first boat, will mainly be used for surfing,
    You're looking at one of the best!
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

22VE is a great all around boat and surfs very well. That said you may be disappointed with no ballast in the boat. They do require a lot of weight. I wouldn't even bother with the 1600 lbs for $3000 the dealer is offering. That boat needs way more than that, heck I was running around 2500 in an RZR. Spend the money and do it right the first time so your not spending money twice.

Comment

Thanks, if I dont go with the dealership package (1600lbs) what is the heaviest package out there that is made for that boat and where can I purchase all the parts for it?

Comment

Can of corn TX, contact Chpthril (Mike) and he will set you up with everything you need no problem.

Comment

You're gonna love that boat. Same as mine and I absolutely love it; I could sit and stare at it all day. Like everyone has mentioned it might be better that there is no ballast in it as is. If you're willing to tear into things, from what I've read, it wouldn't be that bad a job. Be sure to check all the other stuff out including: how it shifts, steering cable, true hours, make sure the Tige Speed Set functions properly, Taps plate functions, etc. For what it's worth, I'd really work on the price, seems a bit high. You may be able to factor in a ballast system in negotiations.
            "Charlie don't surf"

Comment

chp will hook you up. I added extra drain/fill and his bag to mine in a weekend(well several but only a few hours at a time). he sent awesome directions to integrate with tt and the box included EVERYTHING down to an extra hoseclamp just incase....
              3k seems close if you are diy guy. lots of help on here. nice thing is you are starting from scratch and can do it right. I would expect a lot more than 1600lbs if doing it yourself with chp's help.

agreed that price seems a few k high but if the boat is mint, probably will get it.
              2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
              2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Originally posted by boardman74 View Post
                22VE is a great all around boat and surfs very well. That said you may be disappointed with no ballast in the boat. They do require a lot of weight. I wouldn't even bother with the 1600 lbs for $3000 the dealer is offering. That boat needs way more than that, heck I was running around 2500 in an RZR. Spend the money and do it right the first time so your not spending money twice.
                Depending on where the 1600lbs is located and the OP's desire to surf that is a good amount. I have a 22ve and have one of the 1st generation, Chpthril correct me if I'm wrong, sacs that is about 1100lbs and that is typically all I fill up. If there are only three of us in the boat I may fill up another 750lb sac part way. I know that there are different configurations and some of is depends on the hull. I have not had any luck with adding weight to the front or opposite side.

The plus side to you installing is knowing that it is done with quality parts. A lady that worked with my buddy had a Supra that was installed by an installer and they used sprinkler parts and it was a mess. If you take your time it can be done fairly easy. Cost wise depending on the sac's, get one and move it, and parts and if you need any additional tools it might be close to that but you might get bigger sac's better pumps etc... I only have one of the custom sac's and it always stays on one side because we all surf the same side.

Another option that many of us have done is to go with a custom and a manual pump. If it works the way you want you can then plan an auto install. You would still be able to use the sac and you can use the pump for emergencies or if you want to fill other sacs in different locations for testing.

Just my

Comment

So correct me if I'm wrong, most 22ve owners are only using the one portside/starboard custom sack and not utilizing a bow sack and are liking the results?

Comment

Originally posted by TXBecca4 View Post
                    So correct me if I'm wrong, most 22ve owners are only using the one portside/starboard custom sack and not utilizing a bow sack and are liking the results?
                    A 22Ve with only rear surf side ballast suites me just fine, so there is some personal preference there.
                    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

We wakeboarded 90% of the time with our 22Ve and needed the extra bow weight - so much so that we added 400lbs of lead in addition to the integrated bow sac. It does wonders for the wakeboard wake. However, it does not effect the surf wake.

Manually filling is a great idea. It let's you move the bags around and decided how much and where you want them. It will also make you appreciate the automated system more when you get around to putting it in!!

Comment

OK, just went and looked at the boat, I'll test drive it Friday. The boat is in really good condition from what the eye can see. Less than 200 hours, no tears in the vinyl, no dings on the bottom of the boat, stearing cable just replaced in December, engine bay looked clean (although I dont know what to look for there), upgraded sound system with kicker speakers, JL audio tweeters and 4 JL audio tower speakers. As for the ballast, I found out a bit more there too. They can do 1250lbs L sack on the portside, 850lbs sack on starboard side, and two 200lbs sacks in the bow. They would be Flyhighs with Tsunami pumps for around $3k extra. How does that sound? What should I look for or do in the test drive to learn more? Thanks again everyone...

Comment

Oh and Compresion test: 185, 180, 185, 180, 180, 160, 180, 180
                          Are these good? I have no idea but the numbers for each are close except for that one 160
                          Last edited by TXBecca4; 01-28-2015, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Averages to about 22 hours per year. That seems a little low, which is not always a good thing. If they will allow, go for the single integrated bow sac, the 1400 Enzo in the port and the 1100 L-shaped sac in the starboard. See if they will throw in the x-link system to allow you to quickly switch sides from regular to goofy.

Comment

Originally posted by TXBecca4 View Post
                              Oh and Compresion test: 185, 180, 185, 180, 180, 160, 180, 180
                              Pretty good right? I have no idea but the numbers for each are close except for that one 160
                              Who took the measurements, and with what tool?

Comment

Working...
                              X