Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2010 RZ2 with no factory ballast system upgrade

Hi All,

Looking at buying a 2010 RZ2 but it doesnt have any factory ballast system currently installed. Can an aftermarket in floor system be installed (for wakesurfing) and how much would this cost? Any other options that would be good and still keep a lot of the storage space?

Thanks,
    B

If it were me I'd get at least the factory ballast already in a boat it makes for upgrading a lot easier with aftermarket bags that can be piggy backed off the existing system also all the wiring and pumps ect is already there I have no idea what it would take to add the underfloor setup but I'm willing to bet it's going to be a labor intensive and spendy project to say the least. Just my opinion
    surf till u die.

Comment

Bringel,

That boat will only fit about 250 lbs in the below floor cavity in each rear locker, which is not nearly enough to get a good wave. You will need a ballast sac above the floor as well. Id bet those factory hard tanks are available from Tige, since they are still in production. Sac wise, there are Tige sacs from Fly High that hold about 900 lbs, as well as a custom sac we have that holds about 1200 lbs. For the bow, the Fly High W711 is a good fit.
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

yup chipthrl is da man!!
        surf till u die.

Comment

Here is a write up of my ballast install. The bags in my locker drain flat so I use that storage room going to/from the lake. My goal was not to waste storage room but maximize the cost to wave ratio, and Chpthrill is the man, he helped me plan out the parts and sent me a nice complete custom kit with everything I needed.

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...2+ballast+Ewok
          2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
          2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

Definitely not worth it to install the 250 lb in floor tanks even if you can. If you can get the parts from Tige they are going to be expensive. Its also going to be a tremendous amount of work. Having worked on warranty issues in the tanks, I couldn't imagine trying to install a set in an existing boat. The cost to weight is going to be way better with just big bags. Like said above you are going to need the bags anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
              Bringel,

That boat will only fit about 250 lbs in the below floor cavity in each rear locker, which is not nearly enough to get a good wave. You will need a ballast sac above the floor as well. Id bet those factory hard tanks are available from Tige, since they are still in production. Sac wise, there are Tige sacs from Fly High that hold about 900 lbs, as well as a custom sac we have that holds about 1200 lbs. For the bow, the Fly High W711 is a good fit.
              Would you try and install the basic factory one prior to adding upgraded ballasts? or just go ahead with installing a systems with the sacs? Would eihter interface with the tige touch?

Sorry, new to figuring all this out.

Bringel

Comment

Originally posted by 18c racing View Post
                yup chipthrl is da man!!
                Yup!

Comment

I would not try to add a factory tank, go with big bags on top of the floor. I'd bet it's possible to add pump controls to the Tige touch but I don't have TT on my boat so I can't help you with hooking up the pumps to TT.
                  2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
                  2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

If almost think that since tiges have underwater transom settings in the touch screen that they would have the ballast already programmed into the screen
                    surf till u die.

Comment

It would be easy to integrate into the tige touch. The harness is in the back above taps pump on the starboard side. You could control up to 8 pumps via the tige touch(normally 4 fill 4 drain, but you could do different).

Comment

Originally posted by bringel View Post
                        Would you try and install the basic factory one prior to adding upgraded ballasts? or just go ahead with installing a systems with the sacs?

Sorry, new to figuring all this out.

Bringel
                        It would be REAL nice to have that extra 250lbs back there for sure, but im not sure if I would go with the hard tanks from Tige or do a custom fly high sac to fit the space. The sac would be much easier to get in there. I think the tanks will fit, bit its going to require removing the rear hatches and engine bay upper supports.

Would eihter interface with the tige touch?
                        I have never been in a TT tige that was built without ballast, so im not sure. But, im confident everything you need is there for the ballast control.
                        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

So I'm about to purchase a 2007 RZ2 and it doesn't have any ballasts, my main concern is what this thread is talking about. I'm getting a great deal and the boat is super clean and has such low hours it's hard to pass up. Will going with Fat Sacs in the rear lockers be enough to create a nice surf wake?

Comment

culrich77,

The stock ballast in the 07 would have only been a 250# tank on each side rear and a 400# sac in the bow. Thats not anywhere near enough to build the wave that boat has the potential to, so you would be adding a ballast sac to that anyway. In that generation RZ, its an upside that it does not have factory ballast.

Comment

Working...
                            X