Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to get a fat wake on 2008 rz2

I have a 2008 rz2 with a convex vx and custom fat sacs

can anyone tell me if there is was to create a decent wake at slow speeds. My 7 year old rides at 17 mph but at that speed the wake is all wash. We rode on a ski nautique g23 and at 17 mph the g23 was creating fat wakes without any ballasts. My son has never rode better. Now he thinks daddy's rz2 is a piece of crap because at 17 mph the wake is just white wash. Speeding up doesn't help because he is not ready to ride at 23 mph. So is there anyway to create a wake at 17 mph on a tige rz2?

What is your TAPS and ballast configuration at 17 MPH? Do mean "fat" as in cool wake or bigwake? I would think that if 17 MPH is the fastest he is comfortable riding at, he's not ready for ballast either, except a little in the bow to help clean up the wake at that slow of a speed.

*EDIT* have you double checked your speed for accuracy?
    Last edited by chpthril; 08-08-2014, 01:58 AM.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I tried no taps and no ballast at 17 mph and I can't get any kind of wake at all. All I get is white wash. It's not tall nor hard enough to jump from. I've tried filling filling the rear ballasts and I've tried filling all ballasts what i haven't tried yet is just filling the bow sacs. I will try that tomorrow. But I feel no matter what I do I can't get any kind of wake at that speed just wash.

Comment

I tried no taps
        As in 1 or 8? I would try no more than 50% bow ballast of you have factory ballast or the Fly High W711, or about 300 lb if using some other sac. Start with the TAPS about 2-4, then adjust down or up and see if there is further improvement.
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I would try zero ballast weight, people evenly distributed and taps at 1, or zero. If the wake is still washy then try moving some people into the bow, if that helps then some bow ballast might help. If it's still washy try slowly increasing the speed until it cleans up. He doesn't need a huge wake at this time, but a clean wake would be much better. If the extra speed doesn't help, try having someone move from side to side and sit on the side of the wake your young rider is, it'll help clean up that lip to get more comfortable. It should only be a few sessions at slower speeds, work him up to 19 and the wake should clean up real nice there.
          2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
          2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

One more question, is the convex vx a typo or did you get one retrofitted?

Comment

You may also need to shorten his rope, like maybe 50'. You have to play around with the speed/taps/ballast/line length combinations to get the wake dialed in for your riders preference.

Comment

Thanks. Will give it a try. Not a typo the convex vx was retrofitted onto my 08. I believe the rz2 is the only model the retrofit works with.

Comment

I used to tow my daughter at about that speed with no taps at 1 and no ballast and it would clean up. Speedometers vary though and it's extremely sensitive at that speed. I'm not sure if the VX is out of the water at that speed or not, you could use a GoPro or go for a set yourself at that speed and take a look.

Comment

Rog - How much did it cost you to get the VX Retrofitted? Who did you buy it from? My dealer said Tige told them it could not be retrofitted on my 08 RZ2...
                    "You're rather attractive for a beautiful girl with a great body."

Comment

I have a 2011 RZ2 with VX. At 17mph, I can get one side to clean up at a time by moving people, turning slightly, and adjusting the TAPS. Have people move to the side you want clean, and if necessary, make a slight turn to that side as well. I also notice that one side of the wake cleans up with TAPS all the way down (at 1), and the other side does better with TAPS at 2 or 3. I can't remember for sure right now which is which, but I think the starboard side likes the lower TAPS.

I can usually get a clean wake on both sides at about 19 to 19.5 mph.

Comment

A lot of dealers think it doesn't fit the rz2 2008 but if you call tige directly and they wil confirm that. I'm in Ontario canada got a local dealer to do it up here. It was around $6000 Canadian installed. I believe the US dealer are selling them for around $4000

Coops thanks for the info will give it a try this morning.

Comment

Coops thanks for that will try it this morning.

The retrofit was around $6000 Canadian installed. I called some US dealer and they sell them for around $4000. Most dealer think they cannot be retrofitted on an rz2. That's bad information. If you can tige directly they will confirm that rz2 is just about the only model that can be retrofitted. Keep in mind also that to see a difference with the vx you will most likely need to add more ballasts. But once it's dialled in there is no better surf wave out there.

Comment

Sorry for the double reply I thought the first one didn't get posted.

Comment

Just went out and tried every combo. The best Combo I found was taps at 0. 300 pounds filled in the right bow and a 300 pound sac filled in the Center. Still getting some wash but a little better at slow speeds.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong in general because I seem to be getting some white wash on both sides until i reach 24/25 mph. One magazine review of the 2008 rz2 said that 23 was the sweet spot but i still get mush until 24/25 and even at that speed the wake is not that big.

Comment

Working...
                              X