Another new guy asking for help...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another new guy asking for help...

Finally decided to go with an auto balllast system. Speed is going to be the biggest priority for me which is why I decided with aerator pumps. I currently fill a Fly High Enzo Sac and a Fly High Bow Sac with portable pumps. The bow sac fills in 1/4 of the time it takes the Enzo. My question is if I am running 4 1200gph tsunami pumps (2 fill/2 empty per bag), is there a way to plumb the system so that once the bow sac fills, I can have the bow fill pump continue to help fill the Enzo. It seems like a waste of a pump to have the bow bag fill in 4 minutes then shut off and wait another 10 mins to have the enzo sac fill on one pump. Same goes for draining.

I can't think of a situation where I would need to only have one of the sacs fill so if they need to be plumbed together (so both bags are essentially connected as one) that's fine.

I really need help with pump/hose configuration, check valves, anti-siphon tubes etc. to make this work. I want the system to be completely automated and don't want to have to mess with a manual selector valve. I know I can't be the first guy to want to hook it up this way so to anyone who has, I'd appreciate the help.

and don't want to have to mess with a manual selector valve
    An electric diverter (or a pair of electric valves) is going to cost more than the pump and plumbing to just outfit the Enzo with 2 dedicated fill pumps. There are some cable driven diverters.

I would do a single 1200 to fill the bow and pair of 800 GPH to drai, one in each leg. This would be a dedicated setup with the fill pump on its own thru-hull. For the Enzo, I would 2 1200 to fill, sharing a single t-hull/ball valve. Again, dedicated to the Enzo. If you wanted, then use a manual diverter after the bow sac pump, to divert its flow to the Enzo. This would give you about 2800 GPH fill rate at the Enzo.

Same goes for draining.
    Wont be happening with aerator pumps. They are not self priming, so they have to be connected directly to the water source. The bow drain sac can be used to drain Enzo. For speed, I would consider a single 1600 GPH as opposed to a pair of 1200 GPH pumps.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Thx for the help!

Comment

Do the drain pumps need to be connected directly to the sac or can they be plumbed to a different location as long as the pump is sitting lower the the bag?

Comment

The closer to the sac they are, the more efficient they will work.
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Chpthrill designed my system that sounds similar and I sourced the stuff through him (and he helped immensely through the entire process) :

You are talking to the right guy to put this thing together.

In the bow, I left one pump in the compartment coming off at 90* (should have listened to Mike about this one) and the other I drilled through that fiberglass wall and mounted the pump straight out the back.

The straight shot one drains much much better and I like the pump in the locker better too.

That glass wall/divider is stout! Tige Wall 2..... Harbor Freight Cheapo Hole saw bits 0. Both times I have finished the job but both holes that wall kicked the crap out of the hole saw.

2 fills 2 drains t800's for my bow sacs

2 T1200 Fills, 2 T800 Fills, 2 T1200 Drains 2 T800 drains for my rear sacs. (The rear I used to have two sac and filled the smaller underseat with the T800 and the big locker one with a T1200 but since I went to enzo style customs, both pumps are used).

Its pretty fast filling up the custom sacs (approx 1800 lbs).

Plus since he had 7 ports per custom bag, I have recently added a cross pump (reversible at Chpthril's recommendation) that I can't wait to try!
            Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

Thx for the help guys!

Stingreye, Do you have a build log? If not would you mind snapping a few pics of where your fill/drain pumps are mounted and plumbed? We have the same boat so it would be really helpful.

Comment

Here is a thread with most of my install:
                http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...ike-(Chpthril)

I can try to take a few more pics tonight in the bilge but my DIY skills make a Yugo look like Rolls. (old joke, how do you double the value of a Yugo? Fill up the tank with gas!). The most impressive thing about the pro's (stereo and ballast guys like Mike) and other's on this board is how clean the wiring job they do. I rushed mine and it looks like it

Its pretty crowded with the manifold and the second thru hull with a T for the 1200s. Mike did the higher level math for the thru hull sizing and manifold sizing etc. He also was trying to save me money in the process, so it might be easier to do more thru hulls and no manifold. Either way, the parameters Mike was working with was 6 bags on a budget which meant 12 pumps.

This past weekend, I finished adding a reversible cross pump (also sourced from Mike). So if you count all the pumps, 12 Tsunami pumps for ballast, 1 reversible cross pump, and 2 bilge pumps = 15 pumps.

I think I read nearly every ballast thread on here and nearly every one will have a nugget of wisdom. Every install seems to have its challenges.

Here are a few I found quickly. Duffy and XpJim did their intake on the transom, I went through the bottom so I could fill on the fly.

Duffy's 24V (monster pumps, still don't know how he fits it all in there)
                http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...d-thread/page4

XPJim's 24v
                http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...all&highlight=

WAboating's (24VE) I think the area near the gas tank v-drive will be similar and he uses the bigger Pumps Mike was talking about:
                http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...allast-writeup

Skippabcool's Ballast (22VE)
                http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...allast-Install

Plus there are likely another 10-12 really good ones. All worth a good read.
                Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

Took a couple quick pics of the fill pumps. NEVER had any air lock with the placement of these. Its crowded but I can turn the shutoffs on both intakes if needed.

20140729_224926.jpg
                  20140729_224942.jpg

I didn't take any pictures of the drain pumps but my rear pumps are similar to Skippa's.

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...-Install/page3

My bow drains are drilled through the locker wall.

With you rear drains, I have enlarged the holes the fittings come out of, you can see the holes when the bags are in anyway so it makes it much easier to connect and disconnect. I need to remove my bags any time I switch lakes to air out for mussel checks.

Good luck! Post up your progress!

Comment

Found another good 5 pump system for you to look at:
                    http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...inter-Upgrades

Comment

Thanks for all the help sting...I just started putting together my shopping list. I'll post my progress with pics once I get going.

Comment

Where did you guys mount the anti-syphon loops?

Comment

Originally posted by gkjunk757 View Post
                          Where did you guys mount the anti-syphon loops?
                          Dont need them.

Comment

It's going to be either syphon loops or check valves right? If you did use them...they have to be mounted higher than the bags right?

Comment

Wish I new I didn't need them earlier...little bastards are spendy!

Comment

Working...
                              X