Port side ballast wont stay full. 2014 Z3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Port side ballast wont stay full. 2014 Z3

At first we just noticed the port side rear ballast would not stay full. It would run to full, then we'd shut down the pump and it wouldn't keep topped off. Slowly it started to get worse as we'd go. At this point it wont even fill all the way. It gets to about 80% and that's it. We've resulted to running at all times with the pump on just to keep some water in the bags. Very frustrating... the boat only has 46 hours on it!!!!

Any ideas?

No, it's not leaking into the bilge...

If the pump can no longer fill the ballast, then there has to be a leak that exceeds the pumps capacity. Some passive draining from a full sac is not unheard of, but not that it would prevent the pump from completely filling the ballast.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

The same thing happens to us on our Z3. Going to have the dealer cross drain the bags over the off season. Sounds like many on hear have had to do the same thing. Stinks that we have to do that and isn't done from the get go out of the factory.

Comment

It usually isn't needed with stock system. And one thing to remember, if you get bigger plug and play sacs, you need to cross drain AND cross vent. Cross all rear vents and all rear drains.
        http://wake9.com/

Comment

This is something I've never heard of. I installed the port side 1400# sac & just connected it like the factory sac was. I've never had a problem with it until this past weekend. It stayed full every time prior, but I noticed it was only about half full when it was time do drain. What's causing this?

Comment

It may not happen at first, but usually the bigger sacs will leak the moment you install, they won't stay full. The problem is the bigger sacs are taller for one, and so when the boat leans over to that side they will passively drain, especially when you go over waves. When we sell our sacs we tell every buyer, and its on the page when you buy, you will have to cross vent and drain. When the drains and vents are on the opposite side, due to list when surfing, now the drains and vents are higher, so they don't passively drain.

Comment

Ragboy,

I am loving the wake9 bags for my z3 !! Fit much better than the ones I had previous.

Can you give some tips on the cross draining ? Where did you tie into for the cross drain/vent approximatley how much hose is required ?

Also is there anything I can do to speed up the fill times ? I am currently running the stock pump setup.

Thanks again for all your help with my Z3 adventure !

Travis

Comment

Alright ladies and gents -

Thank you for the feedback.
                This is the stock setup. I'm just going to pull my starboard side Tsunami pump and drop it on the other side. If that fixes the issue I'll have narrowed it down to the pump. If not....well I'll probably just go get my 50 Cal and just start blowing holes in the thing. This is issue number 10 on a brand new Tige.

Just ordered at Sumo Sack 450 to shove under the seats to compensate. A $250 patch for my $110,000 boat.

Comment

dr1v3n,
                  Where are you located ? Calgary by chance ?

Comment

@travism Sorry, traveling to texas, so late response.

The easiest thing is just to see how many thru hulls you have on the rear side. Usually the port side has 2 ports, 1 drain 1 vent. And the starboard has 3, 1 vent 1 drain and 1 bilge. Leave the bilge alone. Follow the single hose that is coming from each outside thru hulls and follow to its first connection and go from that point to the corresponding thru hull on the opposite side. I would get about 50 ft of hose to make sure you have enough, make sure you go behind everything and zip tie stuff up and away from any moving parts on the engine. You don't want those hoses to get touched by anything moving from the engine or they can get cut or burned through.

Does that make sense?

Comment

Originally posted by Travism View Post
                      dr1v3n,
                      Where are you located ? Calgary by chance ?
                      Utah :/ Why is that?

Comment

Originally posted by ragboy View Post
                        @travism Sorry, traveling to texas, so late response.

The easiest thing is just to see how many thru hulls you have on the rear side. Usually the port side has 2 ports, 1 drain 1 vent. And the starboard has 3, 1 vent 1 drain and 1 bilge. Leave the bilge alone. Follow the single hose that is coming from each outside thru hulls and follow to its first connection and go from that point to the corresponding thru hull on the opposite side. I would get about 50 ft of hose to make sure you have enough, make sure you go behind everything and zip tie stuff up and away from any moving parts on the engine. You don't want those hoses to get touched by anything moving from the engine or they can get cut or burned through.

Does that make sense?
                        THanks Ragboy !! Much appreciated as always. Can anyone recommend where to pickup the hose and barb fittings required

dr1v3n - I was just curious, I seen a new Z3 out on the lake on the weekend and the owner said he was having some ballast issues. Forgot to ask if he was on here.

Comment

I was having my sacs back drain slowly over time on my 13 Z1. The dealer install check valves @the pumps at no charge. problem solved. Love my Tige Dealer http://www.heinenmotorsports.com/tige-boats.html

Comment

Working...
                          X