Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2013 R20 with Surf Ballast System (1,600 lbs). Settings Reccomdation Please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2013 R20 with Surf Ballast System (1,600 lbs). Settings Reccomdation Please?

I have a 2013 R20 with Surf Ballast System (1,600 lbs).

No luck so far in producing a "Surfable" wave. Really frustrated.
    No desire to buy extra ballast. Need to make my R20 with the Surf Ballast system from Tige work.

If you own a R20/RZR with the Surf Ballast System (1,600 lbs) can you pleas share the specifics of how best to 'set' Ballast and TAPS and Speed for optimal wave?

Do you have the convex vx? I have a 2014 RZR and we had to add more ballast to get a"surfable" wake out of it. Same hull as you have. With the vx, it seems you have to add more weight, unless your boat is packed with people. I replaced the port side(the only side we surf on right now) with a fly high W005 sack that adds another 650lbs. in the stern. We also went with the surf ballast, expecting a massive wake, and were a little disappointed that we had to add more. I also just ordered two fly high fat bricks. Hoping to try them out this weekend. On the port side we surf at 10.6mph with the taps setting at 4. I fill the bow tanks completely and only the surf side stern tank. I haven't surfed the starboard side, but I'm told you have to speed up a little.

Comment

Don't put any weight in the off side. It proves detrimental.

Comment

Talk to chpthril on this forum. Super knowledgable, helped me and it seems a lot of others on here set their boat up.

Comment

2012 RZR with surf pkg. and no vx. We fill the front completely and surf side completely - no off side ballast. Extra people on the surf side. Port we ride at 10.8 taps 3. Starboard 11.0 taps at 3-4 depending on rider preference.

How deep is your water this will have an adverse effect if it is below 10 ft. I dont have any Port side pics because most of crew is goofy but the wave is better on that side.

photo_2[1].JPGphoto_4[1].JPG

Comment

Give us some additional details;

What is your current ballast setup?
            Convex VX?
            Speed?
            TAPS?
            Board?
            Experience level: How long have you been surfing. Have you been surfing behind other boats with ease, and just struggling with this boat?
            and yes, depth of lake. Flash brings up a huge factor thats sometimes overlooked.
            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Guys - Here is my situation:
              2013 R20 with Surf Ballast System (1,600 lbs), no Convex VX, no additional aftermarket Ballast.
              Ballast Configuration from Tige: 200 Bow Port, 200 Bow Starboard, 600 Aft Port, 600 Aft Starboard
              Board is a Liquid Force Fish 5.3
              Me: 200lbs New to Wakesurfing - but I am experienced surfing ocean waves. stance is regular
              Son: 140lbs New to Wakesurfing - No surf experience. stance is regular
              Depth: In 1000 islands area, so I can find water of any depth... 5 - 10 or 10+ foot depth
              Surf behind other boats? Neither of us has.
              Regarding what speed, TAPS, ballast fills...That is what I need guidance on.
              Thx
              Last edited by gogiants; 07-07-2014, 01:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gogiants View Post
                Guys - Here is my situation:

Ballast Configuration from Tige: 200 Bow Port, 200 Bow Starboard, 600 Aft Port, 600 Aft Starboard

Thx
                Am i reading correctly, that you are filling all the ballast to surf? If so, dump all the ballast on the opposite side rear.

Speed, I would say 10.0 - 11.0 for a beginner wake surfer. IMO, larger wave/more luch is more important than a longer pocket.
                Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

good question.
                  Right now we have been filing:

1. 200 Bow Port, 600 Aft Port and not getting a surfable wave or
                  2. 200 Bow Port, 600 Aft Port, about 200 Aft Starboard and not getting a surfable wave

Suggestions?
                  Should I be Filling the entire bow (both Port 200 and Starboard 200) plus 600 in Port Aft?

Comment

There are people with far more time in the RZR then me, so my suggestions are purely based on general setups. I would start with no off-side rear and no bow, just the 600 on the rear surf side. Find the best speed and TAPS combo. Its sometimes easier to get the wake dialed with no surfer in the pocket. So try some different setups with no one trying to surf.

Comment

I'm not a RZR or R20 guy but I would fill the bow completely. Fill your surf side rear compartment completely. Make sure your crew stays put sitting on surf side. Then adjust speed 10.5 - 11.5 at every speed setting you should adjust taps throughout its full range. Give the wave time to develop. Shouldn't take 5 minutes but you need to give each setting 30-45 seconds. You should end up somwhere around 11 mph with taps 3-5 on port and no matter what boat I've had I end up with taps closer to 8 when dialing in a starboard wave.
                      "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail" John Wooden- Rest in Peace

Comment

Lol! I'd do what Chp says! And Definitely dial in with no tider.
                        "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail" John Wooden- Rest in Peace

Comment

Hello gogiants - I was just reading your post and you said you use the boat in the thousand islands! That is where we use our r20 - I ended up buying a pre-owned 2011 r20 and we only had the stock ballast so chptrhill set me up with 2 w-005 sacks. We played around all weekend and here is what works for us. Pretty similar setup to what others are saying..but for me on the starboard side we set the taps at 2 rode at 11mph with front ballast completely full back starboard full and the extra sack full...great wave - enough for 360's! For my wife on the port side same set up but decrease the speed to 10.8 but same ballast set up! If you want to see our setup we will be back up next weekend! Nice to have another tige owner on the water in the 1000 islands!

Comment

Bow 100% on both sides. Rear surf side 100%. keep a 2:1 ratio of people on the surf side vs. other. It may help to put the heaviest person in furthest to the aft. That should be surfable on the port side with your setup, but know it can get much better with aftermarket sacs or lots of people.

Also don't expect the surfing part to come quickly and automatically, even if you have ocean experience. the difference between falling back on the wave and staying in the pocket can be a very subtle skill that comes with time, especially with only the factory ballast!

Comment

Originally posted by supremedevice View Post

Also don't expect the surfing part to come quickly and automatically, even if you have ocean experience. the difference between falling back on the wave and staying in the pocket can be a very subtle skill that comes with time, especially with only the factory ballast!
                              The wierdest part is that in the ocean the power is behind you so when you cut back you feel more power, with wakesurfing the power is closer to the boat. Its odd at first but you will pick it up.
                              Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

Working...
                              X