Talk me off the ledge!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Talk me off the ledge!

Long story short, I want to have a nice surf wake and at this moment I will settle for anything surfable. I upgraded to a 1235 prop, I've got a front bow sac, about 1200 lbs on my surf side, and surfing in 90 ft of water and the wake is poop. Holding onto the rope is not surfing to me. I have a 22ve, what can I do for a good surf wake. One of the reasons I picked this boat is a read a lot of threads on this forum about what a great surf wake it throws. Forget great, I just want something I don't have to hold a rope, that's not surfing.

Speed? TAPS? Board? Pic of Stance?

I loved my 22Ve wake with 1K plus on the surf side, little to no bow ballast, none on the off side, speed at 11 and TAPS about 4. Im 200 ans use a CWB Tsunami 4.9. Not a pro level board by any means, but not a slug. No issue with speed.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Chp, I'm going to send you an invoice so I can pay you for this counseling session. I had bow ballast 90% full. Taps at about 5-6 but didn't notice a huge difference as wifey was playing with it (that didn't sound right). I am 6' 3 and weigh 240 lbs. I have a cwb board and it looks like a miniature surfboard. I will take pics tomorrow. Speed was 12-13. I have my notepad out and willing to do anything to surf rope free.

Comment

Originally posted by Utemachine View Post
        Chp, I'm going to send you an invoice so I can pay you for this counseling session. I had bow ballast 90% full. Taps at about 5-6 but didn't notice a huge difference as wifey was playing with it (that didn't sound right). I am 6' 3 and weigh 240 lbs. I have a cwb board and it looks like a miniature surfboard. I will take pics tomorrow. Speed was 12-13. I have my notepad out and willing to do anything to surf rope free.
        Played around with my Ve wave and this is what I do. Surf side custom 1k sac about 400 off side and no front. Taps at 4 speed at 11.6. On the off side you will get wash if you have too much weight so put a little more than you should and dump weight till it cleans up. The off side weight helps with push.

Comment

Originally posted by majestic View Post
          Played around with my Ve wave and this is what I do. Surf side custom 1k sac about 400 off side and no front. Taps at 4 speed at 11.6. On the off side you will get wash if you have too much weight so put a little more than you should and dump weight till it cleans up. The off side weight helps with push.
          Thanks Majestic! I will give that a try. I had read that the front bag makes a huge difference. I'll run without it. Also, attached is my exact board.

Comment

It's a Butter Board! Neato. I have seen one of those in forever.

My buddy has a 22ve and he does almost nothing and gets a good wake. His atrocious set up, 400 in surfside corner, 10.2mph, taps 4.

I'm not saying do this but, that's all it really takes.

That board is probably a little small for you.
            You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

i would slow down, even to as slow as 10.5.
              Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I know mine is older, and a little shorter (that doesn't sound right either but probably accurate), but we surf at 10.5 with 400 in the corner, 200 amidship on the surf side and usually one person up front and get a tremendous wave that even first timers can usually go wireless. Keep adjusting and you will get it. Also, as much as possible keep the passengers on the surf side too.
                Last edited by laserfish; 07-05-2014, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Thanks Majestic! I will give that a try. I had read that the front bag makes a huge difference. I'll run without it. Also, attached is my exact board.
                  Filling the front will Make it longer but the push of the wave will go away. Speed will also make the wave longer, slowing down under 11 just makes for a short wave. You need more weight in the back to warrant adding front weight. If I put a 400 pound on the rear seat I can add bow weight but I don't like sacs on the seats.

Comment

Thanks for all the input. Here is an update. I spent some time out testing and ran no bag up front, about 3-400 on port side and maxed out starboard with probably right around 900-1000. I have two fat sacs in series which makes up the poor man's Enzo sac. My two bag take the entire back locker and under the seat, much like the Enzo. I didn't notice a huge difference between 10-12 mph and the wave looked the best with Taps at 4-5. Now to the surfing... Much better than my previous attempt. I was able the throw the rope when I was in a very small sweet spot right off the back corner. In fact after a few seconds it shot me right into the boat and onto the swim deck. I also noticed when we let the boat do a slight right turn the wake would momentarily curl.

In reading the reviews on my Butter Board, which is appears to be a museum piece, everyone says it won't surf over 9mph. How much of this is my board? Any board suggestions for me?

Comment

Thanks for all the input. Here is an update. I spent some time out testing and ran no bag up front, about 3-400 on port side and maxed out starboard with probably right around 900-1000. I have two fat sacs in series which makes up the poor man's Enzo sac. My two bag take the entire back locker and under the seat, much like the Enzo. I didn't notice a huge difference between 10-12 mph and the wave looked the best with Taps at 4-5. Now to the surfing... Much better than my previous attempt. I was able the throw the rope when I was in a very small sweet spot right off the back corner. In fact after a few seconds it shot me right into the boat and onto the swim deck. I also noticed when we let the boat do a slight right turn the wake would momentarily curl.

In reading the reviews on my Butter Board, which is appears to be a museum piece, everyone says it won't surf over 9mph. How much of this is my board? Any board suggestions for me?
                      I will be in SLC on Wednesday and many more times this year if you need me to bring a board and fix it for ya

Comment

I run full 400 in port rear. 200lbs steel blocks port side. Bow sack full along with another 400lbs up front and whoever is in the boat on the port side. Taps at 4 and speed at 10.4mph. It's usually a pretty damn big wave. I currently use a hyperlite broadcast and weigh 220lbs. It's probably not the biggest sweet spot but with pumping I can move back and fourth around pretty good.

Comment

That Butter Board is a museum piece. I rode one many, many years ago. I don't really like surf style boards so right there I wasn't into but, I seem to remember it was faster than the old 5'6" Landlock. A lot of advances have been made since then and I'm sure a new wakesurf hot rod would be much faster.

Glad to here you had some success this weekend. Hang in there. You'll get it dialed.

Comment

That Butter Board is a museum piece. I rode one many, many years ago. I don't really like surf style boards so right there I wasn't into but, I seem to remember it was faster than the old 5'6" Landlock. A lot of advances have been made since then and I'm sure a new wakesurf hot rod would be much faster.

Glad to here you had some success this weekend. Hang in there. You'll get it dialed.

Comment

Sounds like I have more tooling to do and shopping for a new board. Majestic, I'd love to have you come out. I'm in Denver this week. Hit me up on one of your next stops in slc.

Comment

Working...
                              X