Johnson ballast pump fills but refuses to empty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Johnson ballast pump fills but refuses to empty

1st day on the lake..yeah!! BUT when we tried to dump our Starboard ballast at the end of the day it was a no go.

Flipping the switch it would fill but not empty. AND the lights on the switch lit up both top/bottom.

Wires look good and voltage measured perfect in both directions....

Gotta' be an impeller right? OR is the pump a lemon? I do have one of those green impellers onboard + a spare pump. Hope it's an impeller.

any input welcome
    my midlife crisis started at puberty and I plan on enjoying it all the way to the end..

If a volt meter indicated that the switch was indeed reversing the polarity, then it has to be the impeller refusing to flip, or not enough voltage/current to generate enough torque to flip.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

yup

we have alot of goofy riders so the pumps get plenty of action. I figured this day would come. just didn't expect it on opening day. the other thing we didn't see coming was 57.5 water temp for the first day of summer. usually in the mid 60's by now in tahoe...damn cold for sure...alot of chilly shrinkage goin on plus a few bonus high beams goin' off haha

all connections are SOLID plus 2 brand new batts'

master plan is to replace all 4 impellers with greenies. I've got one greenie' already stashed in the boat so that's where I'll start

by the way cheap' the stereo is fakkin' bangin' now!!!!crew is stoked. thanks
      Last edited by MooseX; 06-22-2014, 04:09 PM.
      my midlife crisis started at puberty and I plan on enjoying it all the way to the end..

Comment

Shiiit, 57.5. I rode there a month ago.
        Attached Files
        You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

I though bears hibernated, not Moose.

I hear they closed the ramp at Kings Beach?

Comment

OK turns out I had PIAB syndrome (panties in a bunch for no reason)..

twas' a connection on the switch 'sorta' loose. A wiggle here and there and BAM! the fkr' started working....DOOOOOH!

I did change the impeller...no dif of course. Still on the master upgrade plan though but now I'm adding all new pre-wired switches from WM.com

My new front crossover has one of those and it's 'chimp simple' to hook up. Love it great idea and worth every cent

46 DEGREES Nick'....mother o' god baby jezus...haha. Break out the 6/5, 4 mil booties and hood + petroleum grease for exposed skin time..

It was an awesome day today. Stayed calm 'till almost 3 with a minimum of kook traffic (jet skis.SUP's, kayaks, crusiers and tubers'> ie everone else besides us). Water temp jumped up to a toasty 59

One negative. My new 4'10" Phase 5 'X' model has a 2" delam' on the back rail. Brand new never been in the water. Bought from 'BOARDWORKS' online.
            Last edited by MooseX; 06-23-2014, 04:43 AM.

Comment

Yup, I believe that was Memorial Weekend. Did it in trunks and a 2mil shirt. It wasn't the greatest ride. It's hard to feel the board when your feet are numb. The worst part was once you fell, the parts that aren't numb hurt from the cold. I'd have to wait for the boat to come back with my hands above the water. "Water is only cold when you're in it."

Was your P5 a factory blem or something? I've got a new skimmer you would love.

Comment

I know that cold water ache only too well. usually in october or early spring hands and feet will ache like crazy

def' a factory blem on both sides of the tail end of the board. Plus the de lam which is pretty bad.

just sent BoardCo. the pics and waiting for a response

Comment

Working...
                X