Ballast Install --Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ballast Install --Help

Trying to install 2 new relays to support the new pumps to be added for MLA Bags. Adding the relay for fill seemed to have gone off without a hitch. However adding the relay for the drain is not going smoothly.
    I have a 5-pin relay:
    85-86 : these were wired to Touch Panel and then ground lug under dash.
    30: Was wired to POS lug in touch Panel
    87a: I taped off.
    87: Was attached to the existing wires that was connected to the touch panel. In my case the drain wire is actually 2 wires connected by a diode.
    TouchPanel -->Ballast Pump
    .................^-->Diode-->Manual Empty Switch

Pretty much right off the bat the fuse in the touch panel blew. I believe this actually occurred when I manually activated all bilge pumps. The fuse in touch panel was 5 Amps. I have a 10 amp fuse on POS lug which never blew. I replaced the fuse and removed the wire connecting diode to the Manual switch. Trying the touch panel again the drain pump does not appear to be running. I checked voltage on the touch panel and it show 12v, 87 also shows 12v.

So I went ahead and attempted to put the drain wires back the way they were. I basically created a jumper wire between touch panel and ballast Pump/Diode. I went ahead and poured a bunch of water into the drain outlet on the outside of the boat. Trying the touch Panel again, no water came out so I am pretty sure it wasn't working. When I used the manual switch, I noticed a smell coming from under the dash. Upon further investigation I notice that the Diode was extremely hot. I assumed that was the source of the smell??

Anyway, So what the hell did I do??? Did I blow the ballast pump motor? Is there a way to test/access the motor without having to pull up the floor?

Any suggestions on things to try?

Trent

Trent,

Email me a pic labeling exactly where you connected first.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Working...
    X