Ballast install pricing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ballast install pricing

I am not qualified to do my own install. I have all the parts for a three bag system from wakemakers. What is a reasonable price range for the install labor? I just want to make sure I am getting a reasonable deal.
    2004 Tige 22v Riders Edition
    www.tgrstudios.com

Do you have any kind of factory ballast to deal with? Shop rates vary, depends if you're getting it done at car toys or an actual marine service center such as a dealer. You'll likely see rates from 50/hr to 150/hr but you'll want to have some good vibes about the competency of the installer. Ask about how many systems they've done, what brands of boats they are familiar with, maybe see some pictures of customer installs. And remember, even if someone charges more per hour, they likely know what they are doing and will get the job done right and in less time. You don't want to waste time and money for a new guy to practice on your boat.

Now, there are other variables, aerator or ballast puppy system? Lots more hose to run in an aerator system. It took me 2 weekends, 4 full days to put my system in myself. I did a lot of learning and I could probably do it again in 1/2 the time. Depending on the complexity and location of the tru hulls I'd say it would take an experienced guy 1 day. Just a rough wag. A new guy audio installer type maybe 2-3 days, but do you trust some guy from Car Toys to cut a hole in the bottom of your boat?
    2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
    2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

There are a lot of hoses to install including proper venting, check valves and don't forget that you may need to upgrade your electrical distribution system depending on what kind of pumps you are running (aerator vs. reversible).

I had a new Blue Seas distribution panel installed and wired for just the ballast system. I can turn on multiple reversibles at the same time without an issue.

As Ewok said, you definitely want someone with experience with installing ballast systems.
      Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head... Eric

Comment

wakemakers.com and youtube have videos of installs and there are several install threads on here that make the installation process easy. If you can run a cordless drill a tape measure and be able to do simple wiring its an easy 2 day job. If your not willing to do the work I would say you could easily pay 1-2K for install. I know a dealer I spoke to awhile back said they charge around 4k for a 3 bag system wired and parts included in that as it takes them a couple days to do.

Here is a link to my install if it helps: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...allast+install

Comment

I agree that installing a new ballast system can be a DIY project, but the OP starts off stating "I am not qualified to do my own install"

It is a great way to learn about your boat and after drilling your first hole, the rest are no problem!
          Sent by the random thoughts from the voices in my head... Eric

Comment

Most qualified dealers are going to be in that $100/ hour range. Like said above it can take a lot of time. I'd guess a thousand plus.

Comment

If you can run a boat, you can install the system. Mine took about 80 hours, but I put in 8 pumps, 4 sacks, 9 holes in the hull, moved the batteries to the middle of the boat behind the motor, and a bunch more stuff. If you review this forum well for the tips and install pointers, you will do a better job than a lot of installers out there. Shop rates are at least 50 an hour. For me, after spending 4k on my parts, I wasn't about to spend as much putting it all in. Good luck
              2007 RZ2 Marine power 340hp Custom ballast
              Tundra Crewmax 5.7L

Comment

Originally posted by bigskymudflaps View Post
                If you can run a boat, you can install the system. Mine took about 80 hours, but I put in 8 pumps, 4 sacks, 9 holes in the hull, moved the batteries to the middle of the boat behind the motor, and a bunch more stuff. If you review this forum well for the tips and install pointers, you will do a better job than a lot of installers out there. Shop rates are at least 50 an hour. For me, after spending 4k on my parts, I wasn't about to spend as much putting it all in. Good luck
                Good gravy! That is one mamma jamma sytem.

I installed my own too. Probably 20 hours. Not nearly that many pumps! I would be frightened to have any random shop do it--unless you live right next to Wakemakers or Chpthril. Just opening the checkbook to a shop for hourly could get ugly..?
                Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like bananas!

Comment

If you know how to hook anything up electrically the only other scary part is drilling the holes in your boat. Honestly, after that it's not that hard of a process it does just take some time. With the countless threads and resources like chpthril or wakemakers you could probably do it. If there is others around your area you may be able to ask them for help. It does ultimately come down to if you are the DIY'er or not. I'm drilling holes in my boat this weekend so I can run my trunk sacs independently from my hard tanks in preparation for custom sacs.

Comment

Just prep yourself a head of time by planning it out like this and figuring out what you may need. This is an older version of what I have been planning.
                    Attached Files

Comment

When I did some ballast work on my previous boat, I had the dealer install the new Thru Hull fittings for me. I just could not trust myself to drill holes in a boat less than a year old, especially below the water line. Then to assure I had a buddy that does car stereo do the necessary electrical upgrades. From there, I was able to run all the electrical and hook it up and install the sacs/fittings and run the hoses. This may be a good "meet in the middle" option for you. Pay to have the crucial/technical stuff done and then do the rest yourself. As mentioned above, you will learn a lot about your boat by doing some of the work and crawling around in the boat.

As far as running electrical, wiring to the pumps and running the ballast hoses there are a bunch of great threads already on the forum and you can always start another and post pictures with your questions. The members on here seem to primarily be all around good people that are passionate about boats and watersports and wish to share there passion and knowledge and of course opinions to others.
                      "I think I am pretty smart for an idiot"

Comment

Unfortunately no one has really had a good answer for the OP original question because it is so difficult to know. Everyone has different labor rates, experience levels, etc. There is really no way to decide if something is fair if its a time + materials project, as the time factor is completely unknowable.

I would possibly do everything you can, then hire someone to finish the dicey stuff to save on the unknown labor?

Or, tell us what you were quoted and based on my experiences, I would be happy to offer an opinion on whether or not that would be worth it to me. There is definitely a sum of money out there that I would have not DIY'd mine for! I do have lots of other things to spend time on....

If you've got a quote and want to share, happy to offer my humble opinion.

Spring is a poppin, time to get that baby plumbed in!
                        Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like bananas!

Comment

Working...
                        X