2009 RZ2 floor reinforcing for 1100lb sacs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2009 RZ2 floor reinforcing for 1100lb sacs

I am adding some 1100lb fly high sacs on top of my under floor tanks. The floor in the rear compartment has a max load capacity of 80lbs per the warning tag and after stepping into the compartment I believe that rating. I have temporarily cut some 3/4 plywood to span from the stringer to the outer ledge and just set it on top of the floor.

How have you guys reinforced the floor for these heavy sacs?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

interested in other responses. I have not done anything to mine yet. I'm running the chpthrl enzo style sack on the pass side but nothing on the drivers yet.
    2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
    2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

I run 1100 custom sacks in our 2009 RZ2 with no reinforcement of the rear compartment floor. I have detected no damage over many seasons.

Bear in mind, when you step down, all of your weight is focused on a relatively small footprint. This is not the case for a sack, which would evenly distribute water.

Comment

I also run an 1100 sac over that floor and haven't had any issues, yet. I know it's a matter of time before it breaks and that will be my motivation to pull it and use a big sac in that space. It's a hard plastic tank so it's only a matter of time before it fails. I also try to make sure it's full of water before adding big weight to it.
        2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
        2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

I think that that weight limit is more to do with when the tank is empty. If your sacs are on top of the tank but the tank is always full when your sack fills up, you should be fine. We have been running large sacks like that on top of the tanks for years without extra reinforcement. Keep in mind that our system always fills up the hard tanks on the bottom first, then the sacks above in a piggy back fashion. So as long as yours works like that, which is factory, then you should be good.
          http://wake9.com/

Comment

I spoke with Tige regarding this same issue. Response: fill the hard tank first and then fill the sac. The water volume in the hard tanks keeps it from collapsing when extra weight is put on it.

Comment

X5…everyone runs them with no extra reinforcement. Heck they sell them with a 350 pound sac installed…thats a lot more than 80 lbs!!

Comment

Actually, the tank will not support any more weight filled as it can empty.

Take a can of unopened soda and try to squeeze it.....no go, right? No open it and squeeze it.....yep, it collapsed, right! Well those hard tanks are vented freely through the vent line and the drain pump, so they will not hold any pressure inside.

That 80 lb limit is about standing in the center of the floor. That panel could break and the tank will not support you. A ballast sac is distributed across the entire surface.
                Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Good point Chpthril! I never thought about it like that. I always made sure my hard tank was full before filling and reversed the operation after a surf session. Now that you put it like that, I wont be so anal about the order of operation.

Comment

Thanks guys! I did go ahead and add some 3/4" aluminum square tubing to the inside of the engine panels to stiffen them up. They are real stout now!

I will not worry about it and move on then...

Thanks again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Comment

Working...
                    X