2010 z1 ballast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2010 z1 ballast

We have a new to us 2010 z1 with surf ballast, was wondering the best set up for surfing with this system, we tried a lot of different things & didn't have a very good wave
    Attached Files

What do you have for Ballast?
    In my 08 Z1 I pulled the above floor hard tanks in the rear lockers and added the following :
    1250# Enzo bags in the Surf side rear locker.
    400# Bag in Bow
    Run speed 10.5mph - 11.5 mph. You will end up closer to the 11.5 mph on the port side and to the 10.5 mph on the starboard side
    Run Taps about 3-4 when surfing the Port side and 4-5 when surfing the Starboard side
    Adjust peeps to whichever side you are surfing. Put some peeps in the bow to lengthen wake. After it is dialed in Do not let them move around...... that is easily said but hard to accomplish with my crew...... especially difficult when I was the one surfing....
    These are just guidelines I would start there and then just play around with it but I had a very surfable wake using that setup.
    With that set up your rubrail will be just touching the water while at surf speed.
    "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail" John Wooden- Rest in Peace

Comment

And Congrats on your Z1! it is a Sweet looking Zee!

Comment

100_0377.jpg
        Rear locker hatch in perfect surf position

Comment

How much weight do you currently have? We really need to know what you have now to suggest things to make it better.

Comment

it has the tige surf ballast which i think is 600 each side in rear & 400 in front

Comment

Originally posted by kiwia View Post
              it has the tige surf ballast which i think is 600 each side in rear & 400 in front
              You are going to have to double that in the rear. That's as much as you can get hidden in the front without adding lead.

Comment

Do what Iwndr outlined. You don't have to pull the hard tanks though if you don't want. I didn't pull mine but just put a 1100 sac on top. One other thing I would strongly encourage is a flap or fixed wave plate to help with the spray since the Z1s are pretty notorious for a big spray/wash.

Comment

Jmoore & Iwndr: did you have an lip in the middle of the wave? I tried some different weight/speed/taps settings recommended by ragboy in a previous post and I still can't shake the inner lip. I got my list to 8 degree from previously about 5 and it didn't seem to diminish this lip. I am running 1,000 in the rear locker and 750 in the bow. Speed 11 and taps around 3-4. I can get the splash out by adjusting speed/taps/weight but not the spine in the middle of the wave. Just wondering if I need more list. I've found anymore weight in the rear requires more bow weight otherwise the wave is short n tall or there is a ton of splash.

Comment

It seems anymore weight than the 250 in the rear locker will create the "spine/inner lip". Over the weekend I ran 250 rear port, 300 under port seat, 750 in the bow, and 3 kids (70-100lbs) sitting port side. The wave was clean and long, but not very tall (about knee high) or much push. Speed around 10.8 taps at 4.5. Taps any higher created wash/spray. I am going to experiment with jmoore's flap suggestion. Doesn't sound like it will diminish the lip, but will reduce the spray, possibly allowing for higher taps setting and a shorter steeper wave.

Comment

Working...
                    X