Tige used superglue on the ballast pump threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tige used superglue on the ballast pump threads

Last year when I did some ballast mods, I noticed that Tige used superglue on the fill pump threads, gluing them to the plastic valves on the thru-hulls. I was replacing the pumps anyway, so I just took off the whole assembly (pump + valve), and installed a new bronze valve onto the thru-hull. Then I noticed that Tige also used superglue on the front drain pumps. They superglued the pumps threads where it screws into the bag. Anyone have the same scenario....and anyone have any suggestions for how to get the pump out of the bag? I haven't thought about it in a while, but now I want to change the pumps, or at least have a plan for if/when the existing pumps fail (or the pump housing breaks)....
    2013 Z3 - Electric blue and black

I have been told heating will break the bond, using a heat gun. I'm guessing you have to be careful how much heat you apply. I'm guessing the bond between the rubber band and the plastic isn't that strong. Where the plastic to plastic on the pump to the intake valve is probably much stronger. C

Comment

Are you sure it's super glue and not rubber cement or 3M 4200 or 5200? I think I've seen a superglue solvent at Home Depot but I'm not 100% sure. There was not any super glue or any glue on my ballast from tige but I could see them using some type of plumbers putty or dope if there was a cross threaded pump or something.
      2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
      2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

Definitely not 4200 or similar as that looks like caulking and rubber cement is thick relative to what I'm seeing. The stuff on mine looks like superglue, if that makes sense...hard, clear, and thin. It's on all 4 fill pumps and the front drain pumps, and I'm assuming on the hard tank drain pumps.

Comment

I believe YOU but I can't believe someone at Tige would use superglue on those parts. Is it in the threads or just on the outside lip of the connections? I would try heat and a solvent and be very patient and don't heat up those bags. A hear fun can go through that stuff pretty quick if you aren't careful.
          2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
          2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

what! Why would anyone do that! how the hell would you service that?!

Comment

Well, if it is indeed super glue, I would bet money it just did not happen on one boat.
              "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail" John Wooden- Rest in Peace

Comment

"hard, clear, and thin" sounds like PVC adhesive, the stuff you swab on with the cotton ball to join white PVC pipe. It's for slip fittings, not threaded.

And no, I too can't imagine anyone using that on ballast components. But since someone apparently did, I'd be much more inclined to think the DEALER did it than Tige themselves. Perhaps the dealer has had service issues with the ballast and this is their way of reducing customer complaints about leaks?!?

Comment

Most manufacturers that use bags glue their fitting in with PVC or rubber cement. If thats what it is then thats pretty normal. If it is indeed super glue i have never heard of that.

Comment

Originally posted by WABoating View Post
                    "hard, clear, and thin" sounds like PVC adhesive, the stuff you swab on with the cotton ball to join white PVC pipe. It's for slip fittings, not threaded.

And no, I too can't imagine anyone using that on ballast components. But since someone apparently did, I'd be much more inclined to think the DEALER did it than Tige themselves. Perhaps the dealer has had service issues with the ballast and this is their way of reducing customer complaints about leaks?!?
                    Dealer has had multiple 2013 boats with this adhesive on the pump threads. The issue is how to get them de-bonded if you need (or want) to.

Comment

Have you talked to Lance up there and see if they have figured out any tricks to get them apart. They must have had to replace some pumps I'd think.

Comment

Originally posted by boardman74 View Post
                        Have you talked to Lance up there and see if they have figured out any tricks to get them apart. They must have had to replace some pumps I'd think.
                        Yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm ridiculously happy with Heinen's service and I know they'd figure it out if I ever had an issue. My post here was just to see if anyone had experience with this on the forum as I try to do some work myself if possible. I'll see if they've come up with an easy way to do it. When I talked to Brian last year, he would first try heat and muscle, and had about a 50% success rate. Otherwise he'd cut them off.

Comment

Fly High actually recommends using a PVC cement on their threaded sac fittings.
                          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                            Fly High actually recommends using a PVC cement on their threaded sac fittings.
                            I remember when you first told me that. Still seems a bit permanent to me. I'm constantly fiddling around with how my system is plumbed, trying different things, and adhesive seems like it would be trouble for me.

Comment

iirc, supra has the same issues when swapping bags and needing to remove the old fittings. heat was the answer when used in small doses
                              2012 22ve.. RIP 4/17
                              2014 Z3.. Surf away

Comment

Working...
                              X