07 22ve ballast install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

07 22ve ballast install

I am in in the final stretch of my ballast install on my 07 22ve and thought I would share some pics. The install process was not as bad as I had anticipated but have spent at least 15-20 hrs on the install, but am glad I'm almost done. I have had a few set backs, including taking a rocker switch apart to try and get a better template of it, at which time 1 of the 4 springs in it flew into the air and disappeared. So beware if you take them apart there are extremely tiny springs in these things! Also have decided to change out the vent thru holes from plastic to stainless steel as I was tightening the first one and it broke and pulled thru the side. I didn't have a lot of pressure on it so being afraid of one breaking while on the water have chosen to order stainless ones.

I owe a lot of Thanks to michael at Mikesliquidaudio.com or member chpthril on here as he has been a great help in getting me the parts needed and has answered numerous questions before and during my install.

Here are all the parts after delivery waiting to install.
    IMG_1233.jpg

I had to move my 3rd battery that I installed for stereo from the locker to the battery compartment first off
    IMG_1236.jpg

Bottom thru holes mocked up in place before tracing and placing a magnet to find on bottom before drilling
    IMG_1237.jpg

I looked at several places to install the pumps and finally decided on the back port side behind the locker in the bilge area. They are just laying in there for now and haven't cut or drilled anything at this point.
    IMG_1238.jpg

Bottom of boat holes are marked as you can see my magnet on the inside slid down so that is why I have a couple of marks. I am glad I measured 3 or 4 times before drilling. A second pair of hands would've helped and reduced the extra measuring.
    IMG_1239.jpg

Here is another with the raw water pump in background as a reference. I had to put them close to the bottom of the V to prevent them from interfering with the raw water or the speed sensor.
    IMG_1240.jpg

Starboard side marked and ready for drilling
    IMG_1241.jpg

IMG_1247.jpg

IMG_1248.jpg

Bottom Thru holes drilled with a 1-3/8 in hole saw bit
    IMG_1249.jpg

IMG_1251.jpg

IMG_1254.jpg

Comment

Side vents also drilled with a 1-3/8 in hole saw
      IMG_1256.jpg

IMG_1257.jpg

Starboard side locker with bag, I drilled a 1-1/2" hole in the bottom of the back locker battery separation panel for the bottom bag inlet.
      IMG_1258.jpg

Now that the holes are drilled i moved onto the electrical part of the install. Here are the switches marked for cutting on the dash. I cut the first one with my dremel using a drill bit type cutter bit and it made a horrible cut so switched to a rotary disc to cut the other two.
      IMG_1264.jpg

Breaker box pulled down for easier access to install 3- 30amp fuses for pumps
      IMG_1265.jpg

Back of panel with fuses installed they are the 3 white ones on bottom of box
      IMG_1266.jpg

Fuses now wired
      IMG_1267.jpg

Front of panel with fuses installed. One thing i didn't like with the placement is the fuses "30" label are sideways, but not a lot of option with the small panel and it sit way up under helm so won't see in anyway.
      IMG_1269.jpg

Comment

Rocker switches installed just waiting on the 3rd switch to arrive and I ordered the Left,Right,Front switch covers from wakemakers to replace the ones that are on there now.
        IMG_1270.jpg

IMG_1273.jpg

IMG_1274.jpg

Pumps wired in and mounted all plumbing ran at this time just waiting on the last switch and the stainless vent thru holes and this project will be complete. I did a test run in the garage today using my water attachment and everything seems to work properly so will hope to get out and lake test within next couple weeks and will post more pics then. I am also adding a second bilge pump behind the fuel tank and in front of the bottom thru holes as precautionary. It seems that the center and front of these Ve boats hold the majority of water and the rear factory bilge never gets used as it is the highest part on these boats.
        IMG_1275.jpg
        Last edited by JLG; 03-31-2014, 01:02 AM.

Comment

taking a rocker switch apart to try and get a better template of it, at which time 1 of the 4 springs in it flew into the air and disappeared. So beware if you take them apart there are extremely tiny springs in these things
          Sorry to hear. I do not recommend disassembling the switches. For a template, they require a .75" x 1.5" rectangle cutout. The actuators pop off easy, but need a little care in doing so.

Im also sorry to hear that a thru-hull broke. Please send them all back, and anything else you dont use, and I will give you full refund, including the broken thru-hull and switch with missing spring.

I have both stainless and chrome thru-hulls, and would have been happy exchange those for you.
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

No worries mike you did excellent in all aspects of my build so no need to return them. The thru hole vents didn't cost that much anyway so will keep them around, and the switch was me being an idiot and yes they need to be handled very delicately when disassembling. I placed an order for the stainless vents and switch already and should be here tomorrow. Again you have been great to deal with and I highly recommend you to anyone needing ballast setups, lights, stereo equipment etc, hell you probably even sell mail order brides LOL

I also wanna thank skippa for posting his install as I referenced it throughout the build.

Comment

mike do you or anyone else on here know of or have installed a second bilge pump with a separate float, if so what is the wiring schematic and is it possible to tag off of the factory bilge back at the rear transom or will I need to run a separate switch etc? I bought a johnson bilge pump with the added but not attached float and the wiring diagram with it only shows it for a johnson type switch which i don't wanna purchase as I'd like to tag right into the other bilge system. I'm guessing I might have to upgrade my fuse though? The bilge pump itself is easy to install i'm just having issues figuring out the float part wiring. any insight on this would be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by JLG View Post
                mike do you or anyone else on here know of or have installed a second bilge pump with a separate float, if so what is the wiring schematic and is it possible to tag off of the factory bilge back at the rear transom or will I need to run a separate switch etc? I bought a johnson bilge pump with the added but not attached float and the wiring diagram with it only shows it for a johnson type switch which i don't wanna purchase as I'd like to tag right into the other bilge system. I'm guessing I might have to upgrade my fuse though? The bilge pump itself is easy to install i'm just having issues figuring out the float part wiring. any insight on this would be appreciated.
                I need to dig up the pics, but I installed a 2nd bilge (internal float) in a 22Ve a couple years ago. Y'd the outlet into the existing, wired the pumps auto B+ to the battery and the switched wire to the manual switch on the dash. Both pumps will run at the same time if the manual switch is used or if either senses water.

With an external float, the schematic is a bit different then that of a 3-wire pump with internal float. let me work out the schematic for you tomorrow.

The helm switch os probably protected by a breaker, probably a 10A. What size bilge did you get?
                Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Looks great so far!! Nice job!

Comment

I'm assuming your boat didn't have any factory ballast? And what size bags did you use? I'll be doing some modifying to my RZ2 factory ballast once i finally get it so i'm trying to get a many ideas as i can.

Comment

Looks good. As long as there is water you should have a great summer boating!

Comment

Mike I never thought about that being a problem with it not being an internal float. I got the 1000 gallon per hour float. If I need I will return it and get one with an internal it's just that I have never had good luck with them holding up for very long. My helm and rear battery fuse are 3 Amp for my current one and the new Johnson requires a five amp fuse.

Comment

Retox I used the 1100 pound bags in the rear lockers and the V sack n the front. I know Mike and several others sell the custom sacs but I figured I would start here for now and could always sell and trade up later for the more expensive larger ones. And no my boat did not have factory Ballast. I opted to use the reversible pumps also as I did not want the extra pumps and plumbing n my bilge area

Comment

Great pics and clean ballast install! I think I am a ballast install thread junky. I love seeing the threads of guys drilling their boats!

I am impressed you fit all three batteries behind that wall! Can't wait to see some surf pics.
                            Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

Great looking installation.

Comment

Working...
                              X