2003 22V Ballast Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2003 22V Ballast Installation

I bought this beauty in February and it didn't have a ballast setup. I thought about just filling fat sacs every time with a Tsunami pump, but since I live on a lake it would be a lot of filling and draining and I really didn't want to sit around for 30 minutes every time I fill them. I read many threads on this site about other installs and it seemed pretty easy once you get past the drilling holes part. Since I had plenty of time before boating season I decided to install it myself.
    boat1.JPG

Hardware for install.
    Fly High Tige 59" Custom Starboard Surf Sac
    Fly High Tige 84" Custom Port Surf Sac
    Fly High Pro X Series Integrated Bow Sac
    (3) Johnson Ultra Ballast Reversible Pumps
    Hose, clamps, vents, thru-hulls, check valves, etc...

Comment

FYI -
      Fly High Tige sacs fit really well in the lockers but looking back I probably could have achieved the same results with a jumbo V drive sac for 1/2 or 1/3 the price. The Tige sacs go nice under the seat, but do leave some extra room in the front of the locker which the jumbo sacs could fill better.

Comment

I opened the port side battery compartment and it was a mess of wire from additional amps and all the boat stuff. I decided to clean that up a bit and add another battery which also added about 60 more lbs. The safetyhub 150 is really nice and fit perfect in the compartment.
        Port Locker.JPG
        Last edited by tigebeach; 08-08-2013, 05:46 AM.

Comment

Didnt want to run elctrical for pumps to port side so I put another safetyhub 150 in the starboard side. Going to install lights in the future so it will be nice to have plenty fuse spots to use.
          Star Locker.JPG

Comment

Some factory rocker switches on the dash were not in use so I pulled them out and put my ballast rocker switches in.
            dash.JPG

Comment

Ran electrical from rocker switches on dash down the side of the boat to the starboard battery locker to connect to the safetyhub. Had to branch off electrical behind seats to get power to the 3 pumps. Measured first, but did all of the elctrical outside the boat in wire loom (tip from Duffy) which worked really well.
              IMG_1406.jpg
              Electrical.JPG
              Electrical Star Locker.JPG

Comment

I used these solder and seal heat shrink butt connectors for all of the electrical. It is really nice but a lot of extra work unless you have someone to help you. Hard to hold the wires, butt connectors and heat gun by yourself.
                Splice.JPG

Comment

Looking good. It takes a lot of effort to clean wiring up but once cleaned up with the additional fuse blocks, its nice knowing its done right. Plus a lot easier to add to it later on.

Comment

Nice Boat man - I would like to install a system in mine as well. Manually filling sucks....

Comment

Nice install! Happy riding!

Comment

Very Nice Work and Beautiful Boat you have there!
                        "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail" John Wooden- Rest in Peace

Comment

Thanks guys,

Mounting the pumps was pretty easy. Cut some wood to fit behind the seat and bolted it in. Had to be careful not to block the seat mount bolts and the pylon bracket. Pulled it off, sealed it, put it back in and mounted the pumps. At first I had all three pumps mounted on the board, but it was really an issue with bending all of the hose so I moved a pump to the side wall.
                          Pump Mount.JPG
                          Pumps Mounted.JPG

Comment

If anyone is worried about drilling holes in their boat like I was, this is actually the easiest part. Hole saw with a center bit is the best. Drill a pilot hole with center bit, reverse through the gel coat with hole saw, forward through the fiberglass with hole saw. It is like drilling in butter the fiberglass is so soft. You could actually drill all the holes in reverse if your worried about chipping the gel coat, it would only take an extra 15 seconds. Dont worry about the carpet, you can cut it out with a razor blade if the hole saw doesn't get it smooth.

There are probably fifty other holes in the boat that were all drilled, whats nine more. I think I was an expert after the first hole. Good sealant 3M Fast Cure 4000 UV.
                            3M Fast Cure 4000 UV.JPG
                            Last edited by tigebeach; 08-09-2013, 05:47 AM.

Comment

Port Side Vent, Starboard Drain
                              Port Vent.JPG
                              Last edited by tigebeach; 08-09-2013, 05:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X