need help to cross vent and drain my 2013 z1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JohnnieMo View Post
    I think cross-venting will be the next mod to my boat. I'm still running stock pro ballast, but the fill times seem to be far too short. Further, the passive draining is quite noticeable at list.

My Z1 is a July 2013 delivery, so it sounds like I have the upgraded pumps and larger diameter fill lines.

I'm not sure if this is apples to apples, but my fill times are about 2:30 for the front bags and 5:30 for the rear bags. Maybe these are high flow pumps, but it sure seems like these bags are not getting to capacity. Can anyone comment on their fill times?
    Hmmm stock pro lists it as 400 lb sacs up front and 600 lbs in the rear. Is the rear a hard tank + a bag on top piggy back with the overflow going into the bag?

My simple math says 400/600 = 2/3 if you take the 2/3*5.5min = 3min 40 sec approx

It would not surprise me if its a piggy back system with an aerator the extra head pressure to fill a piggy backed sac, it would take longer. Meaning the 2:30 for front vs 5:30 for rears doesn't sound unreasonable.

You can see what the speed drops are based on verticle pumping height here:
    http://www.attwoodmarine.com/userfil...rator_spec.pdf

I have been tempted to take a 5 gallon bucket with me on the water to measure how much water is really in my sacs (have the drain pumps fill the bucket and count the buckets).
    Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

I really don't think 2:30 is enough time to fill a 400lb bag. I have a tsunami pump and an old 750 sack that takes far more time. So either the pumps are really high flow, or my bags are partly empty.

Before I go upgrading to aftermarket sacs, I'd prefer to know that I'm getting the most out of what I already have.

And yes, the rear is a 250lb hard tank with a 350lb bag on top. Front is two 400lb bags. They are hard to see though. I have to take out some baffles first. All in time.

Comment

I really don't think 2:30 is enough time to fill a 400lb bag. I have a tsunami pump and an old 750 sack that takes far more time. So either the pumps are really high flow, or my bags are partly empty.

Before I go upgrading to aftermarket sacs, I'd prefer to know that I'm getting the most out of what I already have.

And yes, the rear is a 250lb hard tank with a 350lb bag on top. Front is two 400lb bags. They are hard to see though. I have to take out some baffles first. All in time.
        I stand corrected. You are right:

One of my favorite ballast threads:
        http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/show...low-Comparison

400 lb sac took between 4-5.5 min with a variety of common pumps. You would be lucky to fill in in 4 minutes let alone 2:30.
        Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

Remember the bow U-shaped sac uses two fill pumps, at least mine does, so it always fills first even when I had my basic ballast system.
          2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
          2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

My boat has two 400lbs bags and 2 pumps serving them. Well Tige calls them 400lbs. I'd be curious to do the volume measurement. Is it 400lbs sitting on the floor of my garage, or 400lbs after being stuffed up under the front seats of a Z1.

I bet my bags are holding half the water they are advertised to.

Comment

Johnnie,

My RZ2 with the same ballast setup has near identical timing to yours - 2:15-2:30 for each front and 5:15-5:30 for each rear. I have the baffles out, and can tell you that my fronts are as full as they're going to get. That said, I doubt they are 400#'s full as I'm sure they run out of room before that point. Do yours pop up your bow cup holders?

-Tulsah
              2013 RZ2 with Convex VX, MLA Custom Sacs

Comment

My boat has two 400lbs bags and 2 pumps serving them. Well Tige calls them 400lbs. I'd be curious to do the volume measurement. Is it 400lbs sitting on the floor of my garage, or 400lbs after being stuffed up under the front seats of a Z1.

I bet my bags are holding half the water they are advertised to.
                My guess is they are all twisted in there , like mine have !!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tulsah View Post
                  Johnnie,

My RZ2 with the same ballast setup has near identical timing to yours - 2:15-2:30 for each front and 5:15-5:30 for each rear. I have the baffles out, and can tell you that my fronts are as full as they're going to get. That said, I doubt they are 400#'s full as I'm sure they run out of room before that point. Do yours pop up your bow cup holders?

-Tulsah
                  Z1's have a fairly generous area underneath the bow and unlikely it would pop anything up 😀

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Comment

There aren't cup holders in the floor like the RZ boats. The cup holders are integrated into the sides.

The rear bags get full but don't stay full. And to call them full is a stretch. The bag leaves a lot of empty space in that compartment. I see wake9 bags in my future.

I will have to find a day to take it all apart on the water and take a look. One thing I will say is that the bow sits pretty low in the water when the bags are full, so I know there is a good amount of water in there.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

Comment

After half an hour I finally found this thread again!!! Hooray.

So I've been pulling my Z1 apart now that: I have it tucked away in the garage. I pulled out all the baffles and looked up under the front seats.

First thought is "why didn't Tigé use hard tanks???". This is such an oddball shape and the the whole front seat is 'floating' with no support. With hard tanks you could use them as structural support and they would fill the space safely..

My bags don't sit very well in the space provided. The port and starboard bags are overlapping a lot.

My first impression is that there is NO WAY 800lbs of water is getting in there. There just isn't enough space. I'll run the numbers but I can't see it. Further my 2:30 fill times all but confirm it. I think this is simply false advertising and not anything nefarious. They put all the ballast they can in there but the boat can't achieve the numbers they declare. I think a single bag would actually fill more completely than dual bags. And once you get big rear sacs, when do you ever need to fill the front sides independently???

So my plan is to pull out these bags and try some tests. It's sort of hard to do in the garage but I could possibly test then inside the boat. (step one is getting the trailer shimmed or I'll break the rinky dink wheel jack.

My fear is that if I pull out the bags I'll never get them back in. Anyone have experience with this?

I also have Wake9 bags for the rear, so that is pending too. Just need to find somewhere in Canada to buy those check valves.

Z1fan - do you have any pics on what your twisted sacs looked like?

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk
                      Last edited by JohnnieMo; 11-25-2014, 01:46 AM.

Comment

To my surprise I pulled out the front sacs tonight and found it that they already had check valves in the fill lines!

I pulled the port bag right out and took a look at it. It looks way too big. I'd say Tigé is using the same bag in the Z1 as the Z3. It just doesn't get near as full.

How do you guys disconnect these and dry them out? I don't really want to cut all the heat shrink and undo the clamps but I see no other way

Sent from my Passport

Comment

How do you guys disconnect these and dry them out? I don't really want to cut all the heat shrink and undo the clamps but I see no other way
                          Theres know other way, but to separate at the hose and barbed fitting.
                          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Working...
                          X