RZR Bow Sac Profile and Weight Placement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RZR Bow Sac Profile and Weight Placement

I noticed this past weekend that the factory 'Surf L' and 'Surf R' profiles show 100% ballast in the bow but it shows it per side. For example, if you set it to Surf L, the port side rear ballast fills to 100% and it shows that the port side bow ballast to be at 100%.

This seemed strange to me as it is a single U shaped sac. Is it actually just filling the one side to capacity? I kinda think it is since once the profile was set and the port side bow sac showed to be at 100%, I disabled the speed set, went to the ballast screen and hit fill for the bow (which does not give you the option to fill one side or the other). The ballast pump ran for several minutes before it started emptying out of the vent.

At any rate, I have 520lbs of Pop Bags coming in on Monday which will definitely help with the lack of bow weight at times. Each bag is 40lbs and I'll have 13 of them. I plan on adding them in the following locations:

Port battery locker - 2 bags = 80lbs
    Starboard battery locker - 5 bags = 200lbs (to make up for the extra ~120lbs of the port side stereo batteries)
    Bow - 6 bags = 240lbs

Any suggestions as to where I should place the 6 bags in the bow? Is it better to just space them along the outside of the hull as far up as I can reach, under the factory ballast bag?

Under the removable bow cushion there is a roughly 3" hole (is there supposed to be some sort of cover or plug over this?).

I figured I could open this up a bit and it might allow me to place the 6 bags all the way up in the pickle fork area. Would this be a bad idea? It makes sense to me that the more weight I can get all the way forward in the bow, the lower the bow will be, which should make it easier to get out of the hole with a lot of weight in the rear.

I'm not sure yet how well these bags can be manipulated but there is some unused space behind the bow speakers that would probably work well also.

Thoughts?

I've considered the pop bags for my Rz2 for wakeboarding however with surfing in the RzR as you seemed to find out likes bow weight and your issue is that you like to surf both sides so you can't place them on one side or the other. One idea that you could do would be place 3 on each side as far front as you can get it on each side. Another option would be to place all 6 bags under the bow sac or as far forward you can get them and try and get it dead center on the bow this way it won't favor one side or another. My last suggestion would be place them in a location or box that can easily be moved from side to side and simply have them sitting out (extreme scenario) the last is just kind of a last resort that would be the biggest head ache.

Comment

Originally posted by houstonshark View Post
      I noticed this past weekend that the factory 'Surf L' and 'Surf R' profiles show 100% ballast in the bow but it shows it per side. For example, if you set it to Surf L, the port side rear ballast fills to 100% and it shows that the port side bow ballast to be at 100%.

This seemed strange to me as it is a single U shaped sac. Is it actually just filling the one side to capacity? I kinda think it is since once the profile was set and the port side bow sac showed to be at 100%, I disabled the speed set, went to the ballast screen and hit fill for the bow (which does not give you the option to fill one side or the other). The ballast pump ran for several minutes before it started emptying out of the vent.

At any rate, I have 520lbs of Pop Bags coming in on Monday which will definitely help with the lack of bow weight at times. Each bag is 40lbs and I'll have 13 of them. I plan on adding them in the following locations:

Port battery locker - 2 bags = 80lbs
      Starboard battery locker - 5 bags = 200lbs (to make up for the extra ~120lbs of the port side stereo batteries)
      Bow - 6 bags = 240lbs

Any suggestions as to where I should place the 6 bags in the bow? Is it better to just space them along the outside of the hull as far up as I can reach, under the factory ballast bag?

Under the removable bow cushion there is a roughly 3" hole (is there supposed to be some sort of cover or plug over this?).

I figured I could open this up a bit and it might allow me to place the 6 bags all the way up in the pickle fork area. Would this be a bad idea? It makes sense to me that the more weight I can get all the way forward in the bow, the lower the bow will be, which should make it easier to get out of the hole with a lot of weight in the rear.

I'm not sure yet how well these bags can be manipulated but there is some unused space behind the bow speakers that would probably work well also.

Thoughts?
      Those holes under the bow seat area are access holes to assist in bag removal/assembly. The main bow seat cushion assembly is in there "tight" and probably is not intended to be pulled up on a regular basis.
      From my experience, there is no room under the bow seat once that bag is full unless you put additional weight on top of the upholstery. Too much weight up front you risk dipping the front end in the water if you hit a rolling wake from another boat. Good luck.
      Nick
      Dayton, Ohio

Comment

I don't know how the rzr reacts to bow weight when at slow speeds but my rz2 with 1200lbs in the bow sits pretty low haha like said gotta be careful and aware when slowing down its a two step process get slowed down when bow is coming down gas the front end up a bit then slow back down.

Comment

What is a pop bag?

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnymac View Post
            What is a pop bag?
            small, movable ballast bags filled with steel pellets: http://www.pop-products.com/our-products.html

Comment

My R20 (same hull) loves just 400lbs in the front. Fill the entire thing and focus on the locker weight. Check out my wake on YouTube @ squidswake.

I will put the kids there to equal it up if I have more the six people.
              Squid
              squidswake@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Allan Kendall View Post
                My R20 (same hull) loves just 400lbs in the front. Fill the entire thing and focus on the locker weight. Check out my wake on YouTube @ squidswake.

I will put the kids there to equal it up if I have more the six people.
                Yeah, it's not a issue while surfing but it is for wakeboarding. I cut out the hole below the bow cushion and squeezed in 3 40lb Pop Bags. I'm pretty sure they are impeding the bow sac from filling completely but the bags will be heavier than the water in the same space.

Comment

Working...
                X