Torn lead wake bag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Torn lead wake bag

I just received some 50lb. lead wake bags in the mail. They were wrapped in a USPS box that was severely damaged by the weight and wrapped with a mile of plastic box tape. When attempting to open the box I accidentally cut on of the bags and it went through to the steel inside. The cut is about 1 1/2" long and the steel shot is leaking out. Any ideas how I can save this bag? I do not want the fine lead particles they use to get all over the hull of my boat. TIA

One of my bags blew out in shipping, usps delivered the blown out bag and all the steel shot in a usps shipping container. I purchased a roll top sand bag fitness weight bag and filled it with the steel shot. I did put a trash bag inside of it to keep the steel shot dry.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by cucv View Post
      One of my bags blew out in shipping, usps delivered the blown out bag and all the steel shot in a usps shipping container. I purchased a roll top sand bag fitness weight bag and filled it with the steel shot. I did put a trash bag inside of it to keep the steel shot dry.

Thank You!!!

Comment

The trash bag is a good call, some of my “lead” that gets wet, rusted, obviously not all stainless, or lead, and stained some of my Gator step, it’s all in compartments, so it isn’t the end of the world, but still annoying. I can’t believe they use iron in a product that isn’t water tight, and obviously going to get wet at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Love this idea. Foodsaver bags sealed are also a good solution for the interior seal. I've got a bunch of homemade bags I've done this way. Just have to be sure not to suck all the air out of the Foodsaver bags, just seal them, so they're more "squishy" and can fit into non linear spaces (ie rear lockers)

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Zackdogg View Post

The trash bag is a good call, some of my “lead” that gets wet, rusted, obviously not all stainless, or lead, and stained some of my Gator step, it’s all in compartments, so it isn’t the end of the world, but still annoying. I can’t believe they use iron in a product that isn’t water tight, and obviously going to get wet at some point.

The rust spots drive me insane. I'm using Wake life bags, are there folks using other bags that don't get the rust spots?

I thought about borrowing a vacuum sealer as well but the trash bag was readily available. Definitely important to leave some air space.

I've been thinking of putting my bags in roll top dry bags to kill the rust problem.

Comment

The rust spots drive me insane. I'm using Wake life bags, are there folks using other bags that don't get the rust spots?

I thought about borrowing a vacuum sealer as well but the trash bag was readily available. Definitely important to leave some air space.

I've been thinking of putting my bags in roll top dry bags to kill the rust problem.

Mine are Wake Ballast bags, I have a couple that are like rocks, because I didn’t realize how wet they were, and pull them to dry, and they’re now a chunk of rust, inside. I can’t figure out why they wouldn’t seal them, one way or another, if they are full of iron.

I wonder if the majority of those bags are like made in China type things, that these individual companies see their tag on, and ship out, or if they’re made here. They all look the same.

The dry bags are another good call, I’m going to do something like that, that I won’t have to open the lead bags to make waterproof.

Comment

I think I'll use 10L dry bags for Ballast I don't move and need to fit in tight areas. The 15L bags feel like I have a better handle to move them around. My Ballast bags are in nice shape but still seem to get the rust spots.

Comment

I'm still pushing around 500lbs of "Lead Wake" bags from about 2017, but they're starting to open and leave pellets. I'm going old school and going back to another 900 lbs fat sack on the floor to get the wave I want, and will start leaving the lead on the dock. We ride on a river, and our surfing time on that river is short lived due to complaints of shore erosion and reported waves washing grand babies off docks. (there's nobody out in the mornings when I ride.) Anyhow, it's a half tank of gas out and back to the main body of the lake, so I'm trying to figure out how to make my hobby more long term viable. I'm gonna try wrapping the metal ballast in other bags and see if I can keep it from discoloring my seats.

Comment

Working...
                  X