Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2008 RZ2 Maxing out ballast, bow weight?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2008 RZ2 Maxing out ballast, bow weight?

I recently added ballast to my 2008 RZ2, but not sure I have it dialed in correctly. Here is what I have. 1100lb bags in each rear locker, and 300 lbs in each front lockers. I also have 50lbs lead in the bow. I have a wake shaper on the side.

If I fill the rear bags above 700lbs the wave becomes very short. The wave is good with 700lbs each rear, 300lbs each front and taps set to 0 and speed 12.4. But I would like to get the most out of the ballast.

I'm not totally sure where to go from here. I threw a 400lb sac on the bow seats and it allowed me to up my taps to 4 for a nice wave, but I'm still only at 700lbs rear. Is there a way to use the remaining rear ballast capacity? Seems I'm struggling to get enough bow weight.

Fill the rear surfside 100% and fill the offside 60-70% full. These old boats like to be listed over to the surfside. Running dead flat doesn't make the best wave. You can experiment with the shaper. Some like all the way back but, I prefer about 14-6" from the rear and turned down. I like it forward to keep the rooster tail shooting straight back rather than spraying across the surfside. Taps - 3-4 11.4 mph is my speed in my VE. I also believe regular doesn't like a lot of bow weight whereas goofy does. The bow weight does add length (so does speed) but, it can take away from the push so not always optimal for heavier riders.

Comment

I'll try messing with it more. That's about how I have been running it. I keep the surf side a little heavier, I'll try less on starboard. I've moved my shaper plenty, seems to like around 16" from rear to face.

It's strange I see so many recommending under 12mph. Anything that slow and my wave is non-existent or 3ft long. I'll have to double check GPS speed. It's hard to gauge as I'm usually running on a river with or against current.

Comment

I was able to get a pretty good wave by having 100% surfside ballast and having a good list. Adding a little extra bow weight was also key. I picked up my speed a little too. Looks like my speedometer calibration is way off. GPS is shown 10.4 when I have it set to 12.4.

Comment

Working...
        X