Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help - switch surfboard or adjust the wake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help - switch surfboard or adjust the wake?

Its seems like I'm fighting an issue that I thought was related to my board. I have a 4'8" Broadcast and I was really having to lean on the front of the board to stay in the "pocket" or the sweet spot to feel the "push". So much that I was burying the nose into the water, but this is the only way I could stay in the pocket and surf without the rope. I should also say that this was also very close to the swim platform, about 3' off the platform. I bought a different surf style board and tried it and had the same results. I dont have this issue on other boats, so I guess its wave related and not the board. We have a 2008 22ve and I thought we had it dialed in but maybe not. We have a V ballast bag in the bow (750 lbs?) the large bag that fills the rear locker and storage area (1100 lbs I think) ~10.4 mph I feel like we have the a good wave but I feel like the sweet spot is too close to the boat. Any tips? I attached a picture if that helps.

10.4 is redic slow IMO. I run my VE at 11.4mph, listed damn near to the rub rail with a suckgate approx 16" from the back of the boat on the lower step. Some prefer the gate as far back as possible. I personally find regular doesn't like a lot of bow weight whereas goofy loves bow weight and will throw a couple hundred pounds on top of the bow sac being full. Regular, I maybe fill the bag half way. Approx 1500lbs surf side and about 750lbs on the non surf side. Taps usually around 4.
    How much do you weigh? Running faster of course means the water is going under the board faster which also means the board doesn't sink in to the water as much. I ride my 4'10" Soulcraft or my 56" HiFi Skim at 11.4mph and I'm 225lbs. I can also ride my 10 year olds little Phase 5 or my wife's 4'5". You should have a lot of weight on the front foot. If you don't the board is probably too big. The heel on my back foot is barely touching the board usually. I'd also make sure your hips are over your front foot and your left shoulder down towards the wake.

Comment

Are you pulling yourself in real close and then dropping the rope? Doing this forces you to stay close right behind the boat and doesn't allow to take full control of the wave. Try starting from the back of the wave with weight on your toes and shift your hips forward and you might surprise yourself and find a lot more wave to use.

Comment

10.4 seems slow. We had a 24ve with your similar setup and the wave at 11.2.

we did use the mission gate and didn’t list.

Comment

Coming from a 24Ve, I had same weight as you in the back, but 1/2 as much up front in bow. Using wake shaper about 2 feet forward from stern of boat, I was able to get decent push. Wave pic looks long, which is good, problem is you can’t utilize it sounds like. Lighten up the bow by several hundred pounds and see if that allows the wave to steepen out a bit for the push.

Comment

Thanks for the great feedback, much appreciated. Great tips for me to try. Thanks!!

Comment

Working...
            X