Times to drain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Times to drain?

I just finished installing my 1165lb (140 gallon) bags in my RZ2. Doing some tests in my garage it's taking 41 minutes to drain them. Is this expected? I have the factory Johnson 550gph aerator pumps still in it and a checkvalve on the drain to prevent passive draining. That's only 204 GPH. I know the checkvalve is restricting some.

Is a different aerator pump going to help or do I need to start looking at vane pumps? Suggestions?

I was getting passive drainage out the drain hose, so I added a check valve to add a little back pressure. This stopped the draining, but nearly doubled my drain times. I can’t get the drain hose any higher, the bag is touching the top of the lockers. I’ll check into other pumps. Perhaps I need to route the drains to the bow.

Comment

I removed the check valve and looped the drain hose forward and back, this seems to have stopped my passive draining in the garage test. I suppose I also could have crossed the hose to the other side. I noticed the factory thru-hull is plastic and has much smaller diameter than the bilge thru hull which is metal. So I swapped them. My rate is now 5 gallons/min. That's still 28 minutes to drain. I may have to try larger pumps. Everything in the boat is 3/4" so I hate to replace it all, maybe I'll just get the attwood 800gph (they are only $25 each) pumps and call it good enough for now.

Comment

Well I just ordered the attwood 1200 pumps. I realized I already had one from an old fatsac setup. So $100 more and I'm able to upgrade to 1 1/8 plumbing and bigger pumps. I'll report back my drain times after I have them installed.

Comment

Bigger pumps and/or larger lines is about all you can do. Given the size of the bag and the pressure on the bag you'll want to buy yourself some rubber corks for your empty lines. Even with running listed and cross drained I'll still lose water once running. Corks of course, stop that.

When I got my big bag from MLA I had him install an extra fill & empty port so I could run dual fill & empty with my Tsunami 1200's on new 1" line. I'm glad I did as it sure helps with the times. I then kept my hard tanks on the OEM lines so they have dedicated pumps to them as well.

Comment

Just an update. I installed my attwood 1200 pumps. Drain times are now 10min. Much better. Next I'll have to see about doing my fill pumps.

Comment

Working...
            X