22ve goofy (starboard) side advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

22ve goofy (starboard) side advice needed

2008 22ve: We have ballast bags in the bow and a large bag in the port/stern locker (up to 980 lbs) This works great, problem is my son is goofy and would prefer to surf on the starboard side. I dont want to install and plumb another large bag on the goofy side and lose all the storage. Im considering buying a 490 lb universal fit bag instead and fill it with a portable pump. My questions is, if I put the 490 lb bag and maybe a passenger in the goofy corner, will this be enough to surf on that side? (with the regular port side empty).

Without knowing your sons weight I will say possibly but, not well?

I run bow sac full plus another 200lbs of lead on top. Starboard 250lbs hard tank full with a Wakemakers 610lbs full in the locker. I then have 100lbs of lead at my feet and another 100lbs under the seat right in the corner. Port side is then 250lbs hard tank full and possibly 400lbs in my 1200lbs bag? I'll fill the port bag and then dump while running until I get a smooth face on the surf side. It's easier to get a cleaner wave on the starboard side than the port.

11.4-11.6 mph Taps 3-4.

It's a pain sometimes to constantly switch all the life jackets or wetsuits from one rear locker to the other but, I've come to terms with it. If you haven't ripped out the cooler under the passenger seat do it immediately! It adds a lot of storage. I keep 150-200lbs of lead in here plus, my compressor, tool box, blow up mat pumps etc.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BCRider; 02-09-2022, 11:48 PM. Reason: adding info

Comment

I would upgrade to the large sac and just not fill it all the way if you need to keep the storage. Can always add more to a bigger bag but not a smaller one. 490lbs is not a lot of weight for that boat, maybe look at adding some lead.
      Last edited by bsreid; 02-10-2022, 03:35 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the input, much appreciated. My son is only about 150 lbs and he's a novice surfer. Here's what I think I'll do: 490lb "universal fit" bag in the rear starboard locker and add lead under the starboard passenger seat. I think I'll also try a wake shaper. Thoughts?

Comment

The 610lbs bag fills the whole locker area without going under the seat. I'd suggest getting the largest bag possible and not filling all the way if you still want room left.

Absolutely to a wakeshaper! I am pro shaper (approx 16" from the rear) and listed to the rub rail for best results. You can see how much my boat is leaning in the above photo. Some say you can weight a VE evenly with a shaper and get a good wave but, I completely disagree. My experience has proven otherwise. Leaning the boat over removes the line in the wave and stops it from rolling over on itself (see pic). Weighting a VE is not the same port and starboard. Port requires more weight and less bow weight whereas I find Starboard loves bow weight and is easier to get a clean wave due to prop rotation.
          Attached Files

Comment

[QUOTE=BCRider;n1263180]The 610lbs bag fills the whole locker area without going under the seat. I'd suggest getting the largest bag possible and not filling all the way if you still want room left.

Great! This sounds encouraging for my son. Can you tell me where to get the 610 lb bag you mentioned? Or the brand? Definitely looking to fill that locker without going under the seat. Thanks again!

Comment

The bag I have in the rear starboard side is one of these: https://www.wakemakers.com/wakemaker...llast-bag.html

It's been a while since I've measured so I'd tell you to do that first but, I'm pretty sure mine is the 610lbs bag. Adding 500lbs in lead made a massive difference in both my waves (L&R) and helps tweak your wave by throwing bags where you need them. I have 100lbs on each side under the seats where the bags go that I don't ever move, usually have 100lbs at my feet at the helm and the rest in the old cooler location under the spotter seat that I move around as needed.

Comment

Thanks, very helpful. Im going to ask a dumb question...If I decide to plumb this bag, that means drilling another thru-hull intake in the bottom of the boat right? Or is there a way to tap into the port side intake?

Comment

What pump do you currently have and what size is the thru hull?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Comment

You don't have to drill a new thru hull but, I'd tell you that you are better off to do so....even if at a later date. If you share an existing and T off you can only fill one side at a time. If you add another you can then fill at the same time which of course, only speeds up the process.

You can also decide whether you do a reversible pump or Tsunami's as I have.

I got the 1200lbs bag from Chptril on here on my port side which is plumbed in as dual fill/empty with Tsunami pumps. My starboard side bag is T off'd one of the fill lines from the port side. My 09 also has the 250lbs hard tanks which I've kept on the OEM pumps for fill/empty. 14 pumps in total as the bow is also OEM dual fill/empty.
                    Attached Files

Comment

If you have any other questions or want to see more pictures feel free to text me. I can do this all day long

six 0 four - eight three five - five six three six

Comment

Originally posted by cucv View Post
                        What pump do you currently have and what size is the thru hull?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
                        I think the intake is 3/4" but I'll have to verify. Maybe 1"? The pumps are Johnson reversible/impeller type.

Comment

Will this work? Ballast Add.jpg

Comment

Two same type pumps can work simultaneously off the same properly sized intake.
                            Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Working...
                            X