Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mission Delta 2.0 Wakeshaper - good for goofy bad for regular?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mission Delta 2.0 Wakeshaper - good for goofy bad for regular?

I have the Delta Wakeshaper 2.0 that I run with a 2014 Tige RZR. I find it works amazingly well for goofy riders (i.e. shaper on the port side, rider on starboard). It cleans up an otherwise washy wake and gives it a lot more push and height.

However, when i try to use it for regular riders (i.e. shaper on starboard side, rider on port) it creates some kind of undertow is the only way I can describe it. It makes it hard to get up and the board seems to be in a constant state of unseen turbulence that makes it nearly impossible to ride (I've been riding for 5 years so I'm a strong intermediate rider. It's unusable for beginners).

I've tried multiple setups - equal ballast in both sides and a traditional weighted ballast to list the boat to the port for a regular rider.

Anyone else have a similar experience? What am I missing?

The wake devise is not changing in size or rake and the hull should be symmetrical. So this leaves us with prop wash as the one variable. We know that due to prop wash, the port and starboard setups are rarely identical. From boat to boat, they can be a little different to a lot different. Wake device placement, ballast, speed and TAPS setting could all be different between the STBD side and PORT side.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Thanks for the input. Yes, I definitely think the prop wash is the issue (couldn't remember the name - xmas brain).

Shaper Placement - The range of the device placement is limited, mainly due to the hull design and water level. You simply can't put it too far forward or much variance on the high low - really just a few inches either way for practical resons, but I could revisit.

Speed - I now have a GPS set up vs the paddle wheel (I highly recommend after going through a couple of paddle wheels in short order www.nauticlaugic.com). I have tried going from 10.2 (wake does not form well below that) and up to 11.6 in .2 increments. There was not much change.

Ballast - I could probably revisit this. I do recall trying one side then both sides full with minimal difference. I did not try it with no ballast however.

TAPS - I've tried this on TAPS 3-5 but nothing outside of that. That's certainly a variable that deserves more exploration.

If anyone has solved for this, I'd love to hear to help take out all the guesswork.

Comment

When we had our 2014 Z1 we had the opportunity to try almost every major wake shaper on the market. We noticed a significant difference in the wake shapers, as one might expect. However, one clearly stood out head and shoulders above the rest (and there's video on here somewhere I believe). The Wakesurf Edge worked really well for us. Now, here's the kicker; we know for a fact it didn't work nearly as well as some of the others on different model Tiges. I am a firm believer after all of that testing that there is NOT a one size fits all shaper that is better than all the others on all models. The Mission Delta worked awesome on an early model Tige (99 I believe), but we saw very little return on our 2014. I guess what I am getting at is you might want to get a hold of a couple different wake shapers to try their effectiveness. I would recommend the Wakesurf Edge, the Swell, and the Nauticurl, but there are others out there as well. There are enough of these out on the water now that I am sure you can switch for a day with someone else instead of sinking your money into something without knowing the results. Good Luck.

Comment

You will definitely want ballast on both sides, regardless of which side you are surfing. However, it would not surprise me one bit that the regular surf side setup is different from the goofy side setup.
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

We used the mission on our 06 24 VE with some good results. We equally weighted both sides and then move people as the added ballast. The goofy wave was always better. But the biggest help to the regular wave was now weight. I usually added 4-600 to the bow and it seemed to help both sides.

Comment

On my 2014 Z3 we used both a Mission 1.0 and eventually a 2.0. Definitely had to make adjustments for the regular side wave.
              Generally was related to the bow weight as mentioned above. But since we already had bow weight, it usually meant letting out a little water from the rear sacks, or making someone sit up front.

But we could always dial in a killer wave on both sides. Just sometimes took a few extra tweaks on the regular side.

Comment

Ever creates some kind of "undertow".
                Drive

Comment

Working...
                X