16' R22 w/ taps3, xl ballast goofy side wave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

16' R22 w/ taps3, xl ballast goofy side wave

Ok, so I have been able to dial in the surf wave with ballast, taps & taps3. The issue............the goofy wave is not nearly as good. I'm assuming the rotation of the prop may have something to do with it or IDK? What are you R22/RZ2 guys doing with you taps3 equiped boats? I'm looking for a comparable goofy side wave.

Note, I have confirmed all the tabs work perfect via surf mode in dealer settings.

Re-post per freeheel4life recommendation. Thanks.

I'm assuming you have your actuators mounted to the swim platform and not the transom?? Is your wave non existent or just lacking??

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
      I'm assuming you have your actuators mounted to the swim platform and not the transom?? Is your wave non existent or just lacking??
      Correct, actuators mounted to swim step. Wave is HEAVILY washed out and not very big.

Comment

Have a helper to run the demo and push up on the tav slightly while in Demo mode.

https://youtu.be/gN575ojLEZI
        ^^^If it does this then the plate is likely flipping over

if it doesn't cam over and bind add some resistance when the actuator deploys and see if it can push thru the resistance. Typically your complaint is actuator related.

If you are willing to spend some money moving to GSA/transom mounted plates would be the way to go.

Comment

So......the cam over happens only when there is resistance? It will act normal when out of the water and no resistance? I've heard some of the early tabs did this then it was addressed by Tige. Is that right?

Nothing looks bent. Both tabs look straight and the same.

What did tige do to fix it? Wondering if you could just drill a new hole back farther and avoid the cam over issue. Or maybe fab a little bracket to move the attachment point further towards the back of the tab.

Comment

There was a little bracket you attached to the plate that spanned over the hinge.

It will only cam over with some upward force. Doesn't take more than a couple pounds of force tho to move it up....ballasted boat with water running across it is more than enough to cam it up into a bind.

Just moving the to the transom mounted geometry is the real way to go.

Comment

So after seeing your youtube video and re-creating that scenario it definitely has the cam over issue.

So.......will Tige do anything about this? Where can you get the bracket needed to correct?

If I were to attach the actuator to the transom, would I need a different size? Seems like it..

Comment

There was a little bracket you attached to the plate that spanned over the hinge.

It will only cam over with some upward force. Doesn't take more than a couple pounds of force tho to move it up....ballasted boat with water running across it is more than enough to cam it up into a bind.

Just moving the to the transom mounted geometry is the real way to go.
                So after seeing your youtube video and re-creating that scenario it definitely has the cam over issue.

So.......will Tige do anything about this? Where can you get the bracket needed to correct?

If I were to attach the actuator to the transom, would I need a different size? Seems like it..

Comment

Same stroke actuators. You need some swivel kits that are made by Lenco. Tige quit using that system and went to Parker but they may still have some swivels in stock. Either get your dealer to order you some or try to get ahold of Tige direct.

Or make your own blocks that span the hinges. I don't have any but could draw it out for you if you want to go that route

Comment

Same stroke actuators. You need some swivel kits that are made by Lenco. Tige quit using that system and went to Parker but they may still have some swivels in stock. Either get your dealer to order you some or try to get ahold of Tige direct.

Or make your own blocks that span the hinges. I don't have any but could draw it out for you if you want to go that route
                    I would be interested in trying the blocks first I suppose. So, yes if you could sketch one that would be great. I have the equipment to fab something simple.

Comment

Well I don't know why but it's not letting me upload attachments. Shoot me a PM with your email please

Comment

Well I don't know why but it's not letting me upload attachments. Shoot me a PM with your email please
                        Your message box is full I guess. Let me know and I'll send again. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by John Sordi View Post

Your message box is full I guess. Let me know and I'll send again. Thanks.

My dealer is hesitating to mount to the transom after talking to the Tige rep. Not sure why no one wants to help fix the issue.

Can you pm me so I can see the drawing of the bracket mock up please? Boat is just sitting at dealer after service now. Thank you.

Comment

I don’t have any familiarity with the cam issue, except that it occurs. I have had to mess with my actuators a couple of times, and mounted my GSA, plates, so I’m plenty familiar with the Lenco actuators, Taps and GSA plates. If you can work a drill, and a tube of 5200, it isn’t hard to do yourself, or if nothing else, guessing an independent boat shop will do it. I know my dealer constantly tells me no, because they don’t want to do stuff that takes extra time, or doesn’t pay a ton. Our local Nautique dealer treats me wayyyyyy better than my Tige dealer does, to the point I don’t go to the Tige dealer, at all, anymore.

If you can find the max down angle, and stowed angle, which I’m guessing a bunch of guys on here know, for the taps plates. You can figure out where to mount the actuator on the transom. Watch the GSA install videos. It’s the exact same theory, it will just be to the angles you need. You just have to drill the holes for the actuators in the right spot, and fill everything with 5200 when you put back together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Tige has apparently found a pallet of these swivel brackets but getting them to send them to my dealer is proving to be difficult. Can't get a return call back to confirm shipping and mounting locations for the transom and tab itself.

Anybody have some insight how to get someone to respond? This has been going on for months now. Wondering if I should just do something else. Incredible how Tige knows this was a major defect and does nothing about it.

Comment

Working...
                              X