2012 Z3 rear port ballast drain pump access

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2012 Z3 rear port ballast drain pump access

I have a Z3 with rear port ballast drain pump that is not working. It is blowing the fuse when you try to drain. Figure the pump is likely burned out or has a short. all 4 other drain pumps working. the Drain all switch activates the other 3 and the Tige Touch can activate the others, but when activating that one it blows the 5 amp fuse under the dash in the fuse panel.
    I figured out where it is located in the bilge under the floor at the back of the hard tank under the batteries. But how do you get access to it? How would someone replace it?

Gotta move the batteries and remove the false floor over the pump/tank.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Thanks, I had the batteries out yesterday, but did not see a way to remove the floor. It seems to be one piece all the way forward over top of the tank, not just a piece under the plastic battery base. I assume I need to look for hidden screws in the carpet? I'll give it another shot now and get those batteries back out again.

Comment

Well, I removed the batteries and battery tray. The vertical back wall separating the storage compartment from the battery compartment sits on top of the floor so I also removed that. Quite a job since you have to disconnect the12 volt outlet, the compartment light and the battery switch. Also the mount for the strut that holds the hatch cover open also attaches to that wall, so I took off the whole hatch cover to keep it from banging down on my head. Now I have that vertical wall removed there is a lot more room to stick my head in behind the motor, but I still think there are a lot more things to remove on top of the false floor before it could be removed. So I'm going to stick my head down in there and see what I can see and reach first before proceeding any further.

Comment

So, once I removed the back wall of the storage compartment and the batteries, I had lots of room and could reach under to the pump and release the catch and twist the top to remove the pump from the pump body. I twisted it manually to set if it was moving freely. It was just a bit stiff at first, but turned easily after that. Hooked up the batteries and applied power and the pump spun OK. no fuses blown!!!. So maybe the pump was just stuck!
          So I put the pump back into the pump body, replaced everything and took the boat for a spin. Filled the tank a bit and emptied several times and so far so good. Now I just have to wait for the smoke to clear so we can wakeboard or surf again. Can't even see out of the bay for the widfire smoke. Major fire only 10 miles away across the lake. Thanks cpthrill for pointing me in the right direction, but did not have to remove the false floor after all. One thing I learned was to put down a towel to save my knees and elbows from the rough marine carpet. Also removing that back wall of the storage compartment, the compartment light did not have disconnects in the wiring Pulled the wires out from the connectors getting it out, so I now have quick connects in case I have to do it again. Don't know how long this pump will last. Next time I explore new territory in the boat I will take pictures and video of each step and the fasteners so I know exactly how to put it back together again.

Comment

Where was your drain pump connected to the hard tank?
            Was it on the side of tank toward the back?

Comment

On my Z3, On the rear of hard tank next to transom. If you look across the back of the motor to the opposite side with a light you can see the red color of the pump. But you can’t reach under from the same side without removing the back wall of the storage compartment. The battery is behind that wall on the port side while the taps pump is behind it on the starboard side. Once removed you have a lot more room and can reach it and flip the latch to remove the pump from its body. You can practice on the intake pumps under the floorboards first. The. You can pull it out with only the wires attached. I just manually spun mine and it freed up I could test it from Tige Touch with the pump out and it spun freely under power so I jus reinserted it twist to lock and no trouble since

Comment

I have a 2013 Z1.
                The rear drain pumps are the only one I haven’t put my hands on yet.
                I’m thinking the boats are very similar.
                Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                X