2017 R22 Surf Setup HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2017 R22 Surf Setup HELP!

So I’ve been playing with all different types of setups and still don’t feel like I have enough push when surfing. I’ve currently landed on 100% full on the XL ballast, center taps at 4, taps 3 on 4 and I use a HX3 wake shaper. I also have 150lbs of lead in each rear locker and another 200 I stick up against the ice chest in towards the bow. Just seems like I’m barely getting enough push for a normal rider and definitely not enough for my big self. I run at 10.8-10.9 mph

Been playing with it for several seasons now and need one of you pros to help me out with figuring out a solution to get this thing dialed! Pa-lease!

2017 should have TAPS 3. You are running a shaper and TAPS 3??

Comment

Run taps 3 or shaper, not both. Taps 3 effectively take weight out of rear in the form of lift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Take the shaper off and run TAPS 3. I would drain your front bags to 60%. Bump up to 11-11.2MPH. You said you were big, what size are you and what board are you riding?

Comment

I’m 6’-4” 350 and ride a phase 5 Kong..I know I’m pushing it. I do have taps 3…tried every setting possible and have found the wake shaper to work better than taps 3. I got more push with it than I did with taps 3. Ive ran 100 in back, 55 up front…I’ve tried speeding up to 11-11.2….added 350lbs of lead to the boat. My buddy who’s a great boarder at 170 still struggles some. He can drop the rope but the push in my opinion is weak compared to similar size 22’ crafts.

Comment

Seems like you are evenly weighted? Are you riding regular or goofy wave?

I have an R23 so it’s a different hull, but has Taps3. My best wave requires me to list a little. With 500lbs lead, all of it probably needs to be in the rear.
            Try 350lbs lead in surf side rear locker remaining 150lbs in offside locker. 100% everywhere except non-surf side front. Run it at 45-85%. Run taps with biggest number that forms a clean wake (4-7) closer to 7 is better. Doubt the wave is clean greater than 7. This means there’s less plate in the water providing less lift in the rear which allows the hull to be deeper in the water. Hull deeper in water means bigger wave. center taps at 4. With boat sitting in water, you should have a slight list to the surf side. This is for regular side. If you are goofy, may need to move more or all of the lead to surf side rear locker. Goofy wave normally needs more list than regular wave.

A second try would be all lead in surf side locker and increase/decrease off side front ballast. Best to set center plate at 4 and Taps at biggest number with clean wave then move weight around

Comment

I ride goofy. Typically past 5 on taps 3 my wakes goes to **** but I haven’t tried all the weight in one locker yet and offsetting the fronts

Comment

So a bit of an update. I’ve tried most everything but what Bamer has posted above so I’ll try that before completely giving up.

But..

I surfed behind my friends 2020 Axis T22 and dropped rope instantly and surfed like a boss with ease when I haven’t been able to the entire 4 years I’ve owned the boat …so bottom line this R22 surf wave is weak sauce! This whole time I wasn’t sure if it was me and my size or the boat. It’s the boat!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bosshog64 View Post
                  I ride goofy. Typically past 5 on taps 3 my wakes goes to **** but I haven’t tried all the weight in one locker yet and offsetting the fronts
                  I bet you have to original brackets on the TAPs3 plates and that’s why above 5 your wave washes out. The brackets update was just for improved reliability of the actuators and not a surf performance improvement. So don’t use the higher settings if it washes out the wave.

Comment

Originally posted by Bosshog64 View Post
                    So a bit of an update. I’ve tried most everything but what Bamer has posted above so I’ll try that before completely giving up.

But..

I surfed behind my friends 2020 Axis T22 and dropped rope instantly and surfed like a boss with ease when I haven’t been able to the entire 4 years I’ve owned the boat …so bottom line this R22 surf wave is weak sauce! This whole time I wasn’t sure if it was me and my size or the boat. It’s the boat!!
                    I have a 2019 R22, the wave is killer when it’s setup correctly.
                    50 50
                    100 70
                    Taps 4, surf 4

I tried adding a wake shaper (wakesurf edge mega) to the mix and it completely ruined the wave. Zero push (even with a very fast quad fin board), lost 8” in height. It did clean up the face of the wave but that’s about it.

For my setup, it’s about knee/thigh high and hella long.

I’ve spent the past few years of owning it to try and figure out settings, and this seems to be what works best. It only gets better w more people too!

This was w 2 people in the boat and a ~700lb sac on the cockpit floor biasing the surf side.

Comment

Originally posted by iknowjake View Post

I have a 2019 R22, the wave is killer when it’s setup correctly.
                      50 50
                      100 70
                      Taps 4, surf 4

I tried adding a wake shaper (wakesurf edge mega) to the mix and it completely ruined the wave. Zero push (even with a very fast quad fin board), lost 8” in height. It did clean up the face of the wave but that’s about it.

For my setup, it’s about knee/thigh high and hella long.

I’ve spent the past few years of owning it to try and figure out settings, and this seems to be what works best. It only gets better w more people too!

This was w 2 people in the boat and a ~700lb sac on the cockpit floor biasing the surf side.
                      Based on the ballast percentages, putting all 500lbs lead in surf side locker will be key, but may need little higher percentage in front than 50/50

Comment

Working...
                      X