Johnson Ballast Pump Not Running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Johnson Ballast Pump Not Running

Need some help troubleshooting a ballast pump issue. Have an '06 22Ve that came with 3 Johnson Taluluah reversible pumps (dated 2012, part no 10-24690-03). First trip out this season I noticed the bow pump wasn't running. Doesn't make any sound forward or reverse. I'm far from a boat electrical expert, but all three appear to be run off the main bus under the cockpit. In fact, they're somehow tied to the "tower" rocker switch, as that has to be on to run them. Underneath there seems to be a breaker panel which all looks fine and I don't see any fuses anywhere.
    The other two pumps are working fine, it's just the bow pump. I've looked through the site quite a bit and not found anything super helpful, so hoping someone might have some insight.
    What I did pick up reading is that these can/should be mounted any way other than pump over motor - which 2 out of 3 of mine are this way, including the "dead" one.

So, is there any way I can verify this thing is dead? Can I put a multimeter on it somewhere? Is there anything else anyone can think of to "troubleshoot"?

Impeller looks good and I tried "forcing some water through (with the switch on) to see if I couldn't "jump start" it sort of. Seems like it's shot, but I'd like to be sure before shelling out for a new one.

TIA

Blake

With a volt meter, you need to determine if the switch has its needed voltage and ground into it the switch when off. Then you need to determine if there is voltage and ground leaving the switch to the pump when its in the fill and drain positions.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

^^^what Mike said....but also if the pump is dated 2012 there's no way its a Talulah. Maybe you meant to type 2021?? What size are the hoses?? Tallulah are massive and run a 1 and 1/4 hose

Comment

After Jabsco released the "King", Johnson released their new hi-flow Talulah. The old "Ultra-Ballast became the standard Talulah pump. So if his 06 was outfitted with Johnson reversible pumps prior to 2018 or 19, it would have the old Ultra-Ballast pumps, but they are identical to what you would find in a search that would yield the 13.5 GPM Talulah.
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Sorry, Talulah came up when I put the part number into the Johnson website, so I thought that name had been around. They're probably the Ultra-Ballast, the date is definitely 2012 and not this year.

Thanks Mike, that's probably a good place to start. Since the other 2 are working, I should be able to see what their voltages look like for comparison. If it is shot, what would you recommend as a replacement?

Comment

Working...
          X